Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Little Surprise is Found in the Oddest of Places-Or Not


DSCN5754
Not all surprises are nice-and finding a mouse is not such a great surprise but how could you not love this cute little face peeking out of junk we found on our new property to be?
DSCN5752
Yup, you heard it right. Mr. Fix-it and I are taking the leap and making our dreams come true. We had been mulling the idea of buying some land for quite some time without really acting on it. Last fall, when my daughter Christine and her husband were looking for land I really got the bug to buy some land. The idea has been shelved and taken down numerous times over the last few years. How could I possibly leave my home of twelve years and my garden I've spent what seems like a lifetime in? I couldn't even envision it, plus we could not find the right spot for our future so buying land was simply a dream.

Then, a few weeks ago while I was browsing the 'land for sale' ads I found a nice piece of land not too far from us that I thought might be interesting. Mr. Fix-it and I took a ride over to the site and toured the property. We loved the property but did not make an offer. Another property came up that we liked a lot and we made an offer. That offer was rejected and countered; which we declined. In the middle of this process a new listing came on the market for more than double the land we were initially looking for. Having nothing to lose we ventured to look at the property I shall call 'Red Top'. It was a very cold day and I had barely gotten out of the truck when I hurriedly hustled back into the truck to stay warm. This left Mr. Fix-it to wander around. 

We were getting a bit discouraged by this point and I had given up, content to stay in my current home. Mr. Fix-it pushed on then excitedly came into the truck and said, "This is it." I did not take him seriously then he said, "THIS IS IT" not so much yelling (Mr. Fix-it never yells) but with conviction. Having been married to Mr. Fix-it for nearly twenty years I know him pretty well. The second time he said "This is it" really got my attention.
DSCN5750

You see, our new property totals over 59 acres but seemed like it was all wooded on our first visit. Not encouraging when you plan to build a house as I do not enjoy walking thru woods and bramble. The property was misleading though. Had I ventured further onto the land I would have seen that after walking over 200 feet through woods, past a pond area and lots of trash; I would have seen that the property opened up to an incredible field atop a hill-only slightly sloping. It is an ideal place for us to build a house. We have been wanting privacy and distance from neighbors. No one will even be able to see our new home from any road and since we are building in the middle of a 42 acre parcel (total land is over 59 acres) we do not have to worry about any neighbors either. Can you say heaven? We are very excited! 


Back to the little surprise. While walking along and initially looking at the property Mr. Fix-it spotted a GMC hood lying on the ground. Mr. Fix-it is an auto nut as much as I am a garden nut. He loves, loves, loves GMCs. Like I said there is a lot of trash on the land, though not as much as what we found on other plots of land, and a hood seemed to fit right in. That hood was quickly noted and began to bother Mr. Fix-it so much that he made it his mission to upend the hood the next time we visited the land. He just had to see what was underneath. He pictured all sorts of things like snakes and other unspeakable things such as dead bodies. I thought he was really silly and I was right. When he warily lifted the hood off the ground rodents began running. One little mouse did not get away. It was tucked away inside of the hood and obliged me just for a sec by posing for its picture. It is rather cute in a rodent like way don't you think?

in the garden....


Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

16 comments:

  1. I am envious here. A big piece of land in the country is one of my dreams, unfortunately my city-girl wife does not share it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you were able to get this picture! How cute is this little guy. At first I thought he might be in my can (LOL). I can't wait for you to bush-hog. It will look so different and I think you'll really be able to picture where everything will go. So happy for you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finding your piece of heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! We had that dream too although we only bought 10 acres but my husband would love to have more. Just think of all the gardening you can do:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cute picture. Congrats on the purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Saint and I both are sooooooo excited for you two! Will be such fun to watch you turn this land into a second "Tiger Gardens" And this time, from "Paper Design" to "In the Ground" What fun... This next few years will be such an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I forgot to mention the mouse.... Darn you girl for making him look so cute! Now I will be thinking of that pic when seeing Voles in the garden. How could I hate one?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!!! I would have loved that place forty years ago. Cute little Peek a-Boo mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your land! And that mouse picture is so cute (looks like the kind of pic that goes viral on Facebook!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like paradise! You will plant another gorgeous garden, heck you could do a botanical garden, a nursery or a farm on that scale. Congratulations! I'm not too fond of mice in the house but it's cute in the junk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh. You are truly going to have property. Sounds like your own little world. Not just a lot with neighbors. So much to dream of and plan. The mouse is very cute by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting and quite the adventure...the mouse is cute as long as they stay outside!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's wonderful news Tina. You have so much to look forward to ... privacy, new gardens, a shared dream, and much more. Maybe your little mouse will stick around while you're building your house! I'm sure the truck hood was a good refuge from predators.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats to you all. I do envy tho. Being away from prying eyes would be heaven. I do love the country.
    Cute little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tina, I am absolutely speechless with excitement for you. 59 acres is amazing, incredible, wonderful.... I am also jealous not only that you will have this huge property away from any neighbors---if only I could have that my life would be so improved---but that you are courageous enough to start a new house and garden. I can't wait to make the journey with you on your blog. Talk about material for blog posts, you'll never run out. Congratulations, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow what a great piece of land. Cute mouse picture! Will enjoy hearing about your building process...what an adventure!!

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!