Sunday, March 8, 2009

Lichen Moss or Not?

Before we start today's post, I want to share a couple of updates. First, the planter I talked about yesterday is now full of pretties!

The past couple of weeks I have been collecting bargains at Garden Centers. I found gallon sized Creeping Phlox (candy stripe) for $2 each, 3 Hyacinths for .50 each and gallon purple and orange Tulips for $2.00 each with about 6-8 bulbs in each container! I thought bargains.

I also planted the bargain gallon Daffy's at $1.50 each with 6-8 bulbs in them. I picked up 5 different types. Here you see three different ones. I also planted 4 Etain Violet and 2 Starry Night Viola at $1.00 each! The Blue Salvia remains in the back of the planter. I may move the bulbs in time as I have a new planter in mind for them in the future but they needed to be put in the ground because as you can see, they were already blooming!
The second update is the crab apple tree with the squirrel damage I showed you last week. We went with the stove pipe baffle painted a light brown to blend in with nature. We went with two small ones that we put together to form one unit.
One little lone bloom has survived the wrath of the pesky squirrels. Hopefully, the squirrels will no longer be able to damage the trunk or get to the blooms and buds. I am hoping this little tree will thrive in time...

Now, for today's topic: Lichen is a strange thing and very much alive and doing well in my Georgia Garden.
There are about 3600 species of lichen in the US and Canada so no way I could even begin to identify the different types of lichen in my yard. I personally like the one shown in the picture above best. It is a pretty silver colored rubber type texture and with a hairy "grassy type stuff" maybe moss growing on it. Lichen is a source of food for Reindeer, Caribou, Mountain Goats, Wild Turkey and Flying Squirrels especially during the winter months. It has been found in nest of Flying Squirrels as well as 50 different species of birds to include the hummingbird.
Native Americans used Lichen as Fiber and Dyes in their fabrics. Some lichens are poisonous and some are used in medicines. Lichen is also used as a form of awareness of air pollution. Once lichen is no longer in the trees, you have pollution. Our air must be pretty clean as we have tons of lichen on the branches of many trees in our woods. Here is a small limb on the ground which is full of lichen.
I am not sure if this is a type of Lichen or not. I find this yellow jelly type substance on a downed tree limb at times. This limb was from a pine which fell during high winds.
This yellow/orange jelly stuff is really interesting but a bit gross if you touch it without gloves on and not ready for the sticky feeling. It will make one drop the limb real quickly as you think you found a slug! Gross, it is some nasty stuff to the touch. That is why I usually have on gloves while picking up limbs. Walk2Write recently posted a wonderful link on lichen. Check it out and see if you think I have the Chartreuse, fruiticose bark lichen?
I think the "grassy type stuff" on the one picture I showed you in the beginning of this post reminds me of moss. Not sure if it is moss or not but we have our share of that also. In our woods near the street, we have an interesting type moss.
Here is a close up of that moss. I just think it is so pretty and it is really soft also. I don't bother this moss at all as I really do enjoy it in its chosen spot.
This white lichen type stuff grows in the middle of the moss. Strange stuff but oh so pretty.
See how it resembles the lichen from above pictures?
Here is a moss I really do enjoy as well. This is the common type moss we find all over our yard. This is by the creek and adds such character to the creek.
It looks so natural and like it belongs there don't you think? I see a limb that needs to be picked up. Sigh, that is an ongoing task for us and our lovely woods.
I even like the mossy area that leads to our patio in the backyard. Just look at those pesky gumballs! Dawn, do you need anymore? As you can see, I have plenty more waiting to be spoken for! I should put the camera down and get the gum balls up! Na, having too much fun snapping pictures...
I like the look of the moss in the backyard as it gives me green during the dreary winter months plus less for me to mow in the summer months.
Now here is my issue with moss. Where we have our patio and grill located, is a natural run-off area for rainfall. I have done a fairly good job of creating patio areas that do not stay soggy with the aide of white Pea gravel and Stepping stones. But the moss is growing around the cracks of the stones.
We usually get rid of the moss when we pressure wash the patio's but the moss does act as a good stabilizer for the stones. The sand used as grout keeps washing away with the rain run-off. The Saint and I have been talking about maybe just leaving this moss as it does seem to like growing here and it is not too bad looking to our eyes. We are not sure if we like the moss look or not. What do you think? I know that Frances , Dave and Cindee will say keep the moss!

It is not a big task ridding the area of the moss but I wonder should I just be happy with it or not. What do you all think? Should I be LICHEN MOSS OR NOT, In the Garden...

