Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Bloom Day-June 2010



From In the Garden
'Glowing Embers' Hydrangea

This month's Bloom Day post sees many things blooming in the garden, too many for me to keep up with but I'll try to list them here. Mainly the hydrangeas are showing us a HUGE show. The best since I've lived here. I have a total of about 50-60 hydrangeas (all kinds) so I am really loving them.
(More on the hydrangeas later). Let's look at some other blooms and some gardens here at Tiger Gardens-including more hydrangeas. The only hydrangeas not highlighted here are of course the paniculatas. They bloom in July/August in my garden. They include ('Pink Diamond', 'Tardiva', 'Limelight', and 'Grandiflora'). I'll spotlight them when they are in bloom. Today we talk of mopheads, oakleafs, and smooth hydrangeas.


From In the Garden
Speaking of hydrangeas, this one has been growing on the north side of my home for seven years now and is quite the monster. Several small hydrangeas have started from it and that has been a delight. I believe this cultivar is 'Maresii' variegata. A lacecap big leaf hydrangea. It is hard to tell from the photo but the plant is about 7-8 feet wide and four feet tall. It is loaded with flowers this year. While they don't stand out looking at it directly, from above these flowers look like stars.

From In the Garden

Here is a dry but sunny part of the Northside Shrub Border. I thinned this area out last year and did a way with a lot of wildflowers like Queen Anne's Lace. Right now you see daylilies, a beebalm (perhaps a native one-does anyone know?-it is the pale purple flower, shasta daisies and 'Homestead' verbena. These plants seem to compete well with the tulip poplar roots growing in this garden area. The soil is very poor.
From In the Garden
This is the opposite corner of the Northside Shrub Border. This area is mostly shade and is a moist area-a complete turnaround from the above pictured area of the garden. Here we have a hydrangea, with some 'Husker's Red' penstemon (not blooming it is the red foliaged plant), and lilies just opening up. I really enjoy this part of the garden because it is a large area just ripe for anything, though they have to be most shade tolerant. Goldenrod, a 'Tardiva' hydrangea, 'Mt. Airy' viburnum and Joe Pye weed are also visible in this picture.

From In the Garden
Stokesia, daylilies, yarrow, 'Sunny Border Blue' veronica, and coreopsis share the spotlight in the Sunny Perennial Border.

From In the Garden

A close up of the stokesia, a new addition last year (Thanks Gail for showcasing this wonderful plant!). I'm liking that I found one!

From In the Garden
'Moonbeam' coreopsis and 'Royal Candles' veronica in the Sunny Perennial Border. Love the veronicas! 'Sunny Border Blue' is coming along too. Dianthus is blooming across the path in the Rear Center Garden in the above picture.

From In the Garden
The 'Annabelles' take center stage no matter where they are planted. Here we see them in the 'Greenhouse Garden' sharing the spotlight with a Japanese maple, astilbes and daylilies. This view looks thru from a center lawn area past a relaxing area to the greenhouse. Three gardens are shown here. The relaxing area has its own garden where a 'Red Pygmy' dogwood, hostas and 'Stella' daylilies grow in full shade, and the immediate front garden garden is a full shade garden surrounding an oak tree. Here autumn ferns, astilbes, and colombines grow, along with a special sweetshrub called 'Hartlage Wine', a Raulston introduction.



From In the Garden

Here is the right side of the relaxing area looking thru the trees from the sunny area of the garden toward the deck. Red hot pokers are happy here. These are a later type and vary in color from the normal orange/yellow ones that have already bloomed and are past their prime. These ones still bloom wonderfully. Looking toward the relaxing area we find the right hand garden. This garden sports a 'Vaughns Lille' oakleaf hydrangea, an azaleas, ferns and hostas. My favorite hosta of all time is growing here. I'll disclose it at a later date but think about what your favorite hosta is-how do you choose just one??

From In the Garden

Another view of the 'Annabelles' by 'Burgundy Flame' in the Greenhouse garden. Some garden writers refer to 'Annabelles' as cartoonish. I say bring on the cartoons because these shrubs are splendid performers in my garden and most that I've seen. Besides, white goes with everything and who can deny these whites?

From In the Garden

Sidalcea 'Party Girl'. According to Paghat's Garden this little flower is a native of the northwest. It has struggled a bit in my garden but might actually start to come along now that it has been growing here for more than one year. It is similar to hollyhocks but much smaller.

