Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Building Planters from Leftover Timbers (4 x 4s)

From In the Garden
This post has been a long time coming and I am sometimes most ashamed at just how long it takes me to make things-not the posting. Obviously if I made these planters a bit sooner I would've posted it sooner-like last spring! At any rate, a project I've had on the burner for a few years has finally come to fruition. Many many years ago my husband brought home a wooden box with wheels on it. The wooden box was made of plywood with probably 2 x 6s for its base and corner posts. The wooden box was about 2'x2' and a perfect planter. I had it out front with a grass or something or other growing it. As the years went by the box deteriorated until the point it just fell apart last summer. Enter some old 4x4s I had in my garden. I don't like using wood for anything simply because it does rot and waste away but these 4x4s were in pretty good shape and I thought with the right set up I might just make them last for a while. I gathered all of the 4x4s and set them on my driveway in anticipation for the day I'd be able to build my new planters. You can see the wide variety of sizes and types in the picture above.

From In the Garden
Little did I know it would take about six months for the time to come that I could finally put my plan into action. I had a vision and also a plan, but as plans go mine changed. My plan was to have a somewhat tapered pyramid style planter (two). My challenge was to get all of the pieces cut from the limited amount of 4 x4 I had. I really had to be creative with measurements making sure I had no leftovers, but when all was said and done I did well and had enough pieces of the now much shortened 4x4s for my planters. In order to ensure it all worked I stacked as I went along.

From In the Garden
The next step was to attach the pieces together to form the squares. This took a lot of time and muscle power and resulted in a few blisters. The way I decided to secure these 4x4s together was with lag screws counter sunk into the wood and as an added security measure I added construction adhesive to the joints. Drilling each of the holes, changing the bit then drilling the countersunk part took a lot of time then screwing them all together took even longer. Finally! Once all squares were secured I painted the squares with a good quality wood stain. The product up to now is pictured above.

The next to the last step was to secure the 4x4s together. I managed this by using more construction adhesive and then nailing in five inch spikes through the wood. This took a
lot of time as well. Hammering in five inch spikes was hard work and even though I am used to carpentry my arm needed quite a few rests. In fact, I could not complete each step on both of the planters and had to take a few days to get to this point.

The last and final steps were to secure a bottom to the planters, drill some drainage holes, add the casters (weight limit 300 pounds-these casters were found at Harbor Freight but any good hardware store should carry them for a few bucks), flip the planters upright then line the inside with heavy black plastic and completion!

I did add in a few large squares of hard Styrofoam to the bottom part of my planters to take up some room and allow for drainage. The bottom foot or so is nothing but Styrofoam. Lastly, I mixed my own potting soil and filled the planters. One planter holds a windmill palm (given to me by a fellow blogger), and the other holds an ornamental grass. The windmill palm is supposed to be hardy to Zone 7 and while we are in technically in Zone 6 here, I think with the insulating capacity of the 4x4s, and the reflective properties of the stone on my home that my palm should be fine outside for most of the winter. If the palm starts to look bad it will be a simple matter to wheel it into the garage where it will be safe. I have seen these windmill palms over winter in my area with nothing but a burlap wrap so I am hopeful it will be safe outside. Here are the finished products.....

From In the Garden
Windmill Palm Tree

From In the Garden

Miscanthus sinensis 'Variegata'

in the garden....

Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team,

In the Garden

25 comments:

  1. WOW, what an accomplishment. I love the color too. They must be heavy, and I was glad to see wheels on them, which will make life easier on you.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dawn.

    Flowerlady, Very very heavy indeed. Wheels sure help plus raise them off the ground. Good for drainage I think.

    Thanks Antigonum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great planters, Tina, and having them on wheels will really make it easier for you to work with them, not to mention the drainage. Another impressive accomplishment! Wish I could have you visit for a few days...we could scrounge around the barn and shed, and maybe you could come up with some ideas I could make:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very neat! The wheels are a great idea. That planter looks like it could be quite heavy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your hard work and planning paid off bigtime! They really look great Tina. You are so clever and resourceful in the garden... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tina, those are really nice. I like the color you painted them as well. Does the windmill palm stay outside during the winter? We planted a couple of them, I know they are hardy here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sold! Tina, they are so good, you can start your own business! Wheels - great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW GIRL!!!! You are so good. I just love em and I never would have thought of the casters but they sure will last a lot longer and also the drainage factor for the health of the plants will thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Extremely impressed! I could never attempt such a creative project ... the wheels, perfect, and I love the style that goes with anything. Good job, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you put some muscle into those planters! I think they look great. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those planters! Your hard work really paid off in a big way! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rose, If I ever get up that way I'll be sure to stop by. Oh the fun I could have in an old barn!

    Dave, Very heavy indeed-purposeful. I want it to last and not blow away and I think it will work that way.

