Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Early Spring in Georgia

BY SKEETER
March 14, 2015
 Winter kind of skipped us this year here in my GEORGIA GARDENS.  The Forsythia photo above was taken on March of 2015 which is a normal time of year for Forsythia to be blooming.
February 20, 2017
This is the same Forsythia today! Yes almost a month early. Well, it would be a month early had I snapped a photo sooner than yesterday.

 As you can see, the Bush has already gone to green. A month or so ago, I dug up lots of saplings from this bush and planted them in two primary areas of my gardens. And it looks as though, they are going to be happy in their new spots. I still have some more to dig up but talking about it and doing it are two different things. Ha.
 Hyacinth are ahead of schedule as well.  My records show it should be at this stage at March 9 or thereabout.
November 20, 2017
This photo was snapped back in November. Take note of the newly planted hardy Banana Tree. I saw no need to snap a photo of it after the first frost.

January 5, 2017
Jump forward about 6 weeks and the banana tree was waking up from a not so long winters nap!

February 30, 2017
And of course another frost put it to sleep for a second nap. I do not recall that frost date but look at her waking up for a second time! Accompanied by Daffodils and Bridal Wreath Spirea. I do believe I have a Hardy Banana Tree!
The weatherman just announced that we have had 25 days since Dec with temperatures of 75 degrees or more. Here is the 7-Day forecast. At this rate, this will be the warmest Winter on Record in our area! No wonder we are having an EARLY SPRING, In the Garden... 


Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

10 comments:

  1. We are having similar weather. It is the craziest feeling. I know I can't plant up my pots with annuals. They aren't even available but I still feel like I should be getting them done. ha... A nice feeling to me. We are also dry here. Has your area also been dry? All of this just makes me wonder what summer will bring??? We will sooon see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lisa, my yard and gardens are moist from poor drainage but our lake is 9 feet below normal pool. So we do need rain and lots of it for us to be able to get the boat on the lake... I saw ferns in the garden center last weekend! Annuals are trickling in but they are usually in by March....

      Delete
  2. It is wild! There is all sorts of talk about the early budding and blooming of plants. Global warming perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May be global warming but doubt anything humans have done. I believe the earth does its own thing and nothing humans can do about it in the end.... Crazy and am sure the bugs will be horrible this summer.....

      Delete
    2. Absolutely I think this is all part of global warming. Record high temperatures are being set much more frequently than record low temperatures. Gardening, especially "humane gardening" without pesticides, is one of the best things we can do in our own backyards, I think.

      Delete
  3. It is starting to feel like an early summer here in s.e. FL.

    Happy Spring to you ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wish we had some sort of winter as the bugs will be horrible this summer. I am enjoying the early daffodils and other spring bloomers though...

      Delete
  4. We're even warmer than normal. A bit worried things will get frozen off later this spring if the buds are out too early especially flowering trees. Nice to see the color in your garden and that banana tree! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize it was so many days over 75, we just have to look around to see the effects of warmer temps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had one cold period this winter - and it looks now like we're into spring already. Lots of new growth, on natives as well as on non-natives. It's likely to be a LOOONNNGGG summer...but, on the plus side, I love spring and all the blooms and new growth! Cynthia

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!