Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Northside Shrub Border


This is my 'Northside Shrub Border' beginning when you come out of our back gate and heading east into the bend to the long part. It is a truly mixed border and is one of the longest gardens in my yard. It is about 100' long and 11' feet wide, not including the bent parts at either end of it. It borders the northside of my property and is somewhat shady because of neighboring trees both to the north and south of it. It is extremely dry to a tulip poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera). If anyone reading this grows these trees, be prepared for a battle in the garden. I do not grow this tree, it is my neighbors, but I might as well as much as it loves my yard. The roots are fibrous and suck ALL moisture from the ground. Then it drops leaves prematurely and is basically an all around problem tree for me, though I do admit it is beautiful in the right spot.

Here is another view of the border looking toward the east. I generally don't like pictures with shadows and light patterns, but this one looks so awesome with the sun coming through and hitting a bit of the mist. This border is about four years old. I hand dug every bit of it. Its original intent was to form a backdrop and privacy screen on this side of the yard. Of course, like all gardeners and their gardens, it evolved into much more. In addition to the numerous shrubs (Variegated Privet, Silverberry, Viburnums, Photinia, Mock Orange, Hydrangea Tardiva, Red Twig Dogwood, Chaste trees, Burning Bush, Blueberries, and a Foster Holly), there are multiple bulbs and perennials, both herbaceous and woody.


I thought the border would never fill in. Here it is above looking toward the west and my backyard. My theory when building this garden was to plant perennials repetitively. I did not have a ton of plants to start with, so I would plant maybe one daylily every ten feet, right next to it would be a small group of coneflowers, shasta daisies and so on. I intended to divide the groups every year until I had a huge display of each perennial at regular intervals. Well, that has happened, but along the way something else has happened. There is no distinct plan and cohesiveness for this garden. It is very full and fairly colorful and the colors even match well, but not in a manner I am happy with.


The last view of the northside shrub border is at the beginning of the bend from the roadside shrub border on the east end of the garden. This part of the garden is most dry and gets some pretty good sun. Yarrow, shasta daises, and daylillies comingle happily. I am trying to fit some more hardy souls in here; which will require much thought and digging.

I can see a garden renovation in the very near future (once we get rain). Almost everything will come out. I will leave the 'Powis Castle' Artemisia as it is a good blender and fairly uniformly placed. The shrubs will stay only because they are too big for me to successfully move, but all perennials are coming out. I intend to have the same plants, though in larger and fewer groups. Control is the word. Ha, this should be fun for me-the perennial collector of all things that grow. Where will I fit it all?

That is the crux of the matter. Reworking this garden is fairly simple, it is finding homes for the outcasts and odd plants that I just can't seem to part with. I can see a long week or two of work here in this garden. Sigh.

My whole point to this post is to try to practice some control in the garden. While I had a general idea of how to fill this bed, it did not work well for me. If I can help one person to keep from making the same mistake of not planning properly, and of not using control and restraint in the garden, it has been worth it all. I am sure next year's garden will be so much better....with maybe a bit more uniformity and control?

in the garden....

28 comments:

  1. Tina, good borders make good neighbors? Too bad about the tulip poplars but looks like your garden is fighting back well.

    I loved the pileated woodpecker on Skeeter's post. We have one who visits our yard back in Maine to peck on the old pines. I've never captured her on film - I'm too in awe of her beauty to move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the border garden! But I like the not structured look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, Good borders AND good fences make the best neighbors. lol
    That pileated woodpecker Skeeter captured is great. I love them too-never see them sitting but flying they are so graceful and big.

    Jillybean, You are too too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It look great to me! Good selection of plants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all about the privacy fence. We have a chain link fence. The gardens look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in awe of how pretty everything looks! And to think, that fence was installed without much garden damage! I see you are busy filling up the fence with goodies also. Great picture with the shadows…

    Sarah, it is tough to pull myself away from the window when I see one of Gods beautiful creatures! But I have my camera nearby and ready at all times…

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the view of the gardens with all the shadows is really nice! How'd the tour go?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I did not talk enough for Jean yesterday so here goes more for today to make up... LOL...

    Saint and I picked some beans and Roma tomatoes! Will have those for dinner tonight...

    Bluebird babies have no sooner left the house and mommy and daddy are building yet another nest! Going to have 3 broods this year!

    Humidity fell to zero late yesterday and I was sitting on the swing by the butterfly garden enjoying the activity and the bunny near me. Then as usual, I had to get up and start working! I clipped off all the dead blooms from the butterfly bushes. Never broke out in a sweat and that was nice!

    Weatherman reported that we have had temps above 90 degrees the past 24 of 25 days! Also the average high for June has been 96 degrees! Arggggg, that is way too hot for June! Calling for 98 today and then rain chances will return tomorrow! We will need the rain too as we are 5 inches behind and that is not counting the "feet" we are behind from the previous years!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are gardeners every happy with their own garden design? Mine is a mess, way over crowded. I should have divided and moved stuff last spring and I didn't--didn't do it this spring either. I have another bed in the making so very soon there will be no excuse for me not to remake some beds.

    I love the photo of the sun's rays highlighting the left side. Very dramatic lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The garden looks just fine to me so I think you make too much work for yourself.

    Sarah the pileated woodpecker is a great bird and I do so enjoy the one that comes to my food. He likes the suet the best and is 10 feet from my computer window.

    Your are funny Skeeter and I do hope you get some rain. As much as we need it I know you are worse of than us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Guys,
    The garden looks fine to me. I put uncontrolled perenials in my bed and may rework it after a while. I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dave, Sarah, Dawn, and Skeeter-Thanks!

