Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Chihuly at Cheekwood



From In the Garden
This weekend was such a glorious weekend! The weather was perfect although there was no rain and we need rain. That's okay because our family took a trip to Cheekwood in Nashville to see the Chihuly exhibit. The last day to see this exhibit is October 29th so hurry! You don't want to miss the exhibit and the grounds at Cheekwood are stunning. The cost is $15 per person for adults but if you are military be sure to ask for a discount because Cheekwood is highly supportive of the military and all military folks get a 50% off discount! A bargain indeed for a great day out with the family. I wished my other daughter could've joined us but her husband is busy preparing to deploy and so a visit to Cheekwood with us was not in the cards. Perhaps next time.

These are but a few of the pictures I took at Cheekwood. Mr. Fix-it thought we would never move on with me taking all sorts of pictures but the exhibit exceeded my expectations so much that I had to try to record it all. You just can't tell the scale of the glass in pictures and really must see it in person in order to get the full spectacular effect. But without further ado let's looks at some photos of Cheekwood...

From In the Garden
A grotto/reflecting pool area under the mansion. In honor of the 50th Anniversary of Cheekwood visitors receive a special treat in that many artifacts and belongings of the family who donated Cheekwood were on display. I loved this part best! You can tour the mansion for free and that is where you'll find some great Chihuly chandeliers and the artifacts and furniture. The mansion is great and while it is not that old it is reminiscent of the castles of Europe. The family who built and owned Cheekwood is the same family of Maxwell House Coffee fame. Too neat huh? They made lots of money from their famous coffee and lived well on this estate (as relayed by a sign in the mansion).

From In the Garden
More of the reflecting pool.

From In the Garden
My oldest daughter Christine tried to get out of going to Cheekwood but I convinced her she just had to go. I think she enjoyed it don't you?

From In the Garden
Now these two enjoyed it all too. It was Mr. Fix-it and Christine's first visit to Cheekwood, but Jimmy visited a few years ago with me. Everyone really liked the park.

From In the Garden
What spectacular views you get of the surrounding countryside from the mansion!

From In the Garden
The grasses were wonderful in the Sunny Perennial Border. All the plants looked pretty good considering our drought. I think Cheekwood waters a LOT though.

From In the Garden
More of the perennial border. I do enjoy the sunny gardens but it was way more comfortable in the Wildflower and Japanese Gardens. My favorite gardens were in the shade.

From In the Garden
One last view of one of the 'swimming ponds'. The floating displays were fabulous. If you think you may wish to visit the Chihuly exhibit don't wait too long as the time to see it is nearing the end. Our visit to Cheekwood with Chihuly was simply a fabulous time....

in the garden....

Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team,

In the Garden

22 comments:

  1. What a beautiful day! They must water a lot huh? I have never seen glass displays like this, thanks for sharing. And the best of wishes and prayers of protection to your son in law. AND give him a BIG Thank You and a hug from Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the Chihuly exhibit when it was in the Atlanta Botanical Garden. Each exhibit is unique. Gardens are a beautiful place to display art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was fortunate to visit Cheekwood ages ago and loved it. I can only imagine how it is enhanced by the addition of Chihuly. With the brown lawn, that last picture tells me how dry it has been there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thank you! I'd never even heard of Chihuly until I read your post, but I love the alien landscapes the glass sculptures create in what looks to be a rather lovely garden. Thank you for sharing your day out, will have to see if I can find an exhibition somewhat closer to home...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a wonderful day, Tina! So glad you got to see this Chihuly exhibit. If I didn't live so far away, I'd definitely consider a day trip to Cheekwood. Chihuly's works are so beautiful; what I like about them, too, is that he creates works that seem to fit right into the setting they're placed in. I see some similar themes to the works I saw in Phoenix, and yet these pieces fit more into the Tennessee landscape. Beautiful! I hope many people in the area take the time to see this exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tour... I have never heard of the place before. If I am ever in the area, I'll have to visit. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great. Thanks for the tour. What interesting displays and I just love all the plants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard that the Chihuly exhibit is spectacular! It's amazing what they have done with the glass. It looks so organic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darla, There was evidence of water everywhere so I can only imagine just how much they water. The plants are most happy though I can't imagine that water bill!

    Donna, Lucky you! I feel so lucky to have been able to see this exhibit so close to home.

    Les, Good catch on the dryness! Everything is crispy here but with irrigation of the gardens they were still pretty green. I wish I could irrigate as my gardens and grass are crispy too. Don't mind the grass but the plants-not so good.

    Janet, It was a lovely day indeed. I'm surprised Chihuly has not reached the UK shores. It is a stunning display each time.

    Rose, I so enjoyed your post on the sculptures in Arizona. Quite different yet the same indeed. They are stunning!

    Carla, Cheekwood is awesome and a little treasure we have here in Nashville. I actually really like Nashville though I didn't think I'd admit it. If you ever get by this way let me know and maybe we can visit.

    GSS, Cheekwood is such a gem for us. And to think it is young as far as old money goes. Boy if we could only all have gardens like Cheekwood!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic tour Tina.Thanks for taking us along. It looks like it was a beautiful day & the whole family enjoyed it. I've never heard of it before. If I were closer I might try to go.
    The grass in the 7th pic looks like the grass I had ask you about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tina the Chihuly exhibit is wonderful. Everything is placed in just the right spot to really make it a show! I'd love to be a little closer to come and see it. Thanks for posting your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your visit. It looks like a very special place. I have never seen such unique displays.
    Rosey

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like spectacular gardens and glass sculptures. He sure has a natural amazing talent to work with glass. Christy posted a picture of a pond full of pond lilies that is just to die for.

    What are the purple bands for? I am hoping the color is just a little off in the pictures and it is really a blue for colon cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Does someone blow glass in the family? Just wondering why they like that medium so much. Beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lola, That grass is a type of miscanthus. Yours might be the same but also might be an uncultivated kind. I cannot really tell from the picture but look up miscanthus and you might find the right one.

    Linda, I bet Chihuly will make it out your way. It is well worth visiting it too.

    Rosey, It was simply incredible and so hard to believe.

    Mom, Just got back from Nashville with Rog so haven't seen Christine's post but will check it. The purple bands are to show we paid for seeing the exhibit. Normally you pay at the gate but due to all the folks we were able to park then just walk inside. There were docents at a lot of the exhibits checking for bands I think.

    Dawn, I'm not sure on the history of the man Chihuly but the medium and his exhibits are nationally known. Quite cool too. Liz blows glass here in my family and perhaps Christine has but I'm not sure. Liz and Chris's first date was a glass blowing class which would be neat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The sculptures are amazing, such stunning colours. There was an exhibition of this work at Kew a few years back and I so wish I had been to see it. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw some Chihuly works when I visited Phoenix last year, and I was impressed. But the display at Cheekwood puts that one to shame! The sculptures are amazing in their settings. Cheekwood looks like a fabulous place to spend a day. Thanks for sharing your great visit!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, sure is awesome! I hope we can get down there before it ends. Boy 1 is testing tomorrow for school, piano and guitar after that. I know lil Bundle would love all that color! Actually got out in the yard today for a bit to clear out some old flowers. And, the rain is great! Have a good evening all! Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you were able to persuade your daughter and hubby to go see those beautiful glass displays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Chihuly and it's nice to see a backdrop of hills! Glad your family enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE Chihuly, Tina. Cheekwood, and the exhibit are spectacular. Thanks for sharing your day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can you imagine someone wandering in there, not realizing these were sculptures? I love the way he blended them into the landscape with many plant-like qualities.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!