Wednesday, September 21, 2011

GIGANTIC Crinum Bulbs and A Surprise Visitor

100_3809
Crinum bulbs are a wonderful pest proof rewarding bulb I grow in my garden. Earlier this year I found that I had done a poor job of planting these wonderful bulbs because they were just too spread out amongst my gardens. I decided then and there to consolidate and put all the crinums where I could enjoy them up close. 

This particular bulb had been in its spot about four years and was doing well. Nonetheless I decided I had to move it. Trying to dig it out of its spot was a difficult job due to its size and the fact it had settled in for the long haul. Crinum bulbs resent being disturbed but it just had to be moved. When I finally got this bulb out of its spot I could not believe its size. The ruler does not do it justice so I'll explain how big it is by saying this. Put both of your fists together facing each other in front of you and then you can see the size of this bulb.
100_3810
This is a white crinum that blooms in the June/July time frame for me. I have found crinums to be very reliable and very easy to grow. When I first began growing crinums it was upon a whim. While visiting the Nashville Lawn and Garden show there was a vendor selling these giant bulbs that are related to amaryllis. I thought the idea of growing such huge bulbs was challenging so I bought one. I knew nothing of the growth requirements of crinums but did try to plant the bulbs (in March) in sunny areas. Some of these areas are not well drained and some are well drained. I've found the bulbs don't care either way but they do need room to spread. The area I consolidated the crinums is in the Sunny Perennial Border at the front of the border. I can hardly wait to see them all in bloom next summer. 


Many people are afraid to buy and plant these bulbs in my experience. They can hardly believe an amaryllis would grow and flourish in our Zone 6B area. Not to mention the fact that the size of the bulb scares them away. They sometimes think the larger the bulb the larger the snack for chipmunks and other burrowing critters Not so with these bulbs.  Pests tend to leave them alone. I have no issues with losing these bulbs in my garden and they are reliable bloomers.

When you order crinums online they can be quite pricey ranging from $10-$20 per bulb. That is much too much for me to spend. At the Nashville Lawn and Garden Show the vendor sells them for about $3-$5 per bulb and I will personally vouch for the quality of these bulbs. I am not sure of the vendor's name but I will say that every year I've been going to the show the vendor has been there as well. So, if you are local and want a good buy give the huge crinum a try in your garden.
100_3813
I had to share my little frog with you all. Since I've been busy in the garden moving and dividing and digging plants I've gotten quite a bit accomplished. One such thing was to dig several beauty berries for the Montgomery County Master Gardener sale scheduled for October 8th. This particular beauty berry found a home early when I took it to a fellow master gardener. Just as I was about to put it in my car I happened to find this little frog. Do you recognize it? It is not the pickerel frog I posted about two years ago though it looks similar. I believe this is a leopard frog (Rana pipiens). We have two that frequent the bathtub pond. The other one is a seasonal resident of the pond and is quite a large frog. It peacefully lives with my one and only goldfish in the pond. One day I came out by the pond and found this little cutie resting on the spout. It was so funny it really looked like it wanted a spa day. By the time I got my camera it had disappeared only to reappear in this plant pot. I had to shoo it out prior to loading the beauty berry plant. Leopard frogs are the frogs usually used in dissection and their population is on the decline in the United States, though that is controversial. Here in my garden they are doing well....


in the garden....

Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

20 comments:

  1. Tina,

    Never knew the name of these bulbs. Thanks for sharing about growing them. The frog would have been great entrainment in your warm car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Crinums and have at least two. My neigborhood has a lot of old houses and these lilies come up every year, even in yards where the owners don't actively garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow bulb really big. I have never seen a frog in my garden ever since we live in Adelaide. So I worry that my sons won't have some memories with tadpole like I did in my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one big bulb! I bet the squirrels can't dig that one up. Too bad about the missing frog photo - that happens all the time when I try to capture wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to try a crinium one of these days! The other day I had to bring in a wheelbarrow (the kids') and it was raining. I was started by a frog hoping off the side of the house! Sure like to see them around and about! I've seen more frogs this year than ever before in our garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One inch of beautiful rain in Georgia last night and more to come! I am such a happy gardener today....

    Wow, that is some big bulb you have there! I put an Amaryllis bulb in the ground and it returned two years then rotted from too much rain over the winter. These would be fun to give a try in my garden though. $10 a bulb would keep me at bay so the Nashville vendor would be the way to go....

    I had to give a frog a bath yesterday. I was cleaning the front porch and had sprayed bug spray in corners of the ceiling and then found a saturated frog come out of a small decorative birdhouse. I had to catch him and rinse him off. He was one wiggle worm on me but I was a success in the frog bath...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many gardens around here have Crinums-- really lovely blooms. I looked online at a place here in SC that sells them...boy did you get a great deal at the Lawn and Garden Show!!! If I found one for that price I would certainly jump at it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also find frogs in plant pots. Guess they like them but I would think it a strange place for them as there is not much room.

    Skeeter you are so funny and sweet. That was a lucky frog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a bit afraid of the crinium because of its size! Perhaps I should find a (big) spot for them somewhere. Love your little frog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Afternoon all.
    Tina that is one big bulb. I like them. I have 3 colors----white, dk pink & striped [lt pink/white]. I have mine under the eave of the house on SE corner. Morning sun/midday. Sure wish I could dig them up as they need to be separated bad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tina,
    It was 10 years before Meg's night blooming cerius bloomed. First look for the bud to point upward. The afternoon it blooms you'll see the white on the outside. They open about 10pm, be sure not to forget you have one chance. By 6 am it is done...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Tina, I think the frog visitor would have scared me a little! Hope you all are doing well. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that's a bulb. Unfortunately, I'm in Zone 6 so not in my future.
    But I did enjoy your sunny border link and took a pleasant trip around your yard. Very7 nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yeah, also known as the Canon Ball Lily, because of how large the bulbs can get. You are right, they don't give a care where they are planted. The ones out back here that are ALWAYS neglected bloom the best for me. Cute frog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a massive size bulb! Hope it likes the new spot you found for it in the garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a huge bulb! Hope they enjoy their new home in your garden. Your friend would have gotten quite a surprise if you hadn't found the frog before giving her the beautyberry:) Reminds me of the time I had a toad in the back of my van while moving plants around. I couldn't catch him to let him out, but I never did find him again...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you finally got to Disney! It truly is a wonderful place to be a kid again. Thanks for your comment. Enjoyed this post...especially liked the frog, who is safe from allo dissecters in your garden! Take care!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are supposed to be 6B too so I will have to look into this bulb.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is one GIGANTIC bulb Tina! Looks like it was totally happy where you had it planted ~ I hope it does just as good in it's new location. You're going to have a beautiful display ~ I can visualize it already. I've never tried growing them but see them in the bulb catalogs. I'm really not sure what's stopped me?? Hmmmm...

    Adorable frog. He's probably sad to lose "his" pot!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Simply beautifully captured shots...lovely!

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!