Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Sagina Platform

BY SKEETER 
Here is a project I started Saturday morning stopping once the sun moved into the area. I finished up yesterday just in time as the sun had moved in on me. The heat is getting to me and the calendar says it is Spring. I dread Summer in my Georgia Gardens with this heat!  
I am getting bad about not snapping "before" pictures these days. I am usually good at that but for some reason, lately I have been forgetting. Saturday, I was able to get all the sod removed and dug a layer of clay out as well. I placed some bricks for a border and laid a pattern in the middle. I was not too happy with the pattern but was only trying to use all of the large bricks I had on hand. I did use two smaller bricks in this pattern. These bricks were a freebie that I posted about last July. I am just now getting around to finding a use for some of the bricks. Click Here to read about my free bricks.  I hope this linking works as it is my first go at it with the new Blogger Format...
Refreshed and ready for day 2 of the Crawlspace platform. I leveled the area, scattered sand and put the brick border into place. Then the middle pattern started to come to mind. It just seem to flow out of my head like putting a jigsaw puzzle together.
Next, I filled in the cracks with sand mixed dirt. The fun part was filling the large holes with Sagina! I have had this Irish Moss for about a month or so. I found 6-packs on sale at half price in the Wal-Mart Garden Center. I picked up 4 of them and had no idea what to do with them until now. I did a bit of research on this moss and found conflicting reviews of sun/shade and water habits. I decided to give it a try in this spot even though it will get the afternoon sun. The AC unit is nearby and the running system will keep this area moist.
To the Left of this new platform is a new planter of Elephant Ears and Blue-eyed Grass. I transplanted the ears from the Semi-Formal Garden as they were staying too dry with our drought conditions plus, they were not getting enough sun due to the ever growing dogwoods shading them. The rocks were freebies I have collected.
To the right of the platform, I have another new planter made this spring of Black Elephant ears and a little Fern tucked into the back right corner. The Ears were planted in this spot last summer and thrived in the AC unit water! I was not sure if this plant would return or not as their was no tag on this bargain purchase. I dug out a small shoot of it just in case and over wintered it inside. As you can see, it is hardy and has returned. The Fern was in a small pot on the front porch all winter long. I picked up a replacement fern this spring and as I was taking out the old dead plant, I noticed a small green sprig in the center of the plant. I went ahead and took out the old and potted the new and decided to stick this little fern into this corner and just look how happy that thing is in this spot! Kind of shaded by the AC Unit but come Summer, it may not be so happy. I will keep my eye on it and see if the growth of the Elephant Ears will keep it shaded enough to remain in this spot or I will move it.
The Saint and I do not like for bushes or trees to be planted beside the house. We do not like the idea of raccoons, squirrels or anything else possibly getting onto our roof from having plants nearby. As things fill in, I hope this will be a nice view to the eyes rather then just a soggy grassy, mossy, weedy area. On the other side of this AC/Heat Unit is the Beach Planter.
I had never heard of Sagina or Blue-eyed Grass before finding these while strolling the Garden Center. Since my purchase, I have seen both on other blogs! I still have to add some dirt to the platform area as it settled a bit after I watered it in. I would also like to come back and add a nicer looking stone to the planters. But that will cost money and for now I am happy with my SAGINA PLATFORM, In the Garden...

Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely area you have made, with bricks plants and rocks. Just wonderful.

    I'm dreading summer too, which is why we're trying to get as much done outdoors as possible while it's still not miserable out.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It already feels like Summer here! The humidity is killing me so I am trying my best to do my yard play during the morning hours and back in by noon. But as we gardeners know, that is impossible at times....

      Delete
  2. It's awesome!! Very functional too which is something I highly value in the garden. I think you planted it all in a good spot with that A/C nearby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I had this area in mind for a brick pad but once seeing the moss, I came up with this plan. I have seen this type moss in driveways before and have been captivated by it. In time we shall know if this works or not. I shall post updated picturs later this summer as things fill in a bit....

      Delete
  3. Get out of here!! This is going to be copied across blogland you know! It was in the 90's yesterday here.....gonna be a scorcher...and if we don't get some rain....sheesh! (I can just here the pins being pushed into pinterest board)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, what a honor of words you have filled my head with today Darla. Tina is not too crazy about Pinterest Board (I know little about it) and this blog is copyscaped so I hope everyone keeps that in mind. But I do not mind sharing my ideas since I am not paid for anything posted on this blog....

      It has been in the 90's the past 3 days here and calling for more of the same the remainder of the week with no rain in sight. I just got the sprinkler out of the shed and hooked it up. Too much for me to drag the hose around so out comes the sprinkler to do the work for me. Geesh, too darn early to be watering and for this humidity. We normally enjoy mild May Temps but not looking so this year. Grrrrrrr....

      Delete
  4. I LOVE your design!! What a beautiful way to fix up a pain in the but space!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherry, this spot has been bugging me for years! But I could not think of anything to put in the area that would not grow too tall beside the house. Plus I wanted something different then your normal foundation bed. I think I have come up with something unique...

      Delete
  5. Way to go Skeeter. I love it. I have volunteer Spider plants on one side of my ac & the other side I had to fashion a small river of sorts for the overflow, I guess that's what it's called. Have to be careful here as the earth moves. I need to have the ac raised out of the soil. Even my shed has gone down & needs to be raised. Grrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lola, I know what you mean about things sinking into the ground. I have raised the stones around the patio 2 times since installing them. That makes putting them into place 3 times! And I see where they are starting to sink a bit more but should be okay for this year....

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great solution to an unusual spot. I like the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern just kind of came to mind. My mom told me that center looks like a cross so I feel blessed with this platform....

      Delete
  8. Your new bed looks like a lovely labyrinth for elves or gnomes! The little door really enhances the effect. This is my favorite time of year for adding something new to the yard. Come summer, I'd rather stay inside and think about the fall veggie garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should turn this area into a elf garden. The Saint is not too crazy about Gnomes but I have been known to sneak a gnome or two into the garden. Hee hee....Too hot here now...

      Delete
  9. I like your crawlspace platform! The light green really pops. I too am dreading the summer heat, which is here already. After all it is the first week of May...

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!