Monday, February 15, 2010

Trees With and Without Leaves in Winter

From In the Garden


What is a gardener to do in the winter when the garden is asleep, the trees are bare, the sun is low and it is just too cold to garden? Well, take pictures of course and see what is interesting in the garden even without the dressings of the spring, summer and fall garden seasons.

One of my most indispensable type of trees in my garden are Japanese maples. I am most fond of them because of their colors, their growth habit, their form, structure and year round interest. A very special tree is my 'Sango Kaku' Japanese maple, aka Coral Bark Japanese maple, aka Christine's Tree. Can you see from the above picture why it is called the Coral Bark Japanese maple?

During the cold of winter the newer limbs of the Coral Bark Japanese maples can glow with a vivid red color. They are really colorful against a blue sky or neutral background. The neutral background in this case is an oak tree that holds on to its leaves all winter (I believe it is a Willow Oak).

Just look around for interest in the garden. You don't need fancy or special trees in order to have interest. Interest is everywhere-you need only look. Trees are one of the most valuable resources we have in this world (in my humble opinion). They are more precious than the most precious mineral or gem because they provide us with so much-think shade, oxygen, moderation of temperatures, beauty, and value. Trees are a renewable resource but one that takes many many years to replace and I don't know about you, but I only have one lifetime and I want to enjoy my trees-now-so I take care of my trees and value them each day.

Some interesting trees during the winter include: sycamores, J. maples, birch trees, all evergreens, hickories, Kentucky coffee bean tree, oaks, crabapples, pines, magnolias, sumacs, junipers, beeches, and many more. These trees don't necessarily need leaves to provide interest in the garden.

What types of trees do you find interesting in the winter and why?

Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team,

In the Garden

20 comments:

  1. lovely post on winter trees. I like those trees with red leaves in winter they look beautiful. We have dombeya pink ball flowering in winter with very pretty blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oaks, especially young ones, retain their leaves here in MI. Also some Japanese maples. I tend to be a shrub person (easier to see blooms at a lower height than trees) and really like viburnum buds over the witner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too like the Japanese Maples...need to get one. I love the Red buds this time of the year, they are putting on a show around town, need one of these too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful red bark...very fetching indeed!

    I love the Aspens around here in the winter. They are pretty in all seasons, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you, Tina--I'm a definite tree lover, too. In fact, I've often said I couldn't live in a new house in a brand new subdivision if it meant there were no mature trees. My house may not be anything fancy, but I do have trees! Our pines look lovely with all the snow we've had, but I really couldn't pick out a favorite. Another advantage to trees in winter is the refuge for the birds, which means Sophie, Toby, and I have plenty of entertainment right outside our window all winter long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. White birch hold interest for me during winter, especially when there's no snow. Another good one is paper bark maple, its bark appears to be pealing away, kinda looks like shredded paper. Perhaps they should've named it shredded paper bark maple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning all! I forgot to say Happy President's Day! We've had six snow days here so far and the school system voted to have school today to make up for lost days. Guess what? Yup, it snowed and school was canceled. Funny! It keeps me relaxing though so I don't complain. Great ideas on trees-some I never even thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning. I agree, some of the shaggy barked hickories and birches are more appreciated in the winter when their trunks and branches can be better seen.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw something so beautifully red the other day but it was shrub-like. I can't beat the birch, white on white...hum, at least most years when we have snow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too like the Japanese Maples. Sure would like to have one but they are so pretty I can't decide which I like best. Birches are pretty also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love that red bark, just gorgeous. I also agree with trees being so very important to us all and that makes some of the recycling we do that much more important.

    In the winter I usually love the white birch. I love sitting in my chair and looking out the window at a big clump of them and watching the snow, wind and cold make them almost lie down on the ground and then popping back up with no harm to them. Mother nature is just so incredible. However this winter they are standing tall and straight. There may be just a slight chance of us getting about an inch or 2 of snow tomorrow but with our bare ground it sure will look better out my window.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do love Japanese Maples, but they do not grow here in the Arizona desert. However, Palo Verde trees are indispensable for beautiful color (green trunks) in the winter :^)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so agree with you about trees even without leaves adding interest. I love your Coral Bark maple, they are just beautiful! I think my Japanese maple adds the most interest of my deciduous trees in my yard too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have to say the pine trees are my favorite during the winter months. They have green color to enjoy as do the holly trees, spruces, cedars, oh heck, I would have to say all evergreen trees are my winter favorites...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tina, a though-provoking post! Glad you are enjoying the snow! We escaped it today and what fell on Saturday melted quickly. It was very pretty.

    I love our Japanese Maple any day of the year. It changes and even bare, I find it so pretty.

    Our Oakleaf Hollies are favorites, too. Always a luscious green, though the new growth is lighter. The honey bees swarm it in spring, then the birds eat berries through the winter.

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the form of Loblolly Pines every month of the year. Also the bark of Sycamores, young River Birch, and Red Maples.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You may be interested in a new to me Japanese Maple named 'Aoyagi'. It is similar to Coral Bark, but has lime green stems instead of red. I can see them planted next to each other for effect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tina, the Japanese Maple is beautiful. Such bright colores limbs in the winter would put a smile on anyone's face. Any bit of color when there is snow knee deep is much appreciated here. I suppose that is why I love the evergreens like pines and spruces.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are right, Tina...blooms and/or leaves aren't necessary for interest...'magic' can be found in the garden year round, as you said in an earlier post. I don't have a japanese maple but do enjoy them. Oaks are plentiful here, and appreciated (year round)--I like their bark, and how the leaves just never want to let go. Leland cypress here provide green and a place for the birds in winter, but the bare limbs of maple and poplar provide good landing spots for my birds and I can watch them. If it weren't for the bare limbs I wouldn't see as many standing and sitting around all day each winter.I most appreciate the holly trees, I think, for their steadfast color and beauty. At least one has snapped in half and I dread having to cut that off...but it will send out new growth. I think it would be hard to kill them, so at least there is hope for the tree to grow over time.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!