Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Bird Watching

BY SKEETER
 I have some Red Blooms in my GEORGIA GARDENS this week!
The Fringe Bush, (AKA: Loropetalum) is putting on a pretty show for me.
 Nandina is looking pretty as well. This is one of 4 that we have in the front porch planters. We plan to move the Nandina elsewhere soon. They are starting to crowd the Japanese Maple trees. Since  the Maples are the focal point in those two planters, the bushes must go.  
 Do you see what I see on the front porch post? Look up high.
 A birdhouse, which the birds have decided is not good enough for a home. But good enough to support a nest behind. Ha, those silly Wrens.
 It looks as though, the Wrens are using leaves from the Japanese Maples I just mentioned. I see pine needles and other leaf as well. The Wrens did this last year as well and there was not enough room to lay eggs. But they are back giving it a second go. I have 9 birdhouse's on the front porch for the birds to use and they are the least bit interested in them. Geesh....
Small Flocks of Robins are starting to show up in the gardens so they are on the move. Oh yes, Spring is near and I am BIRD WATCHING, In the Garden... 
Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

19 comments:

  1. Hi Skeeter.....That Fringe bush is sooo beautiful...WOW!! You know I enjoy bird watching and it looks like there's lots to see in your garden. How funny about the Wrens...go figure. Maybe they are carpenter Wrens and don't like pre-fabs! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christy, This is one of the bird houses I mentioned on your blog when you posted on the birdhouse's. The 4 hanging plants shall be put in place soon and I will have another fight on my hands to keep them out for sure. Although, I have found a cure for keeping them out if I get on the ball. I put in fake nest with fake eggs in them. That seems to keep them from building a real nest. With the plants being so high up, I fear drowning the babys so i just dont let them nest in the plants....

      Delete
  2. I always grew up knowing when we saw the Robin Red Breast we knew spring had arrived. Your fringe bush is pretty! I just got some last year and hope they grow up big and pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, that use to be true for TN also but over time with the global warming and all, the Robins seems to stay around now though. We dont really have a lot of Robins in our gardens so when I see them in small flocks such as lately, I know they are getting ready to move on...

      Delete
  3. Eddie March 5, 2013

    I also thought that when the Robins shoed up spring was near, but I have had Robins all year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eddie, down here they are year round residents but in Maine where I grew up they weren't-at least when I was a kid. It may have changed. But still a wonderful sign of spring!

      Delete
    2. Eddie, with warmer winters in the south, the Robin seem to hang around year round now. Kind of like Canadian Geese stay south year round too. Time it has changed for the wildlife. But I know that Spring is a few weeks away for us here in GA though....

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Cherry, Thanks, I am happy with this bush as it is only a year and half old so a new baby for me. And my very first Fringe Bush so excited about it doing so well...

      Delete
  5. I've seen a couple Robins here & my fringe bush is blooming. The cold got the Magnolia blooms. Hopefully there will be more when it decides to stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lola, with our mild temps, things are really starting to pop open for us but still a bit early. Today I had the windows open but still calling for some cold with this front which has started to drop some rain on us as I type... Hopefully your magnolia will stay on track...

      Delete
  6. Your loropetalum and nandina are just beautiful. It's funny that the birds ignore the bird houses and make their own nests! Maybe they're just renters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm quite unfamiliar with those shrubs but what a gorgeous red in early spring. As to the wrens..... strange! Fun post, Skeeter...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous blooms. Those birds are bird brains!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crazy birds. They should be IN the houses not on them. Ha! Love the reds you're seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really says Spring when the Robins show up. Funny on the birdhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those silly Wrens. Love the red Loropetalum, is it Ever Red? I have that one but it hasn't bloomed yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I look forward to see the robins come back to my garden...they actually overwinter in flocks here in NY but not near enough to my snowy garden....

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!