From In the Garden
Astilbes in the Woodland/Heuchera Garden. Astilbes love it here for some reason. They even do well in the dry shade. I think shade is key for them.

From In the Garden
Northside Border with 'Homestead' verbena, Daylilies catmint, and Yarrow blooming. The lilies in the foreground are getting ready to bloom soon. This border is approximately 110 long by 11+ feet wide. It has been a challenge and has undergone many changes; like all gardens I guess. My challenge is the conditions all along it are different. Some areas are dry shade, some are wet shade, some areas get dry sun and other areas get part sun, still others get full shade. What a puzzle. The entire perennial border is backed by shrubs so I guess it is a mixed border; like all of my gardens. To the right of the Northside border and barely visible in this picture is the Crabapple garden. This circular garden in my sideyard has been a challenge as well, but it blooms nicely all year so I guess I can't complain. What good would it do anyhow since I'm the gardener??

From In the Garden


The Front Center Garden. A wonderful garden placed smack dab in the middle of my front yard between the front door to the house and the road. There is another view of it as if looking out the front door below. This is one of two borders that kind of shield the home from the road. The road would be to the left in this picture. It is an interesting story on how this garden evolved, perhaps I'll tell it one day. So much to talk about and so little time. Sigh. Blooming here are: yellow primroses, 'Blushing Bride' hydrangeas, oakleafs, catmint, Asiatic lilies, oxalis, daylilies and heucheras.


From In the Garden


Butterfly weed is blooming in a big way. I planted about 6 pots late last summer (not this kind). Those plants were awesome last fall and the monarchs flocked to the flowers. The plants did not return:( I think they left behind tons of seedlings though. Please let it be so that I don't have to admit I am nurturing weeds.



From In the Garden


'Pink Beauty' Hydrangea macrophylla blooming in the Hydrangea garden.


From In the Garden

Campanula and oakleaf hydrangeas

From In the Garden

Asiatic lilies, oxalis, catmint, 'Snowhill ' salvia, 'Blushing Bride' and oakleaf hydrangeas in the front center garden.


From In the Garden

Campanula.


From In the Garden


Iris brevicaulis? Growing in my bathtub pond.

Also blooming: oxalis, catmint, hardy amaryllis, lantana, geraniums, pelargoniums, primrose (yellow and pink), merrybells, daylilies, salvia, phlox pilosa, hydrangeas (oakleafs, mopheads, lacecaps, Annabelle), red twig dogwood, campanulas, heucheras, strawberry begonias, foxgloves, cleome, lilies, sidalacea, 'Diamond Frost', salvias, creeping blue star, coneflowers, cleome, bee balm (red as well as light purple), impatiens, melampodium, spiderwort, crepe myrtles (white), mums, sedum, verbena and petunias (Proven Winners), hostas, hollyhocks, bee balm, and that is all I can remember for now. I have put a lot of info in this post-more for me than anyone else. I plan to slow down on my blogging but hope to keep up with my weekly posts so I am trying to make them pretty inclusive-hence the length.

Yesterday was my twin daughters birthday. It is incredible to believe that they are both now nearing 30. I can hardly believe it and have to do a double take each time I think about how the years have flown. I wish them both many many more birthdays! And send all my love...

in the garden....


Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team,

In the Garden

31 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Your almost out of blogger pages! Everything is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That variegated 'Mariesii' is fine. With all that you have going in the garden right now, I am amazed you have time to spare on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Tina, you have so much going on in your garden right now, I don't know where to begin! Hydrangeas are one of my favorites, too, so I noticed them peeking out everywhere here--beautiful. Do you have acidic soil or do you have to amend it to get those gorgeous blue blooms? I know you've shown all your gardens before, and I remember being impressed by the sheer size of them, but I don't remember if you said how long you had been gardening. How many years did it take you to develop all of these?

    June is definitely "bustin' out" all over your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Tina! That's a lot to look at. The 'Mariesii' Hydrangea was one I think I had as a cutting but it died soon after planting. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dawn, The pictures are adding up for sure.

    Les, That Maresii is so awesome this year. It's true the hydrangeas get better with age, lucky them. As for as time-I don't have so much time on the computer for sure, but the gardens demand mainly editing and dividing, a bit of weeding of pruning.

