Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Chorus Frogs in the Koi Pond


DSCN2691
An unintended consequence of having the koi pond so close to the house is the noise. Noise you say? Koi don't make noise. True, but the frogs-OMG!
DSCN2685
We had frogs in our old koi pond and really enjoyed listening to them and even seeing them. (For more on them check this post found here). And I really don't mind the frogs in the new koi pond; tho it has taken some adjusting on my part.
DSCN2684
These babies are chorus frogs. They are in the same family as spring peepers; hence the puffed out chin. And while we do have some spring peepers in the koi pond, it is the chorus frogs that are most active right now. I would hear them each evening but could never ever find them during the day. One night as I prepared for bed I looked out at the pond and saw all these white dots swimming around the surface of the pond. I knew it was not koi so I took my flashlight and camera out and got quite the show.
DSCN2682
Chorus frogs were swimming and walking all over the place. They were really quite the wonder.
DSCN2681
 I was even able to touch one of them. They serenade each other day and night. Even as I type I can hear their song. You too have heard them sing and may even be listening to them now, but in case you are not sure what these frogs sound like check this link here....

in the garden....


Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden 
 

7 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. It means you have a healthy pond. Your koi must be small enough that they don't eat them. Or maybe koi don't eat frogs. Hope that a bull frog doesn't come there and make havoc and lots of noise. What a fun problem to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! Soon the cover to our pool will be off and frogs in! Frogs and toads are the most interesting little creatures...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute, but maybe not so cute when you want to sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they would make a great lulaby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've made them an oasis! How fun. Sooooo, there should be tadpoles coming?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sound of the little frogs at nite. Don't hear them as much since the farmer destroyed the wetland but there are still a few. Guess you won't have nearly as many mosquitoes with all the baby frogs. That's a big plus.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!