Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Vegetable Garden Update-October 2010

From In the Garden
October is a funny month in the garden. I still have tons of warm weather crops growing (tomatoes, gourds, and peppers) yet I also have lots of cool weather crops growing as well. Quite a contradictory month indeed. Let us start with the bushel gourds. These gourds just keep on going like the Energizer bunny. Nothing fazes them. In fact, there are several new small gourds growing. I am most sure these will not have a chance to get large enough to be successfully dried. I have begun pinching out the tips of the vines and some of the new gourds in order to put more energy into growing and ripening the existing gourds so I guess I hope the vines stop producing at this point in the season.

From In the Garden
Speaking of existing gourds here are five gourds just hanging around. Can you see all five? The three darker green colored gourds must each weigh at least 10 pounds. How the vine is strong enough to support each of these gourds I'll never know, but believe it or not all of the gourds just hang there with no help from me. The other two gourds pictured are smaller and a much lighter green in color. You might find them now?

From In the Garden
Now I show you the cool season crops I have planted in the garden. Cool season crops will not do well in our hot summers so spring and fall are the perfect times to plant them. The trick is to get the right planting dates for both seasons. I am never very good at this part. I planted a whole package of 'Alaska' peas. While these peas should be ready to pick in just two months I am afraid I waited much too late to plant them. These were planted on 5 October and they really should've been planted on or about 15 August. I first soaked the peas in plain water for a day and a half and then planted them. They were quite quick to pop out of the ground. I hope they have a chance to ripen before a killing freeze comes in and takes them away.

From In the Garden
Garlic is all planted and up and growing in the garden. This is a most rewarding crop and killing freezes will not permanently kill the garlic. This garlic will be ready for harvesting next May or June. I love fresh picked garlic! Onions also grow in my vegetable garden. The garlic leaves and onion leaves are very different. Here the garlic leaves stand up straight and are much slimmer. The onion leaves flop everywhere and are much rounder and fatter in size.

In thFrom In the Garden
In this circular bed I have planted Savoy cabbage and broccoli. Both are doing wonderfully and I would expect that by the November Vegetable Garden update I'll be picking both crops to eat. Lettuce and onions round out my winter crops growing in the garden.

It will be soon be time to pull all of the tomato plants and other summer crops if you haven't already. If you still have green tomatoes growing on your tomato plants be sure to pick them all and place them in a double paper bag in an area that is cool but that does not freeze. You'll be eating tomatoes from your garden all the way up to January if you have the right conditions. Once your summer vegetables are pulled and composted or disposed of properly you might want to spread a layer of compost or perhaps plant a cover crop. I have never planted a cover crop in my vegetable garden but am considering planting one this year due to the nitrogen fixing benefits of some cover crops. Also, green looks good in the garden in the winter. Normally all of my beds are filled year round but this year it looks as though two beds will free for a cover crop if I get around to putting one in. Compost is a must though and as long as I have time I make sure to add it to the beds. If you don't get your compost in this fall you can always add it once spring arrives.

A tip for you, mark your beds now for next year so that when spring comes you are ready to plant right away. Sometimes we forget what we grew where the year before or even the month before. I know I do that is why I prefer to mark the beds as soon as I remove the current year's crop.

Any other tips you all can think of to make putting your vegetable garden to bed for the winter....

in the garden....

I saw Skeeter and her mother for lunch last week. Both are doing well and Skeeter asked me to let you all know she misses you and is fine. Her parents are back in their home but they are still busy going through things and getting settled in.


Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team,

In the Garden

20 comments:

  1. I didn’t know that gourds could be furry. It looks like quince. Amazingly we haven’t had a frost yet in Maine, but it’s close. Good to hear that Skeeter and her mother are well. Am I the first? Early bird gets the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can ya believe I still have carrots and green peppers?
    Nice to hear how Skeeter and her parents are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina,

    Good to hear Skeeter is doing good! I doubt the peas will ever make it before winter, but you know the greens are yummy too! We have gourds too, about the size of yours but with a small neck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I didn't know either until I saw the photo. Most of the time I leave the gourds alone until they get big and by then there is usually no fur. It is cute though. Amazing on no frost in your neck of the woods! It is really late for Maine.

    Dawn, Awesome! Keep them coming as long as Maine will let you. It must be nice for you guys to have a longer period with no frost!

