Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Vegetable Garden Update-Think Gourds!

From In the Garden
This month the vegetable garden is devoid of any summer vegetables and I tell you, I really like the nice and clean look! Prior to moving my ten bushel gourds into the garage I set them out on the hay bales in the garden. I was so happy to find so many gourds under all those vines and think they look sweet in the garden. I am ashamed to say I was not brave enough to leave them there to cure. I've only known the way of letting my gourds cure in my garage so chickened out and put them there. Leaving them outside would be a much easier thing for me but the freezing and thawing had me concerned the gourds would not cure well. I will keep you posted on how they do in the garage. Some of these gourds are quite large while others are small. I really like the bushel style though!

From In the Garden
The Chinese cabbage is doing well. I think the transitional nature of the vegetable garden makes me a bit lazy with record keeping so I never can remember the cultivar type. I only ever really need to know the cultivar when I blog about the vegetables because honestly, when I eat the vegetables I don't care what type or cultivar they are named. Since I usually only blog about vegetables once a month I may never keep good records but I promise to try. I do know this cabbage is supposed to be a great leafy green vegetable. I plan to try it in the kitchen soon. I'll probably prepare it like turnip greens but we'll see.

The cabbages grow along side the broccoli. I don't have any broccoli florets yet but am hopeful I'll get a good crop within the month. If you wish to see a long shot of the cabbages and broccoli they are the green vegetables behind the gourds in the first picture.

From In the Garden
Here is another green leafy vegetable-growing in the greenhouse. I am determined to have greens this winter so I sowed some lettuce seeds in flats in the greenhouse. I really enjoy fresh lettuce with tomatoes during dinner each night.

From In the Garden
A long shot of the vegetable garden(left side looking east). BJ is busy investigating the vegetables. Normally the dogs are not allowed in this garden but he was taking advantage of the gate being open to come and say hi to me. The bed to the left of the picture with the white PVC frame has been planted with: turnips, kale, and spinach. So far the turnips and kale are up and growing. Spinach takes a bit longer to germinate in my garden but I am anxiously awaiting its appearance too. The PVC frame will be used as a coldframe. I'll drape some frost cloth over it when it gets really cold in order to help give the vegetables in the bed a little extra protection.

From In the Garden
Another long shot of the vegetable garden (right side looking east). Notice the trailer with fence panels in the background? I purchased 21 wooden fence panels from a fellow Craigs Lister. I've been most busy pressure washing the panels and staining them with Behr's solid color wood fence stain (the best stuff for outdoor wood in my opinion!) We like privacy fencing but in the case of this one side not already privacy fenced, we decided for the good of our 'puppy' Lady that we needed to fix the chainlink fence in a manner where she could not climb and/or jump over the fence and run away. She'll be hard pressed to get over this privacy fence. Preparing the fence for installation is keeping me most busy lately.

That is about it for the vegetable garden this month. If you haven't already planted your cool season crops you may be a bit too late, though garlic and onions might be okay. From this point on I think perhaps there is not much gardening to do in the vegetable garden until February 2010; which is right around the corner....

in the garden....

Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team,

In the Garden

25 comments:

  1. Tina,

    Looks like you will be busy with that fence! The gourds, you did well! Our gourds have little necks and they are quart size at best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonder why I can grow loofahs but not gourds? Is there a secret to it? We grew Chinese Cabbage in the Spring and cooked it hust like turnips or collards. It was very good. Fresh Spinach and lettuce grown on the back deck in containers is a must have around here. Love them both on sandwiches..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randy, Hey you got gourds! They are so fun no matter the size. Now to let them dry. Busy, yes indeed. Can't wait to get it done.

    Darla, No secret really. If you can grow luffas you should surely be able to grow gourds. They need some sun and a place to sprawl. Fertile soil helps with size but it not necessary for them to grow. Perhaps you are growing the wrong kind? I've had issues when trying to grow the wrong kind. Keep trying. I personally like the martin house gourds but try the 'birdhouse gourds' too to see if they will grow. That will be a start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that sounds like a good find on Craigslist! The gourds look awesome. I keep telling myself I'll try them this year then never do - maybe next year! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Tina! I've been wondering why you haven't been posting as regularly as you usually do, but now I can see you have been very busy as usual. Putting up a new fence is no small task.

    I love that you still have vegetables growing this time of year. I did try a fall planting of spinach, a few beets, and something else I've forgotten, but they didn't do well. The fact I neglected to water them probably had something to do with it:) I've pretty much pulled up everything in the veggie garden except the kale, and am looking forward to a fresh start next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave, You have so much room I'm surprised you haven't planted any. They are most fun and the kids would enjoy them.

    Rose, I've cut back quite a bit on blogging in order to kind of be 'free'. I and Skeeter find we aren't missing it as much as one would think either. Kind of sad huh? After three years of constant blogging? Gardening is so much a part of my life and I enjoy sharing it so I will most likely pick it back up more in the spring just relaxing a bit here but still in the garden as much as I can. I kind of explain my absence a wee bit in Friday's post this week. Isn't it nice to be free of the vegetable garden until spring? Now you can relax. I can't wait until I can too! A few new plants into the ground (including some specimens) and the fence then I'm done other than watering the greenhouse. Can't wait to move inside for work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you still have a lot going on in the garden. I have some broccoli, kale, cabbage, and romaine. This is my first fall garden, so we will see how it goes. You are so right....February is just around the corner. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning everyone!