    Rose, My soil is naturally acidic but I do add an acid loving food to all hydrangeas, azaleas, blueberries, and camellias in March. If I have time I add more in June. I like the blues for sure. I've lived in my home 9 years but have been intensely gardening since 2003, so 7 years for all the gardens. Some range in age from 9 years to one year. I'm pretty much out of space for more. These gardens here aren't even half of them, there are a lot for sure. All have shrubs or trees growing in them and all have come a long way. They are large for sure and take up a good part of my one acre. Thanks for asking, glad you like them.

    Dave, If we get together again I'll dig you a baby. I just gave Naomi one and she was quite happy. This hydrangea is spectacular even when not in bloom due to the variegated foliage. I simply adore hydrangeas. Your front garden is looking mighty fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your daughters! I have a severe case of garden envy. Yours is just lovely! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tina -what can I say ..I love seeing the flowers in your garden. They always make me smile -such beauty. And, Happy Birthday to your girls! Time does fly -especially when we watch our kiddos growing -they grow faster than the weeds in my yard:0) And, trust me the weeds in my yard grow Fast, hehehe. Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning Tina. Great garden tour. Hydrangeas are one of my favorites. I wish we could grow more varieties up here, the mop heads do the best. As the eastern foundation of my house gets shadier every year, I will be replacing some of my sun lovers with hydrangea.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning All.
    Happy Birthday to the girls. Yes, time does pass quickly.
    You have a wonderful bunch of gardens. I'm envious. My hydrangeas are not blooming yet. Stokesia was the plant in question. I have those but they are about finished. I have the blue & I also have a yellow {that carries my mother name} which I think I'll put in the same bed next yr. Blue & yellow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have so much blooming!! Your garden is looking quite lush. I can't get over the number of hydrangeas you say you have. Wow! You certainly have a lot of variety too. By the way, the gear sculpure is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tina! Your garden looks magnificent. There is so much to "ooh" and "aah" about, I don't know where to start! I know I have to say that first hydrangea photo stopped me in my tracks tho. I'm so jealous at how large and bodacious yours are ~ I have one oakleaf and I thought I lost it this past winter. Started digging it out yesterday and lo and behold, it was sending out very small new shoots way down at the base. I hope I didn't kill it with my spade now.
    If I were you, I would sit in that hot tub and just enjoy the amazing beauty all around that you created!

    ReplyDelete
  12. .Oh boy that sure is a lotta flowers and all are beautiful!!

    That is just what I said yesterday, where has 29 years gone?
    Seems like it should only be 10 or 15 years ago that I was suffering in the NC heat to be there when my first grandkids were born!!!! Terrible, makes you think just how short life really is. However, it has been a pretty good ride so just have to enjoy all you can.

    All those Hydrangea and have you seen all the new ones this year?!! OMG there are a dozen or more that are on the market for the first time and 2 or 3 more to be released later this summer. There is one called Vanilla Strawberry that is a bright pink and white variegated. It is in the Peegee family and looks like a winner for sure. Funny cause I just read the article on them last night and was going to tell you about them this morning. How is that for timing? It was in the Portland Sunday paper (one that was from when on wacation that I am just getting caugt up on). I will have to send the article to you. Then again, maybe I should not send it, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tina, wow you've got a lot blooming! My Stoke's aster are just thinking about opening. That first hydrangea is stunning. But my favorite thing shown? That cool gear sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow does it ever look beautiful there! You have so much blooming. Your Hydrangeas are quite a bit ahead of mine, but I think mine will be caught up in another week or two. I love the Stokesia, I will be looking for that one.
    Happy Birthday to your daughters!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carla, Thanks!

    Anonymous, So very glad! I sure know about those weeds too.

    Marnie, Hydrangeas will be lovely along your foundation. They are such versatile and romantic shrubs to me.

    Lola, Those stokesia are pretty nice indeed.

    GSS, Check this link for more info on my wonderful birthday present hubby made me last year: http://tinaramsey.blogspot.com/2009/08/yard-art-and-birthday-gift.html It is a keeper!

    Kathleen, Yes, do wait that oakleaf just might surprise you. We occasionally sit and relax-at night when we can't see the garden:) Makes it easier to relax.

    Mom, It is SO darned hard to believe I tell you. Amazing. Yes, I've seen the new introductions-a ton for sure. I'm sitting pretty where I'm at though-please don't tempt me:)

    Monica, Check the link on the sculpture my husband made me. Quite easy and a wonderful part of the garden: http://tinaramsey.blogspot.com/2009/08/yard-art-and-birthday-gift.html P.S. I'm quirky like that too-go for the cool stuff, plants come and go...

