Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Some Concrete Leaf Castings Using Banana and Other Leaves

From In the Garden

Soon the banana 'trees' will be gone due to the impending hard freezes we are sure to get as we draw closer to winter. The tropical look of the awesome bananas will be but a memory, so in an effort to enjoy the banana leaves in the garden all year round I made some banana leaf concrete castings. This is a craft I had planned to do last year but like all crafts and good intentions time got in the way and by the time I got around to making some castings I realized all the banana leaves were in the compost bin:( I promised myself it would not happen again this year so let's look at what I did. This is my first attempt at making any leaf castings and I must say I was very worried I would not be successful so I was most meticulous in preparing for the casting and choosing my steps carefully. Steps one saw me carefully choosing my banana leaf. Most of the large banana leaves are beyond my reach and are about 5 feet long. The few that are low enough I can reach are new leaves and they are a bit smaller. I chose a leaf that is about 2 1/2-3 feet long. The small size was key because I was afraid the great weight of the concrete would break the casting. I placed the leaf face down on a mounded pile of sand. I then placed Saran wrap over the leaf and sprayed the Saran wrap with non-stick spray. I am now ready for my next step.
I had some leftover hardware cloth from another project so I made use of it for this project. I used tin snips to cut a metal form that was about 2" smaller than the banana leaf. This mesh will be inserted into the center of the concrete when I am piling on the concrete. This is a key step in my opinion as it gives the concrete stability (just a wee bit). You can see the hardware cloth above. This was the most painful part of the whole process because raw edges of metal can be mighty sharp. It took a bit of cutting to get it right and was not fun.
I mixed my preferred concrete mix in another wheelbarrow. I used one part of Portland cement (no sand/rock mix please-only cement) with three parts of fine sand. I added a bit of concrete reinforcer to the mixture then added some water. I mixed enough of the concrete mix that I thought would be adequate for a banana leaf about 2" thick. I estimated on the amount but came out just fine. I used a cake pan to estimate the amount of concrete mix I would need for my leaf. The cake pan I used was two inches deep and half as long as the leaf, so I planned to double the cake pan in concrete mix. I then added one complete pan full of sand to my wheelbarrow, filled the cake pan up 1/2 way with more sand then topped it off with the Portland cement. An easy way to get the one part cement to three parts sand. When mixing the concrete I added only enough water to make the mixture resemble the consistency of frosting. It must be wet enough to stick together, yet not so wet as to fall in sloppy piles or so dry as to crumble. This is an important part and if you take your time it will be simple. Remember it is always easier to add more water than to take it away.
Now the fun part begins. I began adding the concrete mixture to the leaf trying to keep the concrete in the bounds of the leaf. Initially I added about one inch of concrete covering the entire leaf then I placed the mesh on top of the wet concrete and added more concrete. I was careful to round out the sides and molded a somewhat flat area on the back so the leaf would not rock when it is set in the garden. I covered the whole casting with a plastic garbage bag and waited exactly 2.5 days (about 60 hours). I checked the leaf casting and to my surprise it came up extremely easily and was as solid as could be. I then removed the casting from the plastic wrap and leaf and rested it on the ground to let it cure for a few more days. Be very gentle moving leaves at this point because it is when castings are most fragile. This is also a good time to smooth the edges if you did not get them exactly right when molding them. It is easy to smooth the edges with an old butter knife or putty knife. Do it gently. The new leaf will continue to cure for weeks but after a few days of resting it should be solid enough that you can work with it to decorate it if you so desire.
Here are the two completed banana leaf castings. After so much success with the first single banana leaf casting I made another one using the same leaf as a mold. I also had enough concrete to make up a few castings of brugmansia leaves. Brugmansia leaves are large and have great veining so they work well. Some large leaves like cannas will not work well for leaf castings because they do not have good veining. The two brugmansia leaves joined the two banana leaf castings on my work table in the garage.The last step in the process was painting or staining the leaf castings. For this I used a concrete stain and concrete primer. I first primed the leaves well on both sides then applied a dark blue/green stain to both sides of the castings. I let the stain soak in for a bit then wiped off excess stain with a rag. This process ensured the leaf veins would stand out prominently.

And here are the completed castings. One will grace my garden and the other will be a Christmas gift to one of my daughters. Shhh, don't tell her. The brugmansia leaves will also become Christmas gifts for my family and friends. I have also made some hosta leaves and am having great fun experimenting with leaf castings lately. I must say though that this project is not so easy as some other concrete projects I've taken on. They can be done successfully the first time around but expect some failures too.

The large banana leaves can be used as birdbaths outside because they do hold water. You could also make a butterfly drinking station out of them by adding some mud and gravel. I think this is what I'll do with mine. The smaller brugmansia leaves can be strategically placed around a garden for decorations or hung on fences or even interior walls. They can also be used for bird feeders or anything else you'd like to do with them....

in the garden....