    Ah, the fencing is a must for an escape artist puppy! Good find on Craig’s List…

    I am a bit envious of your gourds girl! You have such a crop when mine flopped this year. I tried the snake and swan gourds and only got one of each then the weather killed them while I was out of the garden. Never had this problem the last two years. I may give them a try again next year as I know I can have luck with them. The cucumbers, tomatoes and all other crops I planted all flopped as well. Just not a good year for crops in my garden with hot temps too early and me neglecting them with my absences. I think I will mainly stick with flowers next year as I have better luck with them and they dont seem to need as much attention from me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. One idea to try with your cabbage is to use the leaves for stuffing with rice or bulgar, or something meat related. Google will give you some good recipes, maybe.
    Your gourds are looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your gourds look great, Tina. I should have tried growing them when we lived up north. They're really not suited for the Florida garden. Anything in the cabbage family, though, feels right at home this time of year. Besides a few things in spring and maybe some pepper plants, I might just give up growing the warm weather veggies. I just finished planting my winter veggies this past weekend. Something has been devouring the tops of my beets that were sown earlier. I suspect it's something with four legs and fur and not a six-legged critter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wondered what the pvc frame was and what the pile of wood was. You answered both questions. I know you will be happy to get the fence installed. A good find indeed as long as you have the energy for all the elbow grease it will take. I could not do it but guess I could have 20 years ago. PVC pipes are so usefull for a lot of things. I have to send you a picture oa a really big guy made out of pvc pipe. I used to go by it every day when I was going to Bridgton so on the last day I took a picture of it just for you. I knew you would like it. I am not a good judge of how high things are but it must be 30 feet high. Maybe Dawn has a better idea of the height of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hubby and I just had some corned beef and cabbage last night and it was so good. We did not grow the cabbage, however. I love collards also. Yum. I guess we must find something else to do while our garden is asleep. Dream!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your gourds look so good. I always bring mine in to decorate and cure too. Although, after I'm "done with them being a decoration," I toss them out by the pile and by spring they're cured really well. I often rescue a few.
    Good find on the fence!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your gourds are very nice! I left some on my front porch last year for a while, and the temp there varies widely in winter since it catches the afternoon sun in winter. I think wide temp variations are bad for gourd drying, since mine all rotted! Maybe they weren't mature enough anyway, but I think you're smart to bring yours in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep a privacy fence is vital with dogs if their jumpers. Even my little Spaz could easily get over a 4 ft fence, she's a deer I swear. ;) Those gourds look pretty good, I need to try growing them sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I meant to do lettuce but got too busy. I like to be able to run out and pick a bit anytime I want. Maybe early spring...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Our growing season here is clearly must shorter than yours. Still if I was half as organized I get started sooner and maybe mine would amount to something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Carla, Boy does time pass quickly!

    Skeeter, Those unusual gourds can be picky-maybe that and the drought contributed to the issues. Don't give up-way to go! I am still at a loss as to why this blog is acting up-never does it to me. Any ideas? Email when you can if you know anything.

    Rosey, I love cabbage rolls-maybe that is what I'll make. Thanks for the idea.

    W2W, I know the cool season crops love it in Florida. The gardener too!

    Mom, Send it to me. I love PVC and I've been trying to make a good scarecrow out of it-maybe the big man will give me ideas.

    Donna, Yum on the corned beef and cabbage. I love corned beef! Dream it is!

    GSS, You make gourds sound so easy. Here they take me some serious work but I do enjoy it.

    VW, I feel so much better with them inside too. Bummer on yours not curing.

    Racquel, I would not have guessed Spaz could get over such a tall fence compared to him. I hate it the darned dogs think they must run away:( Not used to that but the fence will hopefully fix it.

    Linda, It might not be too late. I know it things get busy-hard to believe the holiday season is here!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Troutbirder, I keep saying the same thing on organization. Some years are better than others but boy, does it ever take effort to get it all together all throughout the year. Relaxing and fuhgetting about the garden might not be so bad:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such fabulous greens! Everything is so brown in Maine at this time of year, as you know. I was wondering how you managed dogs and garden.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are lots of gourds, what will you use them for? Or can they also be eaten? Those fallen leaves look so plenty, and might need long hours to haul. If only i am nearer i will give you some extra hands.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Tina, I wanted to say "great gourds" but that sounds vaguely smutty... Am now feeling guilty for not having got round to sowing leafy seed in the greenhouse yet. Since I now won't get leaves until February, I find myself lacking the motivation, I'm so used to salad crops being nearly instant. Ah well, there's always next year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Never think of winter gardening.
    You go girl !! Enjoy the greens.
    I would fear leaving the gourds out all winter...there is always some little animal in my yard that would enjoy checking them out.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tina what do you do with gourds? I admire your energy for winter gardening. I'm glad that I get a break :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Melanie, I usually just dry them and sometimes paint pictures on them to hang in the garden, sometimes I just stain them and display them around the house. They are so fun for me.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!