Wednesday, January 19, 2011

2010 In Review

From In the Garden
I don't know why I haven't done one of these "Year in Review" posts before but from now on these posts are a must. I find as time goes by I forget things, big and small, that have happened to me. The blog is a wonderful source for remembering so I thought I'd wrap up the year 2010 in one post relating special big and small events that have happened in my life.


We begin in January with the installation of new Bellawood 3/4" teak floors on January 16th. I can easily remember this arduous task because this time last year we had no carpets and were walking on OSB in the living room and hallways. I was also busy removing all of the kickboards and painting them a clear white. This was no easy task as we have no less than four closets; which had kickboards, and several feet of hallway with several doors and corners, as well as the living room. The process of preparing for the new floors to completion was about two and one half months. I was ever so happy to have that big job finished! We love the new floors and all of the work was well worth it. 

On the day the installers came to lay the floors we found out my husband was not deploying to Afghanistan and that his future in the Army was not certain. January 16th was a bittersweet day indeed but happily all issues have been worked out.


I must mention Bellawood and put in a plug for them. With between 3-5 large dogs the new floor has not scratched at all and is very easy to maintain. But, I found out the hard way, if you drag an 800 pound piano across the floor it will crease and leave quite an indentation. That is another story entirely and I try to forget about that story. Nonetheless, Bellawood is a great flooring; no wonder Bob Vila recommends it and so do I.




From In the Garden
February was a slow month though I did get to attend the Tennessee Master Gardener Winter School in Murfreesboro. I have not done a lot of 'business' travel since I retired from the Army so I was tickled to get away on a gardening trip with my friend Julie (center of the above picture). Terri also attended from our county and we all had a great time learning from master gardeners. I am the short one on the right. I sure wish I was a bit taller. Sigh. Murfreesboro is again hosting the winter school this year and I think they are a great county to do it because they were so welcoming and facilities were fantastic.


From In the Garden


My grandson and daughter in law visited Tennessee in March. We so enjoyed seeing Josh because we had not seen him in quite some time. Grand kids grow so fast!


From In the Garden


A very big happening in my family was the wedding of my daughter in April. Most of my immediate family traveled from Maine for Liz's wedding. It was simply splendid having the whole family together and the wedding the most beautifully done wedding I've ever attended. 


While some of the family was here the big floods came and wreaked havoc on Tennessee. I'm sure it was a trip to remember for all, while most Tennesseans wish to forget those floods they did not harm my home or garden. Thank goodness as it was a big mess.
From In the Garden
While my parents were visiting the team here at In the Garden had big plans to get together and finally meet. This blog started as a community blog and we quickly gained a community feel. So much that many of us began talking and relating in a big way on this blog. The original group still reads but as the blog has grown we don't talk as much. I sure do have warm feelings for this group and can't thank Anonymous, Nina, and Skeeter enough for coming to visit my home while my mother was here. (Skeeter also posted about this visit here.) I think I can speak for my mother that meeting you all was a highlight of her year. We were all sad Lola and Dawn (my sister) could not be here for the visit but perhaps next time. After my parents left Tennessee they traveled to Florida to visit another one of my sisters and were able to stop by and meet Lola. For the most part all of the original seven members of this blog have met each other with just a few exceptions. A big feat considering we all live from Maine to Tennessee to Georgia to Florida! The memories of our visit will last forever. Dawn is one of the exceptions since she lives so far away and rarely travels. Dawn has also been ill so if you all get the chance go by and visit her at her blog and wish her a speedy recovery. I'm sure it will cheer her up immensely. 


From In the Garden
May saw the garden really take off. The spring of 2010 was the best ever for Tiger Gardens. The summer was not so great though. Even with the floods in May we experienced a drought that lasted for a very long time. Many plants died and I endeavored to change my way of thinking in managing my gardens. High water bills and hydrangeas had to go, in came drought tolerant plants and a completely new way of thinking. We shall see how it goes this year.
From In the Garden