Note; I am serious about passing along some Sweet Gum Pods (balls) to anyone wanting them. I have them collected and boxes ready to mail. Any crafters want any? I sent Dawn a big box full and she made a beautiful wreath out of them, check out her link... Speak now forever hold your peace!

Another beautiful day today and we will be playing in the yard again. I will check in here when time allows. I hope you all are having a beautiful weekend as well...

52 comments:

  1. The moss is so pretty :)) - I wish you a beautiful sunday!! Enjoy it! Kessi

    ReplyDelete
  2. The yellow thing is not a lichen, but a fungus... One of my first posts I translated to English, was a post about this Yellow Brain fungus (Tremella mesenterica), that's also called Witch's Butter.
    I know that the fungus on my picture is more orange, but it becomes more pale yellow when it get's older.

    There is another fungus, called 'black witch's butter' (Exidia glandulosa), and in a 150-year old treatise on English botany, (Sowerby et al., 1846, p. 225) it is mentioned that according to Dillenius, this species earned its common name "witches' butter" because it was believed to be useful against witchcraft when thrown into a fire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very interesting post. You have educated me! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Skeeter,
    I like moss, I think it is lush, green and soft to walk on but...It is a sign that the soil/air is acid and when the moss attacks the trees (my apple trees) it slowly kills the trees. So be aware to control the moss there.

    Pretty moss pics!

    Tyra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your bargains! We have sticks and gumballs all over too. KEEP THE MOSS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, what an interesting post! I'm jealous of the bargains ;)

    I wouldn't keep the moss, I'm afraid. I've learned my lesson about letting any weed stay between paving stone - it always seems to dislodge them eventually. I would get rid of it by hand, and put it on the compost. Saying that, I admit I have a masochistic compulsion towards hand weeding! What a huge barbecue, you must have fantastic parties with that.

    Oh PS - I'm not sure about the lichen/ air polution thing: we live 2 miles from a large airport but still have lots of lichen in the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep your moss because it is pretty and it will grow where other things wont'. Keep your gum balls because no one else wants them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the different types of lichen that you shared. I agree about the gummy yellow one-- ick. Thought that was perhaps sappy goo from the pine...but really hadn't thought too much about it.
    I like the look of the moss. As long as it doesn't make the brick work slippery I would leave it. Or if you wanted something to grow between the brick how about a creeping thyme or corsican mint?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the moss...I say keep it! It's beautiful and green when nothing else is. But no thank you on the gumballs; the tree is certainly lovely each fall, but those gumballs are a mess. Nice find on the flowers for you planter! gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning all!

    I agree with everyone, keep the moss. It adds so much character and does mean your soil is acid. Very normal for the southeastern U.S. If when you are picking up the gumballs, you happen to throw them in a bag, you can bring them up here. I'll either make something or get them to Dawn one of these days. The planter looks great.

    Anne, I liked learning about the 'witches' butter very much. Your blog has been such a good find for me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your newly redone planter looks great with the new plants.
    Lichen has always fascinated me, and your photos were great. It just goes to show that it doesn't have to always be a colorful flower, to be interesting.

    Jan
    Always Growing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great informative post Skeeter. I didn't know what that yellow stuff was. I've seen it on pine limbs. The lichen is interesting. I've seen projects where it was used.

    I really like your planting bed. The flowers you chose are appropriate.

    As for as the moss I say keep it but just watch so it doesn't start to move the bricks. An underground root has moved one of my bricks & I must do something about it before I trip & fall.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The painted stove pipe baffle is a genius idea. And, yes, I lichen moss a lot. And I feel moss positively about lichen. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent post! Informative, interesting, well illustrated and fun to read. Thanks!-

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello everyone! Another beautiful day here in GA and we are headed out but wanted to pop in and say hello to you first....

    Anne, I am glad to know I have Witches Butter to keep the witches out of my wicked woods! Thanks for the info as I found it very interesting and will do further research on this now that I have a name!

    Thanks for the warnings Tyra and EB, I will make sure it does not get around the trees or pop up any stones...

    Les, you cracked me up with that!

    Another type of creeper in between the stones would be nice but the moss is free!

    The "witches butter" is only found on the pine limbs so something to do with the sap I bet Lola. Now that I have a name, I will have to look it up on the internet but no time now as we are headed out...

    Everyone have a good day...

    ReplyDelete
  16. The stove pipe baffle is a great idea. I hope its troubles have ended. Pretty pics of moss and lichen...no idea about them except to admire such beauty.

    Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you should be lichen the moss! :-) I think it is pretty too. Thanks for a fun post. I recognize many of the things growing in your area as growing in my woods as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well it did'nt take long to get the planter in fine looking shape!

    Love the lichen, it looks like it belongs in the ocean so makes it magical on the ground.

    YUP, I am with most everyone else and say to keep the moss. I love the look of it between the bricks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tina, I like the softness that the moss lends to the patio areas. Feels warmer somehow to me. I also like a bit of the rustic and I think it adds that too. Looks "gardeny" (new word I just made up:)
    The newly refurbished bed looks great too!
    -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do like moss. Some of those were strange looking. I loved the soft kind you mentioned. And you got some superb deals!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the planter. That turned out wonderful!!! You worked hard yesterday!!!
    I love the moss(-:
    The stove pipe is a perfect solution to those pesky squirrels. I love how you painted it to blend in too(-: When I was driving the other day I noticed someone put huge cone shaped things around the trunks of their trees I guess that was to keep the squirrels out too. I wish I had a picture to show you. I like the stove pipe better. It is not distracting from the tree. The cone things looked like beacons.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Skeeter, I think you should keep the moss too, in fact if you want to expand it quickly you remove a bunch from where you don't see it. Put it in a blender with milk (not used blender though) When your done blending, pour it on areas you want more moss. As you know the spores have been divided and the milk nurishes them to growth.
    As for the gumballs, I would love more but the wreath I made only put the amount down about 1 inch in the box! I'll do more throughout the year and have a idea for a glitter garland, so next year maybe the time to replenish, I'd love to take them now and would if I had my craftarea built, that's this summer! Love the spring flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ain't the moss slippery? I might keep some of them but not too much, I suppose. BTW, they are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I saw an Erica Glasner Gardener's Diary show where a woman who had previously been trying to remove moss, let her garden go to moss. It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your planter turned out very nice. I like your plant choices.
    I like the lichen and moss. I think you should keep it. I've noticed more lichen growing in our Japanese maple this year for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  27. i love the moss and am trying to grow it on my patio between the stones. i say keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Education post today Skeeter, I didn't know there were that many types of Lichen. I would definitely let the Moss do its' thing on the patio. It looks great growing between the cracks. You can keep the gumballs, I have enough of my own. lol You could always throw them out in the woods maybe???? Enjoy your beautiful day in the garden. Oh and the planter looks great with all those great bargain bulbs you found! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. The moss is beautiful in color, texture, and naturally appealing. Your planter is coming along nicely too.
    Meems @ Hoe and Shovel

    ReplyDelete
  30. yes, we have the same, I like it. I wish you a nice week !!! Kathrin aus Bremen

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good evening everyone. Whew, it has been a lot of work and play this weekend but we are happy of the things we got accomplished in the garden. We still have more to go but happy with the progress thus far. We moved a bit slower today as we were a bit sore from all the work (I mean Play) yesterday. I hope that a good night’s sleep will get me back in shape as I have more plans for tomorrow.

    It looks like the majority likes the moss. I do think we may keep it this year and see what happens with it. I may keep it trimmed just to the cracks of the bricks so as to not be slippery to the feet. I sure dont want the Saint to slip and fall while flipping a burger on the grill. lol...

    My forearms are a bit sore while typing so I had better get off here and maybe go read a few blogs to catch up....

    I hope everyone had some of this beautiful weather this weekend and in the week to come as well....

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Skeeter, just got back into town and thought I would check in before signing off. Of course I love the moss, lichens, all of it. I agree that it helps hold the stones in place and looks cool too, but some people don't like it. Your call. If it were at my place, you can bet it would get to stay though. Also, if no one else has mentioned, the pipe needs to have ventilation or it will suffocate the tree trunk. All things need air. The moisture and heat will build up in there and do great damage. Hardware cloth would be better, the quarter inch size. I will check to see if anyone else said something about this. You got some great bargains!
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  33. Frances, the pipe is totally open at the top. Will that be okay? We can poke some holes in it also if need be but dont want to give the squirrels any thing to be able to grip for climbing...

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love all your planters and wonderful collection you planted in them. Great job.
    I've never seen lichens around here but moss, yes. The combination looks beautiful. I too hope those pesky rascals stay away from that tree.
    Ermm.. I'd say leave the moss there, they look great between the cracks :D

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Skeeter, I think you should call an arborist or the extension office for an expert opinion.