    Christine, The tour went great! I am working on some posts. Yup, posts. I will do one for my garden and get the other gardeners take on their tours. I have some hints for others who might be on a tour. It really was not as bad at it would seem at first. Thanks for asking-probably on Friday I might get one of the first posts up about it.

    Roses and Lilacs, I know most gardeners are not happy with their gardens. I am with a few but even then depending on the season and what is going on shows just how happy I am with it. I am glad to hear another gardener's beds are a bit overcrowded and need re working.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually like the different varieties of the border garden. Not being a flower person, I don't mind the cluttered look.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought the garden looked fine. Lots of plants to furnish blooms. If too many plants, air circulation is cut down a lot isn't it? That doesn't seem to work here. It causes disease & death to the plants. Lost my squash to borers. That's why I haven't gotten any squash. I didn't know there was a problem till it was too late. 3 different kind in a barrel. I need to figure out something else.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Tina --thought the garden looked great. I liked the light peeking thru onto the plants. Very nice photo --I think your gardens all look great. I am pleased with my yard at this time --often worry about adding stuff and ruining the look, lol. I will eventually do something different but for now this works and is easy to mow around and that is important to me:) Hi Jean --Lola, Nina, Dawn and Skeeter. I am happy you had some rain --we sure could use some --maybe this weekend we'll get some rain:) Had the kiddos out early today for a bike ride and walk --off to piano and really need to grocery shop. It just isn't alot of fun with 4 people filling the cart with crackers/fruit snacks and cereal, lol. I might head out though:) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooops, forgot to add thanks Tina about the repellent but moving the planter up on the deck helped last night:) Cute fuzzy bunny is probably wondering where his dinner ran off to:) ahahahaha:0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with everyone else! I think your border looks great, but what matters is how you think about it! The thought of digging my sunny border out to work on cohesiveness seems a daunting task! I just add more and hope it 'clashes well'!

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  18. DP-Thanks, unfortunately I am a bit of a clutterbug and collector too. Sigh.

    Lola, Maybe replant some more squash plants? I don't think it is too late. Sorry you lost yours!

    Anonymous, Thanks for the nice compliment! I hope you had a no stress day shopping. It is getting kind of hot. I broke down and turned the A/C back on. Stay cool-literally and figuratively today! Bunny is wondering where his dinner is but it won't take long for him to find it again. Beware!:)

    Gail, You are too sweet too! I have been known to dig entire gardens. Then I redig them again. That takes like all my time! Maybe I'll just wait awhile. What bother me most is when the plants are not tiered. I can never get it right the first time. Sigh. Clashes well is a good term. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Went outside to snap a picture and found the veggie garden wilted! arggg, I had to tote water out at 1:30 being the hottest time of day! I had to shower after that 30 minutes in the yard. Not liking this nasty, steamy, hot, humid, no rain stuff... Makes a gal wanna stay inside in the AC. LOL... I will set up the sprinkler in a few minutes and let her go...

    Tina, I found a strange flower in the garden and think it may be a seed you sent me! I snapped a pic and will send it to you in email. I am excited about the discovery!

    Something weird happening with my Black eyed Susan’s. Some staying green! May have to post on that one some time....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ops forgot to say to Anonymous, I am going to send (email) your kiddos some pictures I snapped of the bunny that likes me.... It is so tame and will let me walk right up to it now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I actually really like the look of your beds, but then i have a preference for a bit wild and jumbled. If you're not happy with it, then the work of moving things around and "finessing" it all will be well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It does help to have a plan. I suffer from diving in and then getting that V8 moment. IF only I had done this or done that but it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Skeeter-Send the pic. The sun is hot on the garden. Maybe it was just because of the sun the garden was wilting?

    Amy, Finessing it is. Just a bit for now since it is dry. It takes so long to get it right. I am glad you are feeling better.

    Eve, Plans are nice but I find in the garden the best laid plans tend to go awry. That is why I work so hard in the garden! Fortunately we can replan and rework them. But it is all good.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So far bee balm is winning the Plant of the Month battle. I am a bit surprised since so many tend to have trouble with it. Still time to vote.

    I have to get to schoolwork and not get caught up here, so I'll talk to you all later. I am a BIG procrastinator and now is the time to finish those two cases and one more quiz. Wish me luck! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Now that's a GARDEN ! I think it's awesome but I can understand your need to redo it. I'm sure you have a vision of what you want (or maybe it's just a vision of what you don't want - LOL)
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Tina --cute fuzzy bunny didn't find the beans yet:) We just got back from Lake Barkley --we went fishing since hubby was off today. It was fun --and we even took a nice boat ride --saw a raccoon, beaver, deer and lots of birds. I will have to check out the pictures Skeeter sent --I can't wait she gets some amazing photos. I did manage to grocery shop --so much easier with daddy along,lol. They don't ask for nearly as much junk:0) We even got a nice swim in today --super hot --you surely need that A/C on Tina if you want to be able to do your school work --too hot --a little rain would be nice. Must chase two big boys to bed --we were all a sight to see after we got off the lake --bugs in our hair, on our faces --and girl model found a toad at the dock --YES, she brought him home and two of her brothers were trying to get him from her --but they didn't:) Night y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous, your day sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cindy (tranquil solitude) Thanks so much. I meant to tell you on your blog but a friend of mine uses a deer be gone spray I think it is. She says it works but she sprays it alot!

    Anonymous, Your day does sound awesome. So relaxing. Lucky you! And even a swim too! I need to take up running so I can get some energy. You think it would help? Oops, I forget when I retired I said NO MORE running, maybe I will take a nice long walk around Ft. Campbell tomorrow. I need some of your energy!

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!