Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Itty Bitty Bottle Tree

My husband and myself met at a compromise, I had purchased large wine bottles off EBay to make a bottle tree in the yard, all the bottles are green. I had difficulty finding any other color let alone dealing with my husband's expression, once I told him my plans for them.

A meeting of the minds, bitty bottles that are available in the beauty section, the gourmet section and perhaps the cooking oils, who knows...? This was hubby's idea, Ah, Ha! When I got them home though and ready to place on my tree, I noticed the blue and purple bottle was actually painted on the outside. So I clear coated them, all of them. I figured it couldn't hurt considering the harsh winters in Maine. Hummm, maybe there is an idea for the future.

I chose my pruned beech tree that is the backdrop to my corner flower bed. Here is the vision from the road. I have eight bottles in all, not included in the picture above is two clear ones. I just put them on my tree a hour ago, I imagine my son might have something to say about it when he gets off the bus. If he notices that is....

The view from my driveway. I can hardly see the blue one closest to the bottom of the tree. I plan to add more bottles as time allows me to collect them. Any ideas about the evergreen next to this tree, you can see it better in the first picture. I topped it this year and have spent several years pruning it to thicken it up, I would like to spiral it. I tried once and almost killed it.

This is my favorite way to look at my tree, from the treeline with my street as the backdrop. I can barely see the purple bottle at the top and I might rearrange them at another time. I'm giving everyone in my town, a chance to tell me about it.
Whoops! A few days later I added 3 more bottles. (shucks! I broke the yellow one!)
In The Garden...catching evil spirits.

24 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn, your tree looks great. I love how you say that you will hear what your community thinks about it, HA. Are you expecting positive or negative thoughts? Positive I hope, the world needs way more light heartedness and this supplies that with gusto! Keep collecting those bottles!
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect......"Some kind of special christmas lighting?" So far, nothing. Not even from the 15 year old! I do enjoy the tree tho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dawn, I like the blue bottle bottom right. I think it shows up best! I love these bottles for a window sill too, with one flower in each one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn,

    I love the miniature bottle tree! It will ward off the spirits, too. How clever to realize the bottled needed to be clear coated! A great reminder to us if we want to try this in our gardens! Thanks! Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love bottle trees, I think they are so neat. They used to be so popular in the rural South and seem to be making a comeback. Good idea about the clear coating. I know I wouldn't have thought of that.

    Jan
    Always Growing

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's cute! I'd like to see it up close with the sun shining thru the different glass.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very festive, Dawn! I have to say the deep blue bottles are my favorite, too. I'd love to know if you get comments from the neighbors:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning All,
    Dawn I love the natural bottle tree. I think it looks great. Good idea to clear coat them. You're sure to catch a lot of evil spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it looks great and it is even better you put it by the road so your neighbors can see it. You guys in Maine need some bright color in the wintertime, and it is fun to stir things up a bit too:) I bet you'll get all positive comments. Even from Jack of all Trades!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen those, and I love them! I don't have a small tree where I could do that, otherwise, I'd have them all over. I love color, so they are right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dawn, I Love your bottle selection for the itty bitty tree! With the title, I was not sure where you were going with that itty bitty. You know there was a itty bitty committee back in high school... tee hee...

    I dont think the Saint could deal with a bottle tree although he found the forks, knives, spoons, cups and saucers wind chimes neat at the craft fair the other day! lol...

    Have a good day everyone, I am busy busy busy...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wouldn't worry about the son's reaction. I've found in my lifetime that the male species do not notice much. I've always wanted a bottle tree. Maybe I shall create one myself. My husband never goes outside, so it wouldn't matter to him much what I did out there.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had never seen or even heard of a bottle tree till on this blog but I love them and want one but don't have a tree small enough so need to make something someday. Good for you for doing it. Will be interesting to see the Maine reaction to it. Let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a creative way to add some color to the garden at this time of the year Dawn. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoops, I forgot but I meant to say Happy Anniversay to my daughter and son-in-law!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi guys,
    Thanks for all the nice compliments on my tree, I've wanted one for quite some time now and I always thought I'd do a evergreen but decided on this one because IT IS in the right place.
    Jack of all Trades thinks it looks good there and yep, my son didn't notice.
    I have about 4'' of wet, big flaked, snow and it's still coming down! The bottles pop with the snow but only half of them show! Can't wait to see my tree when it gets leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah yes Mom, the anniversary. Yahoo! 15 years and still counting. I put a blurb about the anniversary in Friday's post, along with a picture of Mr. Fix-it and I. You should love it. Thanks for remembering!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, Dawn--Love the bottle tree--your neighbors should appreciate it in the absence of leaves and flowers. Dawn and Lola and Skeeter and Tina, I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving--in or out of your respective gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  19. what happens in the spring when the leaves start to sprout?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi guys,
    I think most of the neighbors will like it, the people driving by might have something to look forward too but probaly won't run out and get one for their yard. @:?) Shammickite, I'm thinking the leaves in the bottles will still sprout only not so big. They may end up getting burnt, I think the bottles will be like a saunna for them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. the light shining thru them as they sit there on your railing is beautiful...seems like i remember the tree thing from a movie...happy thanksgiving to you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The "HAPPIEST OF THANKSGIVING" to you & your family, Dawn.
    Boy, snow, what a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your bottle tree. And I know if there's evil spirits close by they will be quelled.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Marmee, The skys broke loose on me twice while I was clear coating my bottles, you can tell in the pic with them lined up. The photo did come out neat with the sun giving it a great try!
    TC, thank-you....so far, so good.
    Lola and all, Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy, feast and be merry!

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!