Monday, March 16, 2009

My Neighbors Bush

I walked next door to snap a picture of my Georgia neighbors beautiful Camellia Bush.
Their late Winter (or early spring) blooming Camellia is located in the same spot as our white Fall blooming Camellia. Being in the front of their house facing North. It is shaded from the sun during the hottest times of the day.
If just seeing the bud in this picture, I would bet money that this is a peony ready to bloom! Do you see the resemblance?
The day I snapped these pictures, (Feb. 25) it was full of buds ready to pop open at any moment.
These two were bursting at the seams with the sun shining from above!
Ah, what a joy it was to see MY NEIGHBORS BUSH, In the Garden...

Let's have a little fun today and have a contest in the form of a riddle! I am going to provide hints as to the prize. You, the commenters, must solve the riddle. If you believe you have solved the riddle correctly, put your answer in a comment. All the correct answers will then be put into a hat and one winner drawn from the hat by the Saint! This contest will start today Monday March 16 and end on Friday March 20 at 4:00pm eastern time. The winner will be announced on Saturday March 21, 2009.

Due to difficulties with Customs at the Post Office, the prize can only be mailed to a United States postal address. All commenter's are appreciated at In the Garden and we hope you understand. We would still like answers from all commenter's and all correct responders from countries outside the US will be mentioned as winners!

Here is the quiz:
I am now in the dark behind paper and glue,
I would love to shine and stand tall for you.
If you do me right,
Next year, I may give you added delight!
What am I?

Remember, put your answer in a comment to enter the contest. One answer per commenter please. The details will be given to the winner on Saturday, March 21 and no addresses will be shown on the blog! The winner can email their mailing address to ramseytina5@gmail.com to claim their prize.

Have fun working your brain today,
Skeeter

PS. I am still out of the net but will check in here when possible...

29 comments:

  1. we also have two of them but at this moment they are closed, I have to wait :-))))
    liebe Grüße von kathrin aus Bremen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I have no idea ... but I'm cracking my brain ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Realllly beautiful shrub!
    Hummmm, I'll have to think about this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty camellia. I have some like that too(-: My guess is
    A package of seeds? (-:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning everyone! We should be back in net this evening. I will check in then to see what answers we have to the riddle. Have fun with it...

    :-)
    Skeeter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your neighbor's camellia is beautiful Skeeter! I'm guessing seeds too, and now I'll really go out on a limb by guessing camellia seeds. Very clever of you coming up with a riddle for your contest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos!
    I agree with Cindee, it's a package of seeds. :-)--Randy

    ReplyDelete
  8. The camellia is beautiful Skeeter! As for a guess, I'm going to say a poinsettia but I don't really have a clue as to what you do with paper and glue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful camellia and their buds so resemble peony! I do think everyone's guessed correctly about a package of seeds...gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just another of nature's injustices that we can't grow camellias here in northern IL;)
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like a seed packet to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mother's camelia's have been beautiful too. Such a welcome sight at the end of winter!
    My guess is seed packets! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful camellias, so nice of your neighbour to grow them and them let you photograph them.
    i would the riddle is about seeds in a packet. what kind i don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to guess the riddle is referring to a poinsetta plant. What a fun challenge, can't wait to hear the answer.
    Karrita

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good morning all! I have an idea what it is, but am not taking a guess. I am thinking seeds, but not sure what kind!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The camellia is very pretty, a nice view to have!
    I'm terrible at riddles. How about a peony since they don't bloom the first year?

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I first saw the bud I thought it was a peony. However, as they get bigger, you know it is not a peony.

    Oh dear, I have never been good at riddles but for fun and kicks I will go along with everyone that it has to be seeds of some kind and if we need to say the kind, I'll have to go with what the post is about, Camellias.

    Have a safe trip back home Mr. & Mrs. Saint!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't grow the beautiful camellias here in Colorado either. They don't appreciate our alkaline soils. Darn it. They are so beautiful. I have no idea about the clue. I guess I'll wait for more....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Skeeter,
    Beautiful camellia!

    Shine clue --- must be a bulb overwintering in a closet.

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  20. My guess is a packet of Evening Primrose seeds--tall biennials that "shine" in the twilight? Fun contest!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The camelia bush is gorgeous.

    I agree with the 'seed' verdict...but I don't think they could be camelia as I've read that the seeds produced from the pods should be planted right away, and it can take up to 7 yrs. to produce blooms.
    Whatever it is, thanks for the kind gesture!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am entranced by these camellias--just beautiful! My guess is also a package of seeds, but if the answer is more specific than that, I haven't a clue. Thanks for exercising my brain this afternoon, Skeeter:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good Evening everyone! It has been a long day on the road but back home now. The Camellia is a beautiful flower and bush as well. I do enjoy our 4 white ones as well as my neighbors pretty red one. I am lucky to be surrounded by them...

    Ah, the riddle answers have been fun to read. I will tell you the answer and the winner on Saturday. Until then, continue to work your brains. :-)

    Now it is time to snuggle up with some happy kitty cats…

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would guess seeds in a seed packet. And speaking of neighbors, my neighbors seem to have a whole passel of purple crocuses blooming! The injustice. They have very few flowers and I have a whole garden full, but my crocuses aren't up yet. At all. Not even the foliage!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Monica, do you think the squirrels have been relocating them from your yard to the neighbors yard? lol... They will pop up in time as the warm stuff is on the way...

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beauty your neighbor's Camelia bush is right now Skeeter! Thanks for sharing photos of the pretty buds, they do resemble Peony buds. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. My guess was also seeds in their seed packet...but, I have no idea what kind of seed!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ch-ch-chia pet! IDK, I gave it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Raquel, you need to give the riddle a try...

    Lindsey Rae, We will have to wait until Saturday for the answer :-)...

    Dawn, That is a wonderful guess but not sure if you got it correct or not. Will have to wait until Saturday for answer... tee hee...

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!