Thursday, October 4, 2007

Community Garden of the Month

Since this blog is hosted by the community newspaper, I think it only fair to note some community gardens. Those of you who drive on Providence Blvd will easily recognize this garden at the top of the hill. I have been noticing this garden for about two or three years and have always been meaning to write a letter to the editor to say how much I enjoy it. One thing leads to another and I never did. Now I want to let the gardeners (not sure who they are but I think the New Providence Civitan Club maintains this garden) know how much I appreciate this garden. The color is always outstanding. I saw a group of gardeners planting it in the springtime and I have seen one other person out there as well and they are doing a good job. A lot of thought goes into developing and planting a community garden like this. Sometimes people don't take the time to say how much they appreciate it and so now is my time to say I appreciate it!

There are other community gardens around Clarksville and they do bring a special feeling to the community. I am not sure who started the "Adopt a Plot" program and I know it has been hard at times to get people to maintain the gardens regularly, but it was a super idea and one I hope continues. Kudos to all of the volunteers who maintain the community gardens and give freely of their precious time. It is one thing growing a garden for one's own pleasure, quite another doing it for a community and I say, "Hats off" to them!

in the garden....

3 comments:

  1. These community gardens are one thing that the Saint and I take notice in with each Clarksville visit! I have enjoyed watching them develop with each visit over the years. They make me proud to say I am from Clarksville. I think the city has cleaned up a lot in the past year or so and I truly believe the intersection gardens make a difference! Thanks so much for your time and efforts to all involved in these beautiful venues…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know who started with this idea or where it came from? I think it was well before my time but it is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure who spearheaded the gardens but they have been doing it for some time now....

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!