    Catherine, Each time you post something that is off on the schedule I have here I'm in shock. for instance your pulmonarias were way ahead of mine yet the hydrangeas here are earlier? Odd huh? Yours will be there soonest!@

    ReplyDelete
  16. That front center garden, Tina? Worthy of a magazine!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! You have so much in bloom!

    I'm a big fan of 'annabelle' and grew a big garden of those (once upon a time in a garden long, long ago).

    Do the Veronica rebloom? Do bunnies leave them alone?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE the color on your glowing embers hydrangea! I’ve never seen that before. My newly planted hydrangeas are doing well. I love how hearty a plant it is.

    Your garden is amazingly diverse and lush. Thanks for sharing it. Happy Birthday to your daughters!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoyed the pics! I had trouble with my butterfly weed. I dug a clump from the roadside last fall and it came up looking healthy...then all of a sudden it looks wilty and laid over? I'm not giving up though because I love it! You also inspire me to try astilbes again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jen, Thanks so much!

    Cameron, Those annabelles are like the Mae Wests of hydrangeas I think. The veronicas bloom on and off all season. They are wonderful versatile plants and a very pretty blue. 'Sunny Border Blue' was a perennial plant of the year. Not sure on the bunnies because I don't have much of a problem with them here, just those %#^$#^ chipmunks. Let us know if you trial them.

    Sarah, It is an odd hydrangea with the blue buttons in it. A very deep pink too. Your hydrangeas will take off in that good Maine weather. Thanks on the girls.

    Jennifer, I had the same thing happen to some Russian sage. I think it was a problem with drainage in my case because they died around the heavy rain times. Maybe this is your butterfly weed problem? Give it some time perhaps it will bounce back. The astilbes do well-I bet they'd like frolicking with the hostas by your spring house.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful Tina! I hope to get out to see it, maybe friday??? I will bring Pam with me for a quick visit if thats okay.....

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is fine Skeeter. I have to run out to the post office first thing for a sec but will be home all day...in the garden of course:) Looking forward to meeting Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your gardens are absolutely incredible, Tina! I was hoping that we could stop by for a short visit on our way to Southeast Missouri and S. Illinois this summer, but the trip has been postponed. Other things have laid claim to finances, unfortunately. Since your DIL has been relocated to NW Florida, maybe you can come down for a visit. We would love to see you and the family again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. W2W, Stop by anytime-you're always welcomed and I'll be sure to chill some wine. I think we will try to come visit DIL during Labor Day weekend so if you are around we'll get together then? I'll email once it gets closer but you're on for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Tina your garden is fabulous! I love the idea of your big bed that is such a puzzle because it's growing conditions change every few feet. :) I can't believe you have 50-60 hydrangeas. I have one. It was a present. It came in a pot, was overgrown, had been pruned several times and probably given massive amounts of fertilizer to encourage huge flowers. It is a peegee hydrangea. I planted it in the shade and tried to encourage it. They are always the last plant to leaf out in the spring. last year it did ok but the flowers were smaller. I don't use chemical fertilizers in the garden This year I thought it was dead. I was all set to dig it up when I noticed shoots coming out of the roots so I cut back the dead stems and have decided to give it a chance. I hope it survives because I like their creamy, pink blushed flowers shinning out of the shade.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow this was a massive post with tons of beautiful blooms. You know me though I'm a bit partial to the Hydrangeas. Love that 'Glowing Embers' (did I get the name right? lol) Can't remember now seeing all the other gorgeous flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow! Tina, how amazing are your hydrangeas. I can only dream of them! Great post

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wish I could drop by with Skeeter! This takes my breath away! It really encourages me to go ahead with some plans to enlarge some of our existing beds.... Hubby and I just moved a couple of chairs a possible spot to create a new one. After seeing this post with all your beauties, I'm ready to "have at it"!

    The hydrangeas ARE amazing - as is your entire yard.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a show you have going on right now. You must be in heaven. Love that butterfly weed, and I usually shy away from color, but something about that color has me rethinking my restrained palette.
    Happy birthday to your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sigh, sorry we did not get to visit your gardens Tina. The heat had me exhausted each day after doing work for my parents. Hopefully, I will see the beauty on the next TN visit....

    ReplyDelete
  31. All very pretty, but the first photograph is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!