Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Bloom Day-October 2010

From In the Garden
This month's Bloom Day seriously sees the garden slowing down with a few exceptions. On last Wednesdays' post of Plant of the Month I posted a good amount of my superb performers minus a few other fall bloomers, mainly the asters, mums, and a few roses. That is because with the exception of the Tartarian asters most of my asters had only just began blooming when I posted last week. This week they are much further along and doing fantastically so I'll share a few of them with you. For more blooms see last Wednesday's post. Here an unknown butterfly (perhaps a skipper) enjoys 'Miss Huff' lantana in the Vegetable Garden Border.

From In the Garden
The plants that are doing the best in my gardens this year are the ones located around the vegetable garden. This is due to the fact that the perennials and shrubs located here do not have to compete with tree roots like all the other gardens do. Here is a long shot of the front Vegetable Garden Border. Pineapple sage, lantana, and asters grow and bloom here in this garden. The colors of blue, orange, and deep red look great together. Tartarian asters bloom in the Rear Center Garden by the yellow birdhouse that you can just see in the background.

From In the Garden

Just around the corner from the above bed we transition into the Sunny Perennial Border. A David Austin rose 'Falstaff' has thanked me for transplanting it into this sunny border by pushing out some new blooms. This rose has a true rose fragrance and I can't get enough of it! I could start a flower delivery service with these beauties! A true sign of a David Austin rose is the great amount of petals-look at them all!

From In the Garden
Here are some wonderful jewel toned asters my friend Naomi gave me last fall. They are sited perfectly in front of one of my mosaics.

From In the Garden
Lastly I show you a picture of some of my mums. These are by far my favorite fall blooming perennial. They are such stunners and come in such a big variety of colors that there is one for every garden-just beware they can quickly take over your garden if you get the wrong kind. The pink flowers to the left are a Knockout rose. This pink one is a great bloomer.

Also blooming not pictured: Russian sage, impatiens, Mexican butterfly weed, geraniums, coreopsis, 'Chocolate' eupatorium, Chinese indigo, zinnias, verbena bonariensis, hibiscus, veronica, ornamental grasses, silverberries, a few houseplants, melampodium, and sedums...

in the garden....

Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team,

In the Garden

30 comments:

  1. Your Asters are great! I just love them and am really excited since you told me that one I have will come back just as big after I divide it! They are so showy. I also love the Mums but apparently have gotten the wrong kind every year because they don't come back. I'll have to look for the right ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really pleased with my Asters too this fall. They are such long bloomers. Your garden is still looking quite lovely with all the wonderful blooms still going strong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina,

    That Falstaff is wow! Your skipper is a female Sachem very common in the garden right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pineapple sage is being defiant this year. Maybe lack of water...what is the variegated leaf blade in the last photo, liriope?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina ~ Love your colorful veggie garden and your Falstaff rose is beautiful. I love roses that have that deep rose scent too. Your asters are wonderful and look oh so good with your mosaic piece. Love the picture of your mums with the grass behind. I enjoyed this little visit to your gardens.

    Have a great day ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. You gotta luv Miss Huff, blooming since May and will keep on until frost tells her to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those blue asters. And the Lantana in front of the grass is gorgeous. What is the name of that grass?
    Morning all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The asters look great. Love that mosaic. But, the skipper on the lantana is my favorite. Pretty party colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The roses look great! I like the way the garden with the pineapple sage is situated and the rock border around it. Do you collect seed from your sage or overwinter it with cuttings?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda, The trick is to plant them by the first of October or so. They also need very good drainage so on a hill or so and you should have mums come back.

    Darla, The pineapple sage sure loves water. I lost a lot of mine that had to compete for water with tree roots. The variegated thing in the background is a grass, probably an invasive grass but I simply love it as the white is a stunning backdrop. Be happy to send you some if you don't have it. Just email me.

    Flowerlady, Thanks for dropping by and I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit. Blogging is the best for visits when you can't actually come.

    Les, I adore her indeed. So easy to keep going too. I was fortunate in that two plants actually came back for me while in the ground! First time!

    Lola, An unknown grass I picked up at a plant sale. I'll ID it soon though since it seems to garner interest. I can send you some if you like as I'll soon be dividing and moving it around.

    GSS, The lantana sure brings in the butterflies. I like that skipper photo too for sure.

    Dave, I should try to collect seeds as our MG will be having a seed swap that I'll be spearheading soon. Not sure how to do it but hopefully we'll muddle it through. Anyhow, I find it so much easier to winter over my tenders with cuttings. I have a whole flower box with them all blooming in the greenhouse ready for next year. One thing I'll do differently is not plant under trees. They did not like that.

    Dawn, It is a keeper! So many years I had it in shade where it languished. Now it is most happy I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's hard for me to believe it's October by looking at your garden, Tina--so many blooms! I find it interesting how plants bloom at different times depending on their location. While your asters are going strong, mine have pretty much faded. But my pineapple sage is just starting to bloom--yours is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of pretty color still going on in Tiger Gardens. Not too much color in the line of flowers up here now but the leaves are getting very colorful.

    Those people involved with the rescure of those 33 miners are just amazing but can you grasp the courage and deducation of the 2 that went DOWN into the mine. I can barely compare it to anything else!!!!! It is just mind boggling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful butterfly! I love the rose as well. I am glad to come by and see your flowers...mine are done. Really, since it snowed and froze recently.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rose, I too find it so odd how some plants bloom earlier or later based on location. Weird, really weird to me. Since we are a bit warmer you'd think my asters would be done and not yours.

    Mom, It really is something! Such a nice ending for them and I hope they all stay healthy. So many days underground-couldn't imagine it!

    Rosey, Total bummer on snow and freeze. Here we have 80s and lots of sun though we sure need rain. Come visit the flowers here anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful blooms. Magnificent pic of the lantana.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely Asters, I was also going to ask about the grass in the last photo but see the question has already been asked. I wondered if it was an Arundo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whoa, that is some rose! Love the color and I can practically smell it. Well, you have plenty to carry you through October, it looks like. Your grasses are really shining this time of year, arent' they?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! What a beautiful fall garden you have. I love the late bloomers you've got going now. The rose is so pretty, I love it's petals too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy GBBD! I love the sharp image of the moth on the colorful blooms. It’s odd that a pretty rose is called Falstaff as he was an ugly, if charismatic, character in Shakespeare.

    Thanks for being so understanding about Stella. I’m sorry for your furry loss too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Asters are still winners, not to mention the lantana.
    Love crowded garden beds.
    Sure plants that have space in between them are pretty but I think crowded plants are happier.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the offer Tina. It really catches the eye.
    My Lantana {White & lavender} have started blooming lots more since I moved them to the east side of my house. I for sure don't want to loose these as I've never seen them again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always have garden envy after a visit with you! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love asters but usually the frost kills them off before they have time to flower. Most of the perennial ones aren't hardy up here. I'm impressed by variety of flowers you have in bloom , enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Falstaff is gorgeous! I don't have Pineapple Sage this year and really miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. There was a lot of interest in the white grass in the last picture of this post. I have identified it as Japanese silver grass, aka Miscanthus sinensis 'Variegata' if anyone is wondering what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What would we do without Miss Huff in our gardens? I love it. Your David Austin is gorgeous.
    Thanks for the ID of the grass. I wish I had divided some of my Dixieland Miscanthus before I left....just ran out of time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can just imagine how fragrant that rose is! Lovely color, too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE the asters and mosaic Tina! Your October garden is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!