P.S. I've never been a fan of ABC's Extreme Home Edition but I can say I am most excited when they come to town. This is the second time this area has been the subject of the show. The last time was in 2004 in Clarksville, and this time they are remaking a house in my very own town of Woodlawn. What a way to shake up a small town and create excitement! Huge buses, trucks and contractors are all over the place and pass by daily. We hope to be there when they say "Move that bus!" on Friday. I think it will be an experience for Jimmy so he'll be front and center if we can make it. I might even watch the show when it airs too:)

33 comments:

  1. Tina I have always admired these types of garden art but I have never attempted to make them .. makes me want to after reading this ! I think they would makes outstanding gifts for other gardeners too ! .. hey that is exciting about the TV show girl !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Joy, but I thinkk that I will be waiting till spring now, the snow is ready to start anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how impressively fun and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Tina. This is a most impressive post. The castings would be most beneficial in the garden for lots of uses. I really like the banana leaf.
    I think I saw the show when it was there last. They sure do some good work.
    Have a wonderful day all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are beautiful! Are they heavy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are most creative and this is very impressive!!! Move that bus!! Hope you do get to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great great great Tina! The hardware cloth is key, as my own attempts at banana leaves have failed and broken apart, very frustrating! Your explanation and attention to detail is wonderful. They came out beautifully and will be prized by however the lucky recipient is. Makes me want to get out the cement again on these nice days coming up. 75 today!
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tina, that is beautiful! You did such a good job. I have no talent for things like that and am so impressed with people who do. :)
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tina, The banana leaf casting is beautiful! I couldn't tell from the plain concrete, but the stain made the veins pop! Thanks for the great step by step~~Maybe I will attempt this some time! gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning all! Glad you like the leaf castings. They are pretty neat for sure and the consensus seems to be to stain them from all folks who have seen them in person. I'll be busy making more soon but today is a tree cutting and garden day.

    Deborah-welcome!

    Catmint-I'm hoping no drought for you this summer!

    You all have the greatest day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dawn, Forgot to say, the banana leaves are not all that heavy at all. When wet they are most heavy but the longer they dry and cure the lighter they get. They are awkward to move and there in lies the problem with long concrete pieces like this-you must use care but they are not heavy. The smaller leaves are most light. Maybe the weight of two iron ware plates. Not so bad really.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tina, they turned out beautifully. Love the color. That was on my list of projects to do this summer but never got around to it. Wanted to try it with some rhubarb leaves. There's always next year;)
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful play by play post Tina! Great direction for anyone wanting to try this at home! You are so sweet to share your talents with us and yes, the stain does make a big difference. I had no idea all the things you could do with a large banana leaf of concrete! Great ideas!!!

    Move That Bus!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marnie took the words right off of my keyboard, I was going to say the casts turned out beautifully too! I am glad you put down all of the detailed instruction. Such a great way to add accents to the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look great! I was hoping to do some but other projects (greenhouse-shed) are taking precedence. The banana leaves sure look like the perfect casting leaves. The might even make great decorative downspout diverter thingies. Them real name for those things escapes me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great fun Tina! I have seen the casting done with hostas and other large leaves, but not bananas, and not staining them. That really makes them stand out! Big wow factor.
    I don't watch the show either, but if it is in your hometown, it is hard not to.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh they turned out great Tina! I think your idea for a butterfly drinking station is clever too. :) Thanks for sharing another creative project with us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look beautiful, Tina! This is something I'd like to try myself one of these days, and I appreciate your detailed instructions. I was thinking, too, that the banana leaf castings would be perfect for a butterfly feeder.

    How fun to be there when they "move that bus"! I'll be watching the show this weekend--they were here in August for a makeover in Champaign-Urbana.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great garden art you have created! Good job! It was a good use for a big banana leaf and your daughter is going to love it, She's lucky!
    Rosey

    ReplyDelete
  20. VERY VERY cool! i love it! And you could do it with so many different leaves, etc. I love it! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  21. How great is that! Wonderful! A real piece of garden art! Tina, you are a Talent!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have always wanted to try to make therse and the hyper tufa planters - these look like a lot of work, patience and creativity - they look terrific! Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these leaf castings. Your's turned out so nice and will look great in your garden. Thanks for the clear step by step directions. I hope to try this next summer with one of my large hosta leaves.
    It would be fun if you could see the house "unveiling". I don't watch that show too often, but it's pretty amazing to see what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Magnificence job!!!! They are so stunning after staining them. Really makes the veins pop. I could barely see the veins on the banana leaf before the staining.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ok, where do you get this energy ? ha
    I'm taking notes...no, better yet I'll save this link...what a keeper.
    Love what you did !
    Great job !
    Think I'll have to try this next year.
    Darn, you're creative.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Tina, when I first saw your leaves, I thought this would be way to hard for me to attempt. But after reading your very detailed instructions, I think I could do it now. :) Maybe Rose and I will have to try this together.

    They turned out wonderfully. I like the staining as it really does show off the veining. I wonder if you could also put dye in the cememt when mixing?

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a neat idea! You could probably sell tickets to see your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  28. i love these leaf castings...i have a huge one in our veggie garden for the birds to get water.
    i think it is really great that you are making them.
    happy autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Brilliant! You've inspired me to try one. I hope I manage to as well as you have.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for a great summary, and further inspiration. I discovered this concrete leaf casting idea this summer, and hope to try it next summer with my Gunnera leaves. Your leaves turned out beautifully! What a great gift for your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I didn't know you had banana trees in your garden. How cool! The casting is gorgeous. What a fun and original idea. You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks everyone for your kind comments. The castings are not too hard but you do need to be meticulous and let the castings set up a few days. Maybe longer than 2.5 days depending on if it is extra cold or wet. Good luck to all who try it. Do let me know how yours turn out as I don't always get around to all blogs and would love to see others.

    Beckie, Dye in the leaves is perfectly great. I have used concrete dye/stain in some of the leaves I've made though I did not post pictures. While I like the effect my friends who have seen the stained ones vs dyed ones are still more enamoured with the stained ones since the veins show so well.

    You have a great day-I'll be making more leaf castings since I plan to begin selling them at craft fairs soon. Gotta get busy...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow tina. I'm Impressed. It seems like a lot of work, but I love these as bird baths/butterfly watering holes. Nice touch staining the concrete. These are my favorite leaf castings I've seen, love the way you have preserved some banana leaves for the long dormant winter. I always so miss the bananas when they die back.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!