Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wildflower Wednesday: Heartleaved Asters and Perennial Ageratum

From In the Garden
This month I will spotlight two native wildflowers that grow in my garden. I am including them both because they grow next to one another and because they are both blooming now! The two are heart leaved aster, aka woodland aster, (Symphyotrichum cordifolium aka Aster cordifolius) and the other is perennial ageratum (Conoclinium (Eupatorium) coelestinum). Both of these plants are in the aster family so it makes sense they bloom at the same time-late summer to fall.

From In the Garden

I grow these two in part shade in a moist area of my greenhouse garden. This garden is transitioning to a woodland/native garden due to the limited sun it receives. So far it has been an easy transition but once I am finished with some major rehabbing we shall see how it all works out.

I planted both of these natives last fall. So far this year they've not received any supplemental watering, though they did wilt quite a bit; especially the ageratum. I have been most happy with the ageratum but not as pleased with the woodland aster. The woodland aster flops much more than I'd like it to but perhaps it is more of a groundcover than an upright perennial or perhaps it is not getting enough sun. I'm not sure but as long as it blooms it is a keeper in my garden. I like these plants so I intend to spread them around a bit more.

There are many more great natives blooming or getting ready to bloom soon but my garden is kind of in between blooming periods. We have the detritus of the summer garden (daylilies, coneflowers, brown eyes, etc) and the lush foliage of blooms yet to come (pineapple sage, anemones, asters, and mums) so I am happy to have these two native wildflowers blooming as a bridge between peak periods here at Tiger Gardens.

See Gail for more Wildflower Wednesday posts....

in the garden....


Skeeter is out of the net for a while and will be back as soon as she is able.


Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team,

In the Garden

25 comments:

  1. I'm wondering if that first one is something that I pull up? This is certainly a trasitional time of the year in my gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're having 'quite a year for wild asters' here in Nova Scotia. As always, I manage to nurture a few wild varieties in my garden, as too often I've pulled out the cultivated ones thinking they were wild. Now I leave them all alone, as the bees enjoy them.
    You have convinced me that I ought to do a wildflower Wednesday post as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asters are such a sweet little wildflower and they're so many! Add some cute daintiness to fall time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two beauties for sure. The ageratum does like supplemental watering, but nothing kills it! Tina, next summer, cut the aster back like we do with other asters and see if that helps with floppiness. I do that with the ones that show up at the front of the garden~I love that you celebrate wildflowers! gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the ageratum and thought it would spread around more but hasn't - too bad very cool fall flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was out taking photos of my ageratum earlier this morning. It is a lovely flower and mine are doing better this year than in previous years. I do grow mine in full sun. A good butterfly flower, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If doing what Gail suggested works you will have a very awesome flower in the garden as it is sooooo pretty. I just love that first photo!!!! I must look into that flower for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning all!

    Darla, The ageratum commonly grows wild so you might be pulling it from areas. It is easy to mistake for a weed.

    Jodi, While we southerners and our gardens are roasting and drying out your garden is still so lush! A big benefit of northern gardens so I can imagine how lovely all the asters are. They are sweet plants indeed.

    Dawn, There must be many around your place too. And they are so sweet for sure.

    Gail, I'll try that next year for sure on the asters. Thanks for coming up with this sweet little subject for posting!

    Dave, Give it some time. It does from a nice groundcover. I simply love it.

    Cameron, It is great your ageratum does well in the sun. I've only seen it grow in moist part shade areas here. Mostly wild so it never showed up in my heavily cultivated garden-until I planted it. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom, It should grow up there no problem! A great native that would do great around your woods or on the side of your veggie garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Wildflower Wednesdays, because I'm always learning something new. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a perennial ageratum. I can see why you like it, with its lovely blooms--are they as blue as they appear here? I'm like you, Tina, happy to see anything blooming right now in the midst of all my brown coneflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rose, A dusky blue but blue indeed. A very nice flower. It should grow wild in moist part shade areas around you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Asters are much later for us. When I see them, I am reminded of fall! (and right now, I love to be reminded of fall!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tina. It's a fun day visiting all these beautiful posts for Wildflower Wednesday ... your choices are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The first flower I've seen in nurseries here, but as an annual. It's got such a pretty flower on it. The Woodland aster has such a sweet flower on it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Tina, did you grow your wildflowers from seed or transplant them from the "wilds"?
    Thanks for your comment on my post. I will be honored and delighted to write a post on Luisenpark. In fact, I've had the makings for one in my files for a while. I'm afraid I can't answer all your questions about Schwetzingen, but will pay more attention next time I go. I know someone who lives there and finds it a great place to live. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that perennial Ageratum. Good choices for Wildflower Wednesday, thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Tina, I really like the first 2 pics but am drawn to the blue. I have a wild "weed" that I don't know the name. Will try to take pic & send hoping you can ID it.
    My mums are blooming & have for a week. Not much else going on.
    I'm back to old tricks. lol Maybe only to try to catch up. Feeling much better, still in therapy 3 times a week. Progress is what we are looking for.
    I hope all have a wonderful evening.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just bought the Heart leafed aster this spring, it is just coming into bud in the woodland garden. Love the flowers, now I cannot wait until mine opens.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the hardy Ageratum...where did you get yours? I've been trying to find it locally, but to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
  20. If it were up to me, the lawn would disappear under a blanket of wildflowers. Ageratum has always been one of my favorite blues. Why don't I have any now? I should try it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have a few lists of native wildflowers for NJ...nothing as fancy as yours. There is a place I just heard of that sells native plants only for a short period in spring.
    Wish my pineapple sage would bloom before the hummers leave...they love them...timing isn't right.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How interesting. I'm slowly transforming lawn into woodland wildflower gardens. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I wonder why my comment didn't show up yesterday. Hmmmmm. I had seen these at the nursery I did a post on with rare plants and showed a pic of hers. I think I'll have Mr. Bob show me how - he can do anything. The leaf she used was huge and would make nice stepping stones for the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always forget about the perennial ageratum, even though it is hardy here, it's rare. The woodland aster looks very similar to bigleaf aster (Eurybia macrophylla), which I just recently discovered. :) (I also wish they hadn't changed the genus name of some asters!)

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!