It was a fabulous trip and seeing everyone was a very special treat. Mr. Fix-it even was able to hook up with high school friends whom he had not seen in about 17 or 18 years. I enjoyed listening to them describe my husband and his antics as a high school hot rod. It's a miracle he is still around but he is, and the love of my life.
From In the Garden
August brought in the swallowtails. I hear this year was a banner year for swallowtails and it was so very special to see them all flock to the garden. I had never seen so many butterflies in one spot and hope the swallowtails return this year and even bring a few friends.
From In the Garden
August and September saw me house hunting for one of my daughters (Christy). Christine was due to come home from Iraq in September so in order to get the process started I was given the honor of finding her just the right home. This was quite an experience for me. You'd think that with so many houses foreclosed on and the mortgage industry struggling that it would be simple to get a mortgage but not so. While Christine was preapproved for a loan the bank had so many requirements for the house that I became very frustrated about the whole situation. In this case this house was a foreclosed house so the bank was the seller. Ever try working out a 'deal' with a bank? Add to the situation an agent who was starstruck because 'they' (the bankers) were very important people and couldn't be bothered by small details. Huh? It makes me shake my head each time I think about the situation. If you ever buy a foreclosed house be prepared for a lot of red tape with the bank. Fortunately all worked out and Christine is most happy in her new home. She's already started gardening too! This house has some nice shrubbery and a good start with some beautiful plants around the foundation. A real treat for her and for me.
From In the Garden
Not much of note happened in October and November so I'll skip straight to Christmas and the holiday season. The Jimster is an avid musician and plays the guitar, piano, and is now learning the violin-all on his own. He takes singing lessons and hopes for a career in the music industry (any music contacts out there?) His school offers a guitar class which he loves. The school music teacher puts on a community Christmas concert each year and we all attended. The concert was wonderful and we were all so proud of the Jimster as he performed on stage. This was not his first performance however; you can find a post on his first performance here.

From In the Garden

Christmas arrives and finds the Ramsey family home in Tennessee enjoying some down time and together time. Two of the four children were able to be around at Christmas and we really enjoyed that. Christine had duty but was able to leave to come to dinner at our home. Brian (the oldest son) and Liz (daughter) were unable to visit.
From In the Garden
I traveled to Louisville to see my daughter Liz in early December for a Christmas Tea at her church. Liz plays the handbells and I must say this was the first time I had seen a handbell performance. It was amazing. We had a good visit and when we woke up the next morning the ground was covered in white! It was the first snowfall of the season for me but quite startling being away from home and having to travel in it to get back to Tennessee. Since then we've had our fair share of snow here in Tennessee and tons more in Kentucky. 

From In the Garden
I'll close the year with another family holiday photo. We were delighted to see our grandson and daughter in law in early January. Liz came down from Louisville for a visit and we all had a wonderful dinner at Christine's new house.
I look forward to 2011 being another wonderful year. After doing this post though I've learned I need to post on my year end post as things happen and not all at once at the end of the year. But for sure these posts will part of this blog from now on....

in the garden....
 


Words and photos property of the In the Garden team

23 comments:

  1. A great review post. It is good to look at all that has been accomplished and note it. You had a lot of nice family gatherings even with the miles between several of you. I hope your 2011 is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning GSS! Loved your post this morning and you know I don't mind those long posts at all:) We were very lucky this past year to have quite a few family gatherings. It was so awesome! I hope to get to Maine this year for a visit of our own which will make 2011 very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tina,
    I rode with Larry to work because we could get a few inches of snow, and it will probably be snowing when I get off. He works half an hour earlier and stays half an hour later than I do. I probably would have been fine driving, but my car has 4 wheel drive, and his truck doesn't.

    Anyway, I enjoyed your year in review. It was fun seeing photos inside yours and your daughter's homes as well as you and your family. I knew which one was you right away. I love your floor!

    I hope 2011 is a great year to review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you've had a busy year. I can relate to a good bit of it. Your family sounds delightful. I also have a budding musician and am looking for music business contacts. If I find any, I'll let you know. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful year for you. I know all the family gatherings are the best. Good idea about adding to the year end post as it happens...I think about doing that for Christmas cards as well...where does the time go?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always great to go back and look at everything in a review! So much happens in 365 days. It looks like you had a great 2010, I hope 2011 is even better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Sue, I don't often show pictures of the inside of my home but I love it almost as much as my garden-mainly because I can see the garden and the two mesh well. You be safe in the snow!

    Carla, And ditto to you! I actually found a twitterer who is in the music industry and emailed him. He actually emailed me back and said to social network and get in with other like bands. If you like email me and I'll forward his message to you. Passed it on to my teen but as a 16 year old his mind is all over the place right now.

    Janet, When I look back it seems the family events have the greatest prominence for sure. I hope this year is even better. The time passes MUCH too quickly for sure.

    Dave, It has been wonderful looking back. I must keep up on these posts this year as it was really great reliving the main things. I didn't post on it but visiting you and the plant swap was also a very big event last year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you did this, Tina! I wrote my own review more for myself than anyone else, because it was a good way to remember what all had happened in the past year. I was surprised to find that I had accomplished more than I had realized. I agree, though, than noting things as the year goes along would be easier.

