Thursday, May 8, 2014

Beach Planter Ice Damage

BY SKEETER
 When Ice Storm 2014 hit us here in my GEORGIA GARDENS, I feared for my little Palm tree.
 Some of the palm fronds were clearly damaged. I have seen many large Palm Trees, Sego Palms, etc. completely destroyed from the several days of being under that nasty sheet of ice.
 But my little Palm still looked alive to me. With a Sweet Gum Tree sapling growing right in the middle of it.
I decided that it was time to give the Palm a good clipping. I clipped every single Frond with damage and even took it a bit further by removing anything remotely close to the Heat/AC Unit.
 In the process, I was bit many times by the Palm as it is covered with sharp Thorns! Had I known this thing would have produced thorns, I would have thought twice about making this purchase as I do not like anything that bites back. Na, I would have more then likely made the purchase anyway knowing about the thorns as I needed a Palm in my Beach Planter. I do believe in time the Palm will shine once again after the BEACH PLANTER ICE DAMAGE, In the Garden... 

Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

2 comments:

  1. That has to be the same kind of palm my sister has growing in her frontyard in Florida! A nasty thing with lots of thorns and I did not know palms grew thorns either. Interesting indeed. You did a good job cutting it back. That's the only thing to be done with damage like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very hardy as it was under a sheet of ice for several days.... Tina, when you need a break from the house building, you must come down for a few days to see the palm for yourself....

      Delete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!