Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Blackbirds and Grackles-Oh My!


DSCN2611
The recent snows in Middle Tennessee were a treat! Today, tho, it is hot and sunny and warm and April 1st! Happy April Fool's to you all!

After moving into our home a few months ago I put up some birdfeeders. It took about six weeks for the birds to find the feeders but find them they did! The snows brought in a lot of new birds for me. One of them is the red winged blackbird. This is a bird I had not often seen in my area of Tennessee, tho I would see it quite frequently further north in areas like northern Kentucky and southern Indiana. I think the red winged blackbirds are heading south as I now see them quite a bit more in Tennessee.
DSCN2609
The birds really liked the black oil sunflower seeds I offer up in my bird feeders.
DSCN2608
Not everyone like grackles but they are a really beautiful bird in my humble opinion.
DSCN2607
Did you know blackbirds, grackles, and starlings often flock together in the fall, winter, and early spring?
DSCN2606
These birds were part of a large flock that came to Tiger Way Gardens for a few days.
DSCN2605
I had several feeders up so they did not really chase away the smaller birds--everyone got fed and as a bonus I got to see some beautiful blackbirds....

in the garden....
Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

4 comments:

  1. According to my Sibley Book, Red winged black birds are in most states throughout the USA. I remember them from when I grew up in Tennessee. A few of them are at our feeders here in GA year round as well. They are pretty birds as are grackles. Grackles in large flocks can cause a big problem at feeders. So far we have only had a grackle issue one Spring. I took down the feeders and they moved on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky birds! I used to enjoy watching the redwing blackbirds when we lived by a marsh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came home from shopping and when I got out of the car, heard this racket in the yard. Dozens and dozens of red winged blackbirds. These were just stopping off at the feeders on their migration path. They are the first of the migrating birds to return in the spring. Most went on their way but a few stayed and maybe plan to nest along the creek north of my house. The starlings I am not fond of. They can finish off a new suet package in less than a day. But I will admit, when I see 20 or more on my lawn, I like the fact that they are eating bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Red-winged Blackbirds and Grackles are on territory here. While they are a common bird I love to see them return for the breeding season. They come to my feeders too.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!