    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  36. What an educating and inspiring post! I loved all the picture and the educating words about the lichen and your mosses. I wish we were in a larger wooded area, because I drooled when I saw your small creek area trailing through your property ;0) If you are still wanting to shuck some more sweet gum pods, sent them to Randy and I, I have a craft idea for them I'm forming in my head...

    --Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Skeeter, I love the mosses and lichens, and they seem to like our shady garden. I'm not sure what kind of lichen we have on the north sides of our maples, but I think it's really pretty. Macro shots show how beautiful it is - it's so tiny it's hard to appreciate it's intricacy and texture with the naked eye.

    The Lawn Man likes to power wash the patio and pavers, but last year I convinced him to leave it alone on the pavers that border our garden. I love the way it ages and adds character to our common concrete pavers.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Chandramouli, Thanks and I to hope he squirrels leave the tree along. I do believe I will let the moss thrive as most everyone seems to think it adds to the garden...

    Frances, here I thought you were an expert! :-)

    Jamie and Randy, The creek is only a rain run off creek so we dont always have water in it during drought times. She has been running pretty well lately though with plenty of rain! I will go to your sight and see if there is a contact email and get your address for gum balls! I will gladly pass them along and can’t wait to see the plan you have for them...

    Garden Girl, We have so many different types of lichen and moss around us here in the woods. It really is pretty and some people use it when crafting! I do think we will leave the moss this year and see what happens. When we moved in here, all we had was the cement slab for the grill and patio furniture. I added the clay colored bricks to give a bit of character and now the moss seems to be helping me out. This area is under a clump of trees and a shade garden area so the moss will only add more interest to the area...

    ReplyDelete
  39. I like the look of all the different mosses and lichens, but sometimes they can be a nuisance where they grow.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Keewee, I am the same way as you. I like moss in certain places like the creek and on rocks. I am not so crazy about it getting on my front brick walkway to the house from the driveway. A bit too formal out there for moss.

    ReplyDelete
  41. HA, I only pretend to know what I am talking about! Convincing, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  42. You've convince me Frances. We are only as good as our experience, and you have plenty-more so than most experts:)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm lichen this post and the link love too! Thanks, Skeeter. See? I'm not the only one who thinks the pipe needs some ventilation. Although you have a good point about giving the squirrels a leg up. I have a mental picture of them trying it out like a climbing wall...

    ReplyDelete
  44. Skeeter your planter looks great and love all the pictures ya got of the moss and lichen. I'm recognizing some of them. Hope the pipe works for your tree - the blossoms on it were so beautiful before the squirrel abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Walk2Write, We will keep an eye on the pipe to make sure it is not burning up the tree. Maybe by late spring we can remove it as the squirrels really dont get into that tree much once the buds and blooms are gone. I saw foot prints on it so know they are already checking it out. Those cute little stinkers...

    Raingardener, Thanks for "lichen" the planter lol. I have always had a difficult time remembering how to pronounce that work but since this fun posting, I will always remember. We did not get the pipe on the tree soon enough as they ate most of the buds. Those little rascals or should I say rats. But there is always next year for beauty…

    ReplyDelete
  46. Very cool pictures of the lichens and moss. I'd say keep the moss in the patio, as it will ensure that no weeds can sprout there. And great idea to protect the tree. Some trees on the edges of our neighborhood get torn apart when the deer are replacing their horns/antlers (not sure the exact terminology) and need to rub on something. Thankfully our home is deep enough into the neighborhood that the deer stay away. VW

    ReplyDelete
  47. VW, you are lucky that the deer stay away from your property as they can do real damage. The Doe make up our herd and they run the Bucks off after rutting season so we dont have to deal with too much damage from them. We have decided to keep the moss and see what happens this year....

    ReplyDelete
  48. I'm lichen the moss on your patio blocks! I'd leave it, if it were mine, that is. I think it gives such character. :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Nancy, Yep, we have decided to give it a go this year and see what develops! Thanks for the thumbs up...

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hi Skeeter, I love the moss and lichens, they make everything look so natural. I enjoy a 'natural' environment and find it very soothing;-)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi - onoe of the other posters said the yellow thing you have ais yellow brain fungus - no - it's not. It looks like slime mold. It is NOT aa fungus it is a protistan. I bet if you mark the edges of where it is that when you come back in an hour it's either spread out beyond the edges ORO that you will find it's moveod like an amoeba. My dad goot this isn his yarad one summer and I marked it with little twigs then would maravele at it as it moveod. Excuse the typos - my laptop sucks :)

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!