    Randy, I know on the peas. I am bummed and should've got them in sooner. Not sure what I was thinking. Great on the gourds in your garden! They will be fabulous for winter projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden looks great. I planted my fall garden a little late. I am not sure how it is going to fair. Only time will tell! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tina, you are the queen of gourds! It is amazing how those heavy gourds manage to hang from the vine without breaking it. Your cabbage and broccoli look really good, too. I planted a few late vegetables for the first time, but with the lack of rain, I didn't have much luck other than a few leaves of spinach. I would say my vegetable garden is done for the year, but I actually picked a few green peppers yesterday; must be the latest I've ever had those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All your stuff looks good. I still have tomatoes, cabbage, 1 more row of onions, a row and half of green beans, lettuce and carrots. I do need to finish up with getting the tomatoes so I can clean that part up and get it put to bed. Also need to get the rest of the squash and 1 more pumpkin. My okra did sooooo good and it is still out there but looks very sad. I have been most excited over the okra. People say it does not do well in Maine but mine did great and oh my it sure did taste REAL GOOD. I love the flowers from it also. I just love pushing the limit, so much fun when it works well. We did have a good warm and dry summer so another year it may not work but it will be in my garden in case!!!

    So glad Skeeter's parents are in the house. I am sure there will still be a lot to do but not as hard with them where they belong. When all is said and done, they then can really enjoy their "new home"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness you've been busy posting Tina (I forget to check as often because I thought you were cutting back!) Always good info too. Your planters are great. I wish I was as handy as you.
    Now that I had a little luck with my veggie garden, I should branch out and try some cool weather crops. I know I waited too late this year but next year...
    Your garden is amazingly productive! My neighbor just shared a few gourds with me (that were volunteers in her yard). It's the first time I've had some for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting as always Tina. Methinks our growing season here on the edge of the tundra is too short to try the fall crop bit. We had our first frost ten days ago. Oh well....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carla, At least you planted it-that is the best part.

    Rose, Green peppers in October is awesome!

    Mom, You never know you might have another hot and dry summer and that okra will surely grow. I'm so glad you tried it and enjoy it. Next year add cotton to the list now. It has an awesome flower and if okra will grow then cotton will too. I'll try to get you some seeds from a friend.

    Kathleen, As far as bloggers go you and I go back a l-o-n-g time so you don't worry about checking in. Visit when you can. I will be taking a break a soon and probably will be posting only on Wednesdays. This is the last week for a while for me. We'll see how I feel after a bit about blogging. Next year you must put it on your list to put in a few lovely fall veggies that might enhance your ornamentals and even give you some good food. Think August for a timeframe and it sure comes fast.

    Troutbirder, You too would have to probably start fall crops in August or you perhaps can grow them throughout the summer? In Maine it is like this for peas and lettuce and onions and such. Can't imagine living along the prairie though we did have the pleasure of visiting a friend in Iowa a few years ago. Quite different from the southeast but nice in its own way with the great soil there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must be wonderful to grow vegetables so late into the season. Someday, I hope to have a cold frame to extend the growing season here and enjoy the benefits of a winter crop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your garden is most productive as it's getting late in the season. But very enjoyable for sure.
    I plan to try again for a Fall garden tomorrow. The first planting never came up except radishes.
    So glad Skeeter's parents are in their "new" home. Glad she is doing ok.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your gourds! I could have done with a support system like that for my butternut squash this year, they are a bad thing to grow in pots, they take over!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your gourds look marvelous! I just discovered that my kohlrabi was munched by a deer last night because I forgot to cover it. All that work of picking off worms , gone to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tina when can you expect your first frost? How long does winter last?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice to see everything you have growing. I sowed some carrots and radishes July 4 and they're ready now. I'm not usually good at getting the dates right, either.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your vegetable garden is still very impressive. I need to pull the zucchini plants out, they are the only thing that produced this year. I wish I would remember to plant peas for the fall, I bet they would do well here too. The garlic would be great and Sweet Pea just put some scraps of wood together and it looks just like what you have yours in. That would be a great use for her "creation".

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're way ahead of me. I never got around to planting a fall crop. It was just too hot in August to think about it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Tina, so glad to hear Skeeter and family are doing well. It's been busy with all the things the kiddos do -cross country ends soon. Then, we'll have a little more free time on the weekends. I hope everyone is doing well. Our walnut tree is blessing us with tons of walnuts this year. Sidekick has a "job" that keeps him very busy after school, lol. Night everyone! Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Tina, those are great tips - I didn't know about double paper bags for green tomatoes, and marking the garden now for planting in the spring is a great idea. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that forgets what was where by the time spring rolls around.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!