Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Phinizy Swamp

BY SKEETER
Geocaching adventures recently took The Saint and I to nearby Phinizy Swamp. I thought that I had talked about this wonderful place at some point but could not find any links here on this blog.  
 I cannot believe I have never talked about this place with you as it is a nature lovers paradise here in GEORGIA! Maybe I have mentioned this place before but the memory is lacking these days.
 Each time we visit the Swamp, we find interesting things such as these old Snake Eggs.
 Our walk took us by an old cemetery we never knew about until this day. The bricks of the wall were crumbling from time and I was happy to see a fence erected for preservation of this sacred ground. It could use some TLC in the weed department though.
 We spotted this small skull. Any guesses on what critter? Raccoon maybe, an Opossum?
 Blossoms were blooming on this beautiful sunny day in January.
 Spanish Moss drapes on the trees within the swamp.
 The Swamp is alive with life such as Egret.
And Turtles.
  With some green colors as well.
 Love this bright green in the swamp.
 Spanish Moss was blowing with a light breeze making the trees seem to dance.
 One can observe the swamp from above while strolling along a boardwalk.
 This Swamp is an overflow from the Savannah River. The nearby Water Treatment Plant of Augusta has holding ponds in the area. The Swamp and ponds act as a natural filtering system. We spotted a rather large alligator sunning within one of the holding ponds.
 And a second alligator taking a swim!
 Birds were sunning in the holding ponds.
We believe these birds to be Cormorants. Click HERE to learn more about Cormorants. We had a great day and must have walked over 5 miles if not more! This place is a jewel and we love PHINIZY SWAMP, In the Garden...

Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

14 comments:

  1. What a great park. I need to find 'free' parks to visit here.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flowerlady, we are lucky as our area has a lot of wonderful free venues for us to explore...

      Delete
  2. What a lovely stroll. I would love to take it. I'm so glad you took us along with you. These natural parks have a lot to enjoy.
    Good luck with your geocaching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lola, we are hooked on Geocaching! We hit number 86 this past weekend and are already scoping out the next trek. This Swamp is an awesome wonder..

      Delete
  3. I don't remember you talking about it before but so glad you did. Had no idea you have such big alligators in your neck of Georgia! That boardwalk is a wonderful asset to be able to really enjoy the swamp. What a great learning place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, if you ever get to our neck of the woods on a warm day, you will be going on a walk there with us. This places is so full of interesting plants as well as wildlife...

      Delete
  4. This look like a wonderful place to hike. You're not only having fun, but getting some exercise as well! Gotta love that! I hope those alligators are far away from the path/boardwalk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christy, no worries on the gators, they are just as timid of us as we are of them. We show respect and they in return ignore us. Just the way it should be in nature. Yes, geocaching has gotten us to exercising when we normally would be couch potatoes during winter...

      Delete
  5. Loved your beautiful nature walk through the swamp I felt like I was there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherry, since you were at Gordon, I wonder if you have ever been to Phinizy before? Not that far from Post and an awesome place to stroll about...

      Delete
  6. Now this is my kind of place from the name to the bones, cemetery and critters...just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I first read the title of this post as "Fizzy Shrimp". I really need to get some glasses. Even though it was not about food, I enjoyed the post, how could I not? It had moss draped trees, alligators and one of my favorite water birds, the cormorant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed my virtual tour particularly the alligator. I hope you weren't as close as it looked, those things are fast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You all have found some really interesting places to hike/walk. Alligators!!!! yikes.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!