Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Vegetable/Potager Garden

Potato with happy worm on February 6th, 2011.
From In the Garden
Potager is a very popular term now a days. You hear it all the time in garden circles but what is a potager? Googling potager on the Internet tells me a potager basically is a vegetable garden that provides food for the gardener but it also has an ornamental value as a garden. Potagers have French and English elements and are not strictly utilitarian in nature. For my purposes I am simply calling a potager a vegetable garden that has a variety of vegetables, fruits, and flowers or herbs arranged in an ornamental way so as to be pleasing to the gardener. That is strictly my definition and it describes my vegetable garden to a T. I, however, like calling my vegetable garden a vegetable garden even though it has many other things growing in it.
Long view of blueberry bed with additional beds in the background.
From In the Garden


My vegetable garden has been on my mind. Not only because it is getting to be spring time and a busy time in the garden, but because this year for the first time in many years I am going to grow fruits in my vegetable garden. Growing fruit will seriously require a cut back or creative managing in order to grow the vegetables I enjoy growing each year and I think I'm up for the challenge. You see, my potager is set up with raised beds in a very limited area (30'x25' at its widest spot) that is shaped like a coat of arms shield. I had to arrange the vegetable garden in this manner due to Mr. Fix-it's hobby of car collecting. Do you see his garage in the above picture? Just on the other side of the vegetable garden is his drive down to his garage. Once upon a time before he got that huge black trailer my vegetable garden was over in his driveway about 10 feet. Once the trailer came in Mr. Fix-it had a great deal of difficulty maneuvering in the backyard due to the gardens and long length of his truck and trailers (usually pulling cars or garden stuff). I think it was in 2007 that I moved the entire vegetable garden over and configured it in the style it is in now. I actually am glad I moved it over because now it is more in the sun and enabled me to have a Sunny Perennial Border on the outside of the vegetable garden. Don't worry if you can't follow me on the design process, I am working on a complete work up of my property and a diagram of the vegetable garden proper and once I have a design complete I'll certainly post the designs and all will be clear as mud=). Today's post is simply about the beds and the vegetables and fruits I am going to grow in my vegetable garden this year. 


Blueberry foliage in Tiger Gardens
From In the Garden
When I designed the vegetable garden I had a finite space within which I could work. I worked in as many beds as I could trying to maximize space while still allowing for walkways. As it were, I shorted myself on walkways because along the perimeter of the vegetable garden the walkways are only about 18 inches wide. This is really not wide enough but I make do. I would recommend at least 24 inches for walkways in a vegetable garden. I do have this amount and more in the interior of the vegetable garden so I can move around okay and don't feel so cramped. In establishing the beds I wound up with five beds that I planned to use for vegetables. I also have a seven foot circle at the center of the garden that I used to grow bananas in. The circle now houses four blueberry plants. There are three additional beds that are not raised. I currently grow a variety of perennials, bulbs, and annuals in these beds. These include three peonies, iris reticulata, columbine, zinnias, bellacamda, cleome, and catnip and whatever else self seeds in the garden I usually let grow. At the base of the very large PVC arbor there are vines and annuals growing. I used to grow Indigofera amblyantha in one of the beds but moved it last fall because it was suckering. I replaced it with a blackberry that had to be moved due to my new privacy fence.
Onions planted in November are doing well. I think we need to grow short day onions here in the south. I've never really looked at that fact when I've planted onions but will in the future. So far I've not been successful in getting onions to bulb. Maybe this year will be the year.
From In the Garden
So, taking out the banana trees and leaving the three small ornamental beds alone I now have six beds in which to plant food crops. This is not such a bad amount of beds but most of the beds are small. All beds are about three feet wide and range from four to thirteen feet long (except the center circle bed which has a diameter of just over seven feet). Certain vegetables must go in certain beds due to the size requirements of the vegetable so rotating vegetables each year has been a juggling act between mainly just three beds. Some years I've had a great vegetable garden and other years I've gotten it all wrong. In order to fix this problem I am promising myself to only grow those things in my vegetable garden that mean the most to me and which will give me the greatest bang for the buck with a caveat. During the winter the garden seems so much bigger because the tomatoes and vining crops are not in it so I can grow all sorts of things then-but only then! Some vegetables that I probably shouldn't waste my time growing at any time are potatoes and onions. Nonetheless, I planted 10 Yukon and 10 Red Norland potatoes on the sixth of February. Can you see the happy worm on the potato above? The soil was literally crawling with worms when I planted the potatoes. Worms are a very good sign in a garden. Some other cool season crops I will be growing are: peas (a must and planted on 14 February after a night of soaking in water), spinach, chard, kale, and lettuce (a must-planted seedlings on 14 February!). The onions and garlic already growing in the vegetable garden were planted last fall. Truthfully, I probably shouldn't grow the onions because they are so cheap at the grocery store. Garlic is a must~! It is so good fresh from the garden and so easy to grow.
Long shot of the Vegetable Garden from the top of a step ladder minus two beds: one small border bed just beneath my ladder that houses three 'Sunny' Knockout roses, and one other bed to the far left of this picture close to me. This bed will house the raspberries. The green pipes you see belong to a fifteen foot arbor I built from PVC pipes and painted green. On this arbor grows 'Tangerine Beauty' crossvine, 'The Pride of Augusta' jessimine, and for some annual color in the summer hyacinth beans take over.
From In the Garden



