Remember that big yellow Daffodil Bud I showed you on Tuesday? Well look at her shining in my Georgia Garden now! After a day of 77 degrees, she popped open and look, she has some friends that will soon join her...
We finally got that Elm tree cut up and off the ground this past weekend. We were real careful to remove the grapevine which was twisted all around the tree trunk. Here you see the grapevine on the ground just waiting for me to carry out my plan of action.
Do you know where I am going with the grapevine yet?
I love this swing but always thought the frame a bit too plain for my taste. I perked it up with the Tipsy Pots, Wind chime and Hanging Plant but still do not like the look. So into action with some modifications we go. We had a nice breakfast then trip to Lowe's for supplies. We picked out three 10 foot treated 2 x 4 pieces of wood. We carefully measured and cut them into 40 inch pieces and gave each side a 45-degree angle cut.Little did we know we would have to replace the top 4 x 4 with a new piece. So off to Lowe's a second time for a new 4 x 4. Back home and as the Saint was removing the screws, two of them snapped in half, argggg. The screws were not galvanised/zinc so over time, they rusted. We make sure to always use the correct items when doing outside projects. Too bad the previous homeowners did not install the swing frame correctly. So back to Lowe's again for 6 inch Zinc Lag Screws. Keeping up? That makes 3 trips to town for supplies, consisting of 4 pieces of wood and 6 screws!
With new top of frame in place, the Saint went to work installing the 40 inch slats.
Ta-Da! We now have an arbor type swing frame. But wait, there's more...
The Grapevine now comes into play. We twisted and worked for quit some time to get the grapevine on the frame of the swing.
It took some muscle and lots of mosquito bites (that warm day) as we could not swat them off the legs due to holding the vine in place while hammering a nail here and there! But we finally got the grapevine to look as though it were naturally climbing the Frame and Arbor. The vine does not touch the ground as we do not want to encourage pest such as termites.
The Wind chime was relocated and the hanging pot removed. I have seeds of Cypress Vine, Morning Glory and 4 O'clock (Thank you Nina and Tina for those gifts) that I plan to plant at the base of each side. Hopefully, this swing will be full of blooms this summer.
With the smaller left over grapevine, I tried my hand at making a Grapevine Wreath.
I hung it on the side of the Wood Shed/Mower garage.
The wreath was a bit time consuming but very easy to make. I think it will add interest to the wood shed.
Mother Nature knocked down a tree but gave us 2 GRAPEVINE PROJECTS, In the Garden...
Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team,
In the Garden