Monday, May 24, 2010

Dave and the Plant Swap

From In the Garden
Plant swaps on a grand scale are always fun. Not only do you get to meet other gardeners but you get some interesting plants too. Plant swaps on the state level-okay-middle of the state level are even more fun when a fellow blogger invites you not only to the plant swap but to his home. Do you all know who I am talking about?

From In the Garden
Sure you do, there he is in the above picture in the white shirt making a plant swap deal at the Middle Tennessee Plant Swap. Do you recognize him? It is our very own Dave from Growing the Home Garden. This plant swap was held in Henry Horton State Park in Colombia Tennessee on May 22, 2010. I had a great time at the swap. All the members were very nice and it did not take me or my gardening friend Naomi to get the hang of the swap. We both came home with many nice plants and had a ball. But the real highlight of the day was visiting with Dave and his family not only at the plant swap but at his home. Naomi and I both agree we could've left all the plants behind and would've been satisfied visiting with Dave and his family in his lovely garden. Now that is saying something!

From In the Garden
Here we are in Dave's very own home garden. You know I don't think Dave gets his picture on his blog enough so I thought I'd highlight him here on my blog. I tell you I was a bit shocked at how many folks at the plant swap knew Dave. I was pretty honored to know Dave too. The people who participated in the plant swap were mainly Garden Web forum members and they all knew each other by their screen names. This forum is actually the reason the plant swap came about. Not only did they know Dave from the forum but also from his participation in the plant swap for a number of years and there were many members of his gardening club there as well. While I was talking with Dave another person overheard my name and asked me if I was Tina of In the Garden. I said yes and then she introduced herself to me. I so wish I had gotten a picture of Jennifer from Confessions of a Serial Tiller; another Tennessee Garden blogger. Go visit her cool blog when you have a chance. She and I talked for a bit and she told me how she had been able to visit Phillip's garden of Dirt Therapy not too long ago during his open garden days. Lucky girl! But I was pretty lucky too because I was heading to Dave's. Let's look at his garden now.

From In the Garden
Dave's blog was the first garden blog I found when I began blogging a few years ago (coming up on three years). I blogged through an FTP site and never even knew there were such things as garden blogs. Duh me. When I found his garden blog I read through every single old post of his and found our style of blogging seemed to be similar. I marveled at his designs and innovative ideas and enjoyed following along as he worked on his garden. You see, I guess the year I found his blog was the year he and his wife purchased their home. To say his garden was brand new was a very true statement-at the time.

I've followed along with Dave on his progress in his Home Garden all these months and years (I am betting over one thousand posts!) and really thought I had an idea of how his garden looked. But I was wrong. Sometimes blogs truly show a garden how it is and sometimes not. This was one of the cases and I think the fault was totally all mine. I had expected a not so mature garden but was pleasantly surprised to find a mature garden with tons of color, beautiful lawn grass, trees and shrubs planted, a large well kept vegetable area and lots of plans still in the making! Wow! Naomi and I were both impressed by all you've done in the three years you've lived there Dave. You should be most proud!

I particularly enjoyed the layout and how the garden flowed. There were many small vignettes that worked well together (think a ring of mums surrounding a planting of irises) and there was also a start of a great backbone to the garden. The trees and shrubs are growing well. I finally saw the little Corner Garden in person, visited the famous shed and enjoyed the arbor immensely. Walking through the arbor was especially pleasing because the walkway was bordered on one side by a beautiful mixed border and on the other side by the house and more plantings. The area was large and comfortable to meander along the path. The arbor is really quite big and maybe it is me again?? that could not fully grasp the scale of the arbor from the pictures Dave posted. Is it like that for other bloggers? Are the gardens you visit of fellow bloggers different from how you envision them from the blogs? I have visited five other bloggers' gardens including Dave's. I personally found two of the five to be reflected perfectly in the blogs, only three were totally different than I had anticipated. I think perhaps we get a picture of a garden in our mind and build around the pictures the bloggers' post? Sometimes we hit it just right, sometimes not? I was just wondering if other bloggers who have visited fellow bloggers gardens are finding the same to be true?

From In the Garden
Here is a long shot looking toward Dave's garden shed/greenhouse. It was so cute! I liked it the yellow but both Jenny and Dave assure me it will be painted soon. A color has yet to be chosen.

Thanks Dave and Jenny for having us over to The Home Garden! This post would not be complete without me thanking my gardening friend and neighbor Naomi for traveling with me. She is an ardent gardener and I have had the pleasure of touring her garden as well. Here is a link to tour her garden if you desire. If you are a plant swapper and received one of her lovely St. John's Worts at the plant swap you may wish to check out this post because I posted a picture of it last year. Without Naomi's help on the plant swap and her expert navigation service and us talking all the way home and there I am sure the two hour trip each way would have been much less enjoyable.

in the garden....

P.S. I don't always post on blogger visits or when I visit others. Dave and I have met a few times before; some I posted and some I have not. I know it is exciting to have visitors come to your garden and wanted to share this visit with you readers. Also, I have another very special visit to post about as well. I am saving it for a special day. It is for my special group of commenters....

in the garden....



Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team,

In the Garden

19 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good time. I LOVE that shed, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting to get to visit the garden of a fellow blogger. I have several on my list that I would love to see in person. Thanks for sharing with us! Carl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina, I thought I saw Dave over on gardenweb not too long ago~ I still visit, the mosaic/glass on glass forums...But, I digress. Lucky you to have a day of plant swapping and garden visiting! It sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for taking us along. gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn, A very good time and I was ready for bed when I came home. That and cream for my sunburn:( The shed is really a great place. It smelled like Baba's workshop.

    Carla, It is so fun visiting gardens-especially gardens you've seen and grown to know on the web. I try to visit bloggers I know well when I travel to their place. I'm coming to NC soon would you like a visit?:) If so, just email me. Not sure where you are located.

    Gail, I checked GardenWeb and found out I've been a member for like three years. Ha! Shows how much I go there. I find it a bit complicated to update and use, though I did comment on the plant swap thread. Now I might have to go visit that mosaic place. Sigh. So much to do so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Tina! You were very kind with that write up, but I know the gardener is always his/her worst critic. I always feel there is so much more to do, I guess that's what drives me so it's good. I really enjoyed showing you two around I know it's a long drive and I'm glad you got the chance to visit! Have you gotten you swap plants in the ground yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So that's what Dave looks like! :-) Handsome gardening dude with a handsome garden.

    It sounds like a wonderful way to get together and what a great host you had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tina, that looks like a fun time! I used to hos a plant swap but didn't this year. It's always fun to visit blogging friends, especially seeing their gardens. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get around to blogging about visiting everyone! (I feel so behind.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dave, We had a great time and thanks again for having us. Plants planted? Yeah right. Maybe today:)

    Cameron, He really doesn't so hisself on his blog much but that is what he looks like indeed. We had a good time. Just like when I visited your garden. Thank you again for having us too!

    Monica, It would be fun for you to host a plant swap. I'd for sure come! We had a great time on this day. Sometimes posting about all our meets is redundant? Maybe? I don't know but not all meet ups need posts-and ditto on not being the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning, Tina. Thanks for taking us with you on your visit to Dave's. I'm not on GardenWeb as much as I used to be but the name isn't familiar.

    I've found so many terrific plants at plant swaps. Love them.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great day! Plant swaps can be a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a great day that was and you are still making me wish I were still down there!!! I never thought of a shed/ greenhouse like that. I bet an extension on my garden house would work well. Good idea, but just a small one. Dave's gardens look wonderful for only 3 years!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too have been watching Dave’s garden grow over the years on the computer! Amazing how much you have gotten accomplished in such a short period of time Dave! I can only imagine what the next three years will entail with the girls helping you as they grow along with the garden... Happy Gardening Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun! I can imagine his gardens must be beautiful. He sure seems to know a lot and is always propagating plants or teaching us something new.
    I haven't seen any bloggers gardens in person, but it sure would be fun to one day.
    Sounds like you and your friend had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an exciting trip for you Tina. It must be so much fun to meet many gardening bloggers and swap plants. I've only done it with Catherine and it was just wonderful to meet her. Now we have to do it again when there are many flowers! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tina, that sounds like a wonderful trip--the swap meet, then visiting Dave's garden. I've kept up with his garden also & find he has done a magnificent job in such a short time.
    I love seeing other gardens if only in part on blogs but it is very nice. Gives you ideas too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great garden Dave -and with little ones I know you've worked extra hard to get it so nice. Pretty soon they'll be bigger models that can actually help -my Boy 1 has taken over the mowing effective this week -a big hurray from me:) I hope he can keep up with it -it can be daunting at times.
    Last day of school for us but the fun is just beginning -hehehe. I think they get into more activities in the summer than during the school year. Everyone is feeling pretty happy today -how about your fella Tina? I'm sure if he is anything like Boy1 and Boy2 he is on cloud nine right about now. I'm sure they are dreaming of sleeping in and playing video games on the computer, hehehe. Oh, Boy 2 is in charge of weeding the vegetable garden and watering it. The mom is hoping that the boys both hold up to their end of the bargain. Off to take the three littles for a walk. Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  17. What fun to meet a fellow blogger and see his garden in person! The plant swap would have been an added bonus. I've visited Dave only a few times, but I didn't realize his garden was so mature either. I can relate to your impressions, though, Tina: I visited Mr. McGregor's Daughter's garden last year during Spring Fling and was so impressed by how large it was. Somehow I had expected something much smaller. Photos just can't impart a true picture in some cases.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's always surprising when I see something in real life after first seeing it online, whether it's a garden or a person. For a viewer from afar, it's always fun to see what something looks like through a new lens, everybody captures the same thing differently. Your visit looks like it was a real treat, it's nice you've cultivated a community of garden bloggers in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Tina...I kept waiting for you to grab that picture...I was there after you were gone! ha. It was nice meeting you too. Hope you are able to come back for future plant swaps. I enjoyed this post a lot.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!