You may recall my post this past Friday where I showed you my pond. That post also talked about a few problems with the pond that have since been rectified. Like all things you do for the first time you might not get them right and that was the case with the pond. My main problem was the edging and how to hide the pond liner. Initially I had built a mound on the edge of the pond over which I ran the liner then tucked the liner in a trench on the back side of the mound. The top of the mound was above the water level so the liner was able to be seen when the pond was filled with water. Enter the new way I have now edged the pond. I removed the rocks and the mound then dug out a flat trench about 18" all around the pond. I think this is what the professionals call the coping shelf. The bottom of the trench was level or a bit below the projected level of the water based on lining up a level with the water depth on the skimmer box. I laid the liner flat in the trench, than stacked rocks on the liner and folded the back side of the liner up alongside the rocks. I then hid the excess liner with more rocks and backfilled. It is not a perfect solution but I think a workable solution. You can no longer see the liner with the pond full.
The next problem was with the way the water was running off from the waterfall rock and bouncing on the back rock wall. The water was leaking out of the pond so Mr. Fix-it had to rework the waterfall rocks and wonders of wonders, he actually found black waterfall foam in Home Depot!! This was a boon to our endeavors as it enabled us to finally fix the pond and refill it with water late last night. I had ordered some waterfall foam online but it's not like it is an instant gratification thing. I am still waiting for that can to arrive. We have found you need several cans of black waterfall foam in order to really do a waterfall up water tight and the stuff really works! The waterfall foam held the rocks together well and has sealed up gaps in the rocks where water might leak--at least as far as we can tell for now.
We have a floodlight shining on the pond and it really looks nice in the evening. The garden along side the left side of the pond is now backfilled and planted with moss phlox. I also had the opportunity to divide my horsetail rush and native irises. There are two pots of the irises and one pot of the horsetail in the above pot. When I divided the pot from the bathtub garden I disturbed a frog sleeping in the pot. I was not certain if any frogs would hibernate in the bathtub pond but now I know. I hope it finds a new spot to burrow in for the rest of the winter. Soon the two koi from my bathtub pond will be moved into this pond. It is not a moment too soon either as the koi have really really grown. I don't normally see the koi because they are still rather dark colored (but their colors are coming in) and rather shy but when I removed the pot full of horsetail rush I had a good opportunity to see them....
Disclaimer: All information is based on the bloggers' experience, training, or research-only. Bloggers make no guarantee that what works or doesn't work for us will work the same way for you. Occasionally links are endorsed for a fee; however, there will be no endorsement unless the blogger likes and uses the product.
All pictures are property of the In the Garden team except where noted and are not to be copied OR pinned without written permission.