    I think this is the first time I've seen your grandson--what a sweetie! Looks like you had lots of special time with your family, which means it was a very good year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rose, You hit the nail on the head! This blog has been mostly about gardening and I enjoy that so much but it also has to be about the blogger and how it can serve me with other parts of my life besides gardening. This is an awesome 'scrapbook' of the year and while most people might not be interested in what I do-I am~! Hence this post and I know you totally understand and agree. Your posts and some others out there have made me consider the Year in Review and when I look back this is mainly what comes to mind. Keeping up with it as time goes along will be better though. Thanks for reading it all! I know it was long but I'm obviously not known for short posts-try as I might. Have a good day! I'm off now....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome review and pictures!!!! However, I might be a tad prejudice. LOL :) You were right last week when you said I would like this weeks post. It will be hard to top this past year. A whole lot of good stuff went on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tina, such a wealth of good memories, what a year you had, what with the wedding and everything. Thank you for sharing your life as well as your garden with us. And thank you for being so encouraging to this new garden blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello everyone! I enjoyed your year in review post. It is a great scrap book indeed. I love that picture of us in your garden, I only wish Dawn and Lola had been there, sigh. Would be so nice for us ALL to get together at one sitting. Wow, can you imagine the laughs we would have?

    It was an ugly year for me after the May Floods but I survived it and will move forward.
    I will update on this in a post at some point but in the middle of a new project right now so that will get a shout out instead.. .

    Going to be sunny and warm here today so I must get out in it while its here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice living room – the floors really make it! It looks like a good year with plenty to celebrate. And of course your garden is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's alot to be thankful for this past year. Here's to an even better 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You had a busy year and a lot of family visiting! Bankers... I don't trust most of that lot. Real estate agents either. I hope that doesn't offend anyone, but it's from my experience (and everything in the papers over the last few years). I'm glad your daughter was able to get a house that she likes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you like it Mom! I enjoyed doing it but need to keep up this year. So far a slow year, a good thing!

    Janet, You have fabulous pictures and I enjoy a bit of your life too-especially the bread! Sorry I don't get around all the time but I've cut back on blogging a bit.

    Skeeter, I know last year was such a bad year for you and your parents. 2011 will be SO much better! Enjoy that sun. Expecting 2" of snow tomorrow here. Urgh.

    Sarah, Why thank you on the floors. Wood rocks! I thought it would be cold in the winter but it is not! So easy to maintain too.

    Darla, Cheers-yes indeed!

    Sweetbay, Don't worry about offending anyone. I personally adore honesty! As you can see I usually don't hold back. I don't have any issues with bankers but geez, the realtor though they were like sacred or something. Cannot for the life of me figure out why? Maybe all that money they handle or whatever? I don't know. Walking in a bank is something I do about every 10 years if that! I much prefer credit unions. It is great Christine is settled in now and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Tina,

    A good looking crew! I wish you another great and happy year.
    I really love your teakwood floors, they are GORGEOUS!!!

    Totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, Tina ~ what a year and post! (it would have taken me forever to write that!) It all sounds terrific even considering the banking frustrations. I LOVE your wood floors. I had some hand scraped teak installed a couple years ago in my kitchen and I love it as well. Such a beautiful wood.
    I hope the weather is a little more moderate for all of us this year but I'm not sure it's starting out that way. I am slowly changing the way I garden because of the erratic patterns too.
    Glad you could see your family so much in 2010 ~ that's always a blessing. I hope you have a great 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a very good accomplishment for a year! and we are so glad to meet your family and blogging friends. I specifically am happy to see also Skeeter in a photo with you. May this year be also productive for us all. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It was fun to read about your year in review. I remember reading about most of those events. I hope 2011 is a great year for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great year Tina. It is nice to see a picture of you. Hello :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Tina, I loved this post! It was great to see all your family and hear about all the fantastic things you've been up to. I miss chatting with you gals but I still like to catch a blog when my little bundle allows. This snow today is something -not so much the snow as the ice underneath. We've been out sledding and walking -we get stir crazy being inside. A big shout out to Jean, Lola, Nina and Skeeter -can't wait to hear about your gardens soon! Spring will be upon us soon:0) Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  23. sounds like quite an eventful year Tina, filled with lots of memorable family times. Your grandson is adorable, the wedding photo is beautiful. You must be so proud of your wonderful family!

    Best wishes to Dawn for a complete recovery 2011.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!