Back to the beds. Mr. Fix-it and I decided we wanted to grow fruits this year. We have decided on: 2 'Black Satin' thornless blackberries (these will join the one with thorns I transplanted into the garden this month), 25 'Allstar' June bearing strawberries, 3 'Thornless Canby' raspberries, and 4 blueberry plants. You may remember I have posted about my blueberries in the past. They do fabulously here! I expect they'll do even better now that I have put them in the vegetable garden where they'll not only get more sun but will be babied with fine soil and moisture as necessary. I'm not sure of the variety of the two blueberries I transplanted from an ornamental bed because they've been growing here for more than seven years, but the two new ones I added are:  'Powderblue' and 'Climax'. I purchased these two new blueberries from Jason Powell of Petals from the Past out of Alabama. The three raspberries will be planted in the triangular bed directly behind the circle bed and then they will be underplanted with the strawberries. The two additional blackberries will have a bed to themselves on the far left (not visible in this picture) and will be staked. As always whenever your grow fruit it is a good idea to have more than one cultivar to ensure pollination. Hence the four blueberry bushes and two types of blackberries. I may add another raspberry at some point too. Generally speaking  in my garden I've not had problems with blueberries setting fruit-even with only two plants. 

So, from the six beds I started with for vegetables I'm now down to only three. Two are approximately eleven feet long and one is about four feet long. In these I will grow my cool season crops such as peas, lettuce, and garlic. Summer crops for this year will include tomatoes (3-5, I haven't decided how many yet), sweet peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, and cantaloupes. There will be no gourds this year, no eggplant, and no beans. I'm sad I can't grow as much as I'd like to grow but happy that I have a plan that will maximize what I do grow. Not only do I have a plan but so far I'm doing well at keeping up records with what varieties I'm growing. This blog is a help in that department.


This post was intended to talk about the types of vegetables and fruits I plan to grow but as I look back on it I see I've rather rambled about my challenges with my small vegetable garden. I must explain that the location of this vegetable garden is the ONLY place it can be on our one acre lot. While we have a lot of space, in addition to Mr. Fix-it's driveway and cars, I have to contend with tons of shade cast by mature oak trees. As it is, the location of my current vegetable garden will one day be completely shaded. Right now it is on the north side of three mature oak trees and only gets direct sun during the summer months. I hope it is going to be enough for my potager/vegetable garden....


in the garden....

Note: I garden biodynamically using the principles espoused by many well known organic gardeners. It is known as the French Intensive Method of vegetable gardening. I first learned of this method in the early 80s when I prepared my very own vegetable garden in North Carolina. Interesting enough and I did not know this, potagers and the French Intensive Method of gardening go hand in hand, so perhaps I should call my Vegetable Garden a Potager? Naw, not saying nothing bad about the French because the country is lovely, but I think I'll stick with the good ole American term for my ornamental garden using the French methods....

in the garden.... 



Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

25 comments:

  1. An exciting time of the year. You are going to have an even more wonderful veggie/fruit/flower area....I have never had onions bulb either...mine look about like yours do now. Okay, so, do we loosen the soil around the bulbs or pull the soil away from the bulbs? If so, when? (praying there are bulbs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can feel your excitement and look forward to seeing your ornamental veggie garden as it grows this year.

    Happy Gardening ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy worms will make a happy gardener!!!!
    Your vegetable garden is bigger than I thought looking at the photos. The paths in our garden are only 18" as well. I have skinny feet so it works. Ha! I hope all the fruits do well for you. It sounds like you've given everything a lot of thought. I'm working on figuring out how to fit everything in this year myself. You have great trellises for your vining plants. I'm going to use square tomato cages for all my squash this year to help make space. If I can't go out, I'll go up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have expanded to 2 small veggie beds, containers and planting other veggies out in the garden as I have the fruits...I do not have the space so I try to plan and be creative so this yr it is growing peas and beans up the picket fence...I understand many of your issues and will let you know how it goes and am anxious to see how it goes for you too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darla, I wouldn't loosen the soil but make sure the onions are weed free. Short day onions should start making bulbs with 10-12 hours of sunlight. We need short day onions here in the south I believe. I know that the kind I buy in the store are never labeled so even if they make bulbs I'll be looking at short day cultivars next year if I try again. I must try again until I'm successful I think. You'll can dig a bit when you think they should be bulbing. If they bulb then generally they would be ready for harvesting when the foliage starts turning yellow. The same with garlic. On the garlic they are not usually ready until late May or June. Perhaps it might take this long for onions? Not sure. Let me know how they turn out.

    FlowerLady, Excited indeed! It feels like spring here and I know you feel it too. It's glorious!

    GSS, Ha on the skinny feet! Still laughing. 18" is pretty tight for sure. On the vining crops I built the A-frames. I have posted on the process and you can find the label on the sidebar. They are the best way I know to grow vining crops. Up is a must when you have a small garden and most of the stuff to make them is on hand already or less than $20 for all. Not a bad deal. I'm so glad you gave me feedback on the garden. I had no idea it seemed small on the photos I've published. It is 30' long or so looking straight like in the long shot, then about 27 feet wide at the base of where I'm standing. It is shaped like a shield. A bit different but it works. We who have smaller areas have to work extra hard to get all of our good stuff in. I remember your post on your veggies and think you are well on your way!

    Donna, I'm glad I posted this of my small veggie garden because now I'm finding a few of us are challenged by our small areas. And challenging it is! Do let me know how it turns out and fingers crossed we both get lots of food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! A vegetable garden by any other name would be as sweet. I'll look forward to reading more about your deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a great garden going. I'm anxious to see the results. It is much larger than I thought.
    My blueberries are blooming so is my peach tree. I have managed to get 4 different kinds of citrus trees for my garden. I have an apple tree but haven't seen any new growth yet. Since I have such a small area I have to go with the dwarf or semi-dwarf type. Hopefully I'll get enough fruit. I'm trying to get more edible things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your gardens are going to be teeming with good things to eat this summer. I had one blueberry bush in a container on the deck in VA and it produced fruit....that the squirrels got! Know yours will do well.
    Potatoes fresh from the garden are supposed to be so different from those at the store in the sugar/starch make up. Keep us posted on the taters!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy gardening Tina, it looks like your hands will really be full from now on. Seems it entails a lot of man-hours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tina,
    I wish you success with your fruit efforts! I bet you will really enjoy picking your own berries. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tina, I admire you--you have really thought all this out. I grow my raspberries in part shade along an edge. My brother once pointed out to me that that's where they grow in the wild, and it worked and saves precious room in the sun. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are really going to have a good veggie garden this year girl. I am impressed how you seem to squeeze veggies into your gardens. You have such a knack for finding space for things to grow. I know having those bananas out of there helps keep sun around as well. Look at that happy worm!

    I inspired my neighbor into gardening a few years ago. His motto, "If you cannot eat it, I dont grow it" I on the other hand, seem to have little luck with veggies so I think this year, I will stick to flowers only. My gourds even flopped last year. I want to enjoy gardening and not get frustrated by it so I will stick to blooms…

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all the leaves you have scattered in your garden... much better than pine needles!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carolyn, Thanks! I'll be posting on the berries and stuff-can't wait!

