Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Praying Mantis Egg Sacks and Ornamental Grasses and a Floating Fish

DSCN1046
It is that time of the year when everything in the garden must be cleaned up in anticipation for spring time flowers and new growth. To say I have been busy is an understatement because this spring came upon me a little too fast and the garden for some crazy reason just keeps growing. And of course that means more work for me. While cutting the some two dozen clumps of Miscanthus sinensis 'Adagio' grasses I found several praying mantis egg cases. Can you see the one above in the picture? This was the second one I found in a clump of the Adagio and I was fairly delighted. The clumps of grasses are not anywhere near one another so I think I am safe to assume the Adagio, and perhaps all miscanthus grasses, might be a good home for praying mantis to lay their eggs. Fortunately I did not damage any of the egg sacks while cutting back the grass clumps. I was, as usual, late in cutting back the Adagio because the grasses have already begun to put on new growth. Can you see the green in the above picture? I think February is much too late to cut these grasses back and perhaps January would be a better month. My vow is to cut all the grasses back in January of next year-but you know about good intentions.
DSCN1048
And simply because I did not want this post to have only one picture I thought I'd show you one of my baby koi. This one was at the surface of the water on a really warm day. It really seemed like it wanted out of the pond for some reason. I took the opportunity to snap some photos of it while it was up close to the surface. The water is so clear and the fish right there that it almost looks as though the fish is floating in air. I also think the baby koi are slowly beginning to change colors. I am now seeing a bit of orange showing up in them....


in the garden....

Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

18 comments:

  1. I've heard of butterfly gardens but not praying mantises ones: how cool! Do post more photos when they hatch. Gorgeous koi image - it looks more like art than reality. It does seem to be floating in air.

    We're due for a big snow storm tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I found egg sacks when I was pruning my shrubbery last fall. It will be interesting to see if they hatch out. I am late getting all my roses pruned. Should have been done a month ago too! Too much to do and so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw floating fish I was worried it meant you had a lost one, but glad to see it's enjoying your big pond. I wish spring would get here, winter has decided to arrive and it's cold and wet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You so scared me with the title of this post! To me, a floating fish means a dead one! Happy day to see your fish is still doing well in their new home.... I will be on the lookout for those sacs now that I know what to look for! I found a lizzard egg soon after you posting one and now I hope to find Mantis eggs too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd never seen a praying mantis' egg. Thanks a lot for that. Beautiful fish, by the way.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool egg sac! I guess I should cut my grasses back, oh dear..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like others I thought "Oh no she lost a fish". He does look like a little color is coming and also looks like he is not even in water as it is so very clear.

    Love the praying mantis eggs. They are such a neat insect and are very good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love finding mantis egg cases. They are really prolific which is good. Your fish is beautiful in that clean water. Fun to see what colors it gets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I left a comment before but it seems that blogger's playing up.

    I'd never seen a mantis' eggs before, so thanks for the introduction. It does have a very odd shape.

    I'm loving your fish! :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, I too thought you had lost one of the baby koi. The water is so clear. Thanks for the pic of the egg. Now I too will know what to look for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, praying mantis eggs! I wouldn't have know what they were had I happened upon them! Great photo of it and the koi! And thanks for your comment on the piggy bank!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our praying mantis egg masses look different that those! Ours are roundish mass but also brown. Do you know how long will these hatch? I see some also in our garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andrea, I have no idea how long before the babies will hatch out. I might put the mass in a box but and check on them as that would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you saw those praying mantis eggs in time. Your pond water is certainly clear - great koi photo!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I know what the sacks look like...how exciting and that baby koi is adorable...nice to see critters about in the garden...mine are still hibernating under snow..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never noticed praying mantis egg sacs around here, but I see so many of the actual critters, so they must be out there. I'd better keep looking!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't cut my grasses back yet. I like the brown winter color. How cool to find a praying mantis egg sack.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The baby koi took an opportunity for a sunbath on a warm day.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!