    Racquel, Sometimes I get good ideas but it takes a while and you know what they say, Necessity is the mother of all inventions-that's me. Recycling things into the new are also me:)

    Janet, I think the palms are hardy to Zone 7. I'm technically on the edge of Zone 6/7 BUT I am truly hoping it will do okay outside. There are some palms in town that have survived for several years-with protection. Should it get too cold here and my palm starts to suffer into the garage it goes. But that should be only a few weeks time as we really don't have prolonged deep freezes here anymore. Helen has a GIGANTIC (20 feet tall at least) one she has planted on the south side of her home in Raleigh. It is incredible. She actually gave me this one that has grown significantly in the 1 1/2 years I've cared for it. You will love yours. They are easy to care for.

    Tatyana, I did start my own business but it is not as busy as my own home garden. lol

    Mom, This project has been in the works for months. You may have remembered all those nasty 4 x 4s in my driveway? This is them now. So glad it is done! I'm finding I'm able to wrap up a lot of projects lately. Not in the garden though as we are still bone dry. Very sad here.

    Joey, The style does work with anything and I custom built them to my specs for the spot they are to be located. I was just happy I had all those 4 by 4s. You can do it too! Very easy-but time consuming for sure, and maybe a few blisters but you can do it!

    GSS, Lots of muscles and sweat. It was quite the project. Sometimes I want projects done in one day but as we gardeners know, nothing gets done in one day-at least not for me anymore. Your new fence area looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Blog is lovely. I came across it while seaching for walk/run trails on Ft. Campbell. We have recently moved here and I am getting back into my workout routine and am looking for beautiful and inspiring areas to walk and run in. I couldn't find anything regarding your Clarksville Trail posts regarding specifics on the trail, where on post it is and the route. Do you by chance have the route worked out? I would love it if you shared it. I certainly don't mind driving to a great route and am happy to drag my two little ones with me. Any help would be appreciated! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kirsten, Hello and welcome! Thanks so much for leaving such a nice comment. It is always nice to meet new local folks. The trail I walk is on Fort Campbell proper so I'm pretty sure the maps would not be available online. If you come to Fort Campbell you need a pass to get on post if you don't already have one. Another option for walking in Tennessee is the Tennessee Greenways trails. Not sure if that is the exact name but you can easily find these trails online. Just Google it. I think they will have maps of all the trails you can walk or bike or run. They are excellent and beautiful too! Clarksville (my home city) has a fairly new one that is supposed to be great but I normally walk on base since that is closer and more familiar for me. A good amount of cities in Tennessee have these trails which are all marked and stroller and children friendly. I've seen the one in Nashville by White Bridge Road and it is absolutely awesome! Check them out if the Fort Campbell thing does not work for you. Nothing beats a good safe walking trail and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so creative! Great idea to make good use of left over lumber and they turned out great. I also have lots of great ideas that occasionally take a very long time to actually get done, like painting pavers and a trellis. They've been on the list for months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea to use the left over 4x4's. They for sure won't blow away.
    I brought some flooring pieces back from N.C. after the porch was built & Young'un took them made platforms with wheels for hugh pots. They have been here for 10+ yrs. If I need to move the pots I just wheel them around.
    Now I have another project to do using left over 4x4's from an old clothes line. Wish me luck. It will hold my potted plants.
    Hey Skeeter. Hope all have a wonderful evening.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow--y'all are sooo talented! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy cow, what a big project! The planters turned out great. How clever to have wheels on the bottom so you can move them when needed. I'm very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Catherine, One day at a time is my mantra. You'll get them done soon!

    Lola, Great idea on the rolling pot holders! We all need some of those. Good luck with the new hanging pot project. I know it will be perfect!

    Linda, Thanks!

    VW, Thanks! The wheels work wonderfully but do not rotate:( It is okay I'll just roll it straight and lean into the turn like sledding. Hubby says rotating ones would be better but I think it is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The wheels are genius! I really like the fact that you made these yourself. It doesn't matter how long it took. Go, Rosie! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love those planters Tina!!!
    And, the Clarksville Greenways park is off of Peachers Mill Road down thru a bunch of houses at a dead end. It is very easy to find! There are actually two trails/paths to choose from. We chose the 2.6 one out and then come back 2.6. I think the other one is a short route =also go out and walk back the same. No worries of getting lost. The slopes on the 2.6 are pretty steep -the running stroller was almost going by itself, lol. Parking was a HUGE problem -the lot is very small but we parked alongside the road. It is beautiful -but crowded both times I went. I'll stick to my neighborhood but make an occasional trip there for something different. Ooops, long winded of me:) Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice job with the planters. I love to build stuff from scraps a little ingenuity goes a long way. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The wheels are the icing on this beautiful cake! I am glad it took you a while to figure out this project as it is perfect. Some times waiting is worth it girl.....'

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!