    Lola, You are the second person who said that! Huh, makes me wonder just how impressions of my garden are from the blog and how they vary when you see it in person. Skeeter said it is different so I guess that is as it is. So great you have some fruit trees! I think dwarf are best for a small yard and for short folks who don't want to get a ladder-like me. I hope you pick many this summer.

    Janet, Well those squirrels were mighty happy! I can't wait for the potatoes for sure. A nice steak and fresh potatoes right around Memorial Day are perfect!

    Andrea, Believe it or not when I say this but this vegetable garden requires the least amount of work from me. No weeding, no dividing, no transplanting-unless you count veggie starts. It's a well managed garden for me. Good thing because come summer I stay inside and only wish to pick produce. Now if the other ornamental gardens would learn a lesson.....

    Rosey, I can't wait and it is right around the corner! Hot here today-feels like spring. Nice.

    Carolyn, It's such a relief to hear that about the raspberries. I know blackberries grow that way too and I have tried to emulate it here since I have so much shade. Sure wish I had some wild berries though. I used to pick them on the roadsides in Germany-they grow like weeds there.

    Skeeter, It may just have been a bad year. We have them at times. I remember your excitement about it all so don't let it discourage you. On the other hand, sitting back in your swing and watching the butterflies is most nice too!

    DGG, OMG! I am overrun with leaves. They are causing me issues and I really need to move them to a consolidated spot. Usually this time of the year they are mostly gone but not this year. They do provide all of the organic matter for my garden and are composted too. They are super good. Want some::)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Potager or potahtager? If people want to get picky with terms, well let them. We'll just pick fruit and veggies to our hearts' content! Your new plan sounds like a winner for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your veggie beds look great. We started some raised beds last year and made a few mistakes along the way. I can't wait to plant this spring! Hopefully, we will get a few more things right this time. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm excited to watch what you plant there this year since I will actually have space for a real vegetable garden this year. I think this first year will mostly be a learning process. I have Blueberry bushes growing in raised beds here and they do great, I used to try and grow things in front of them but it got too shady where they are. Looking forward to seeing more of what you will plant.
    PS I love the term potager but just can't get into the habit of calling my vegetable garden that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun to see spring with all the ice and snow out my window. You can make even a worm look pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the worn, he sure does look happy!!! Wish it was spring here but with all the snow we got this year it will be a late spring I think.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the potato with happy worm! The photo is so surreal! I'm thinking of writing a post a little about worms next week. What a coincidence! Very glad if you come and see them next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. W2W, My thoughts exactly!

    Carla, It is so hard to get a garden right the first time-or even the next time with a vegetable garden. Hang in there.

    Catherine, Me too on the term potager. I started with vegetable garden so I think I'll stick with it in spite of the fruit. Looking forward to seeing your new garden eveolve.

    Sarah, It's heading your way! I made the photo into a cartoon like? I guess that is what it I did. Makes it pretty and surreal I think.

    Mom, There were so many and I was surprised since it had been quite cold when I was outside. Here, usually only the 2 inches or so of the soil will freeze. These were a bit deeper and content. Probably all that compost I put on there last spring.

    I'll be looking for your worm post Sapphire. Your posts are always so educational and beautiful so I'm curious to see how you approach worms.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been enjoying this weather, I bet you are too! You can call your vegetable garden whatever you want - after all it is a vegetable garden! If you need strawberries I'm sure I have more than enough - they have left their bed and are on the move...

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun post, Tina - I'm so impressed with the variety of things you grow. I understand your reluctance to grow onions and potatoes - I did hear that sweet potatoes can do wonders for the soil. May have to try them this year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I enjoyed reading about your garden thoughts and plans. I planted 4 raspberry plants in my garden across the street last year. I didn't know one should plant another kind.

    When I was in my 20s, I read a book about the French intensive method, and did that at least in part of my garden. We lived in a small house on three lots, and I had two nice sized veggie gardens. I miss that much room, but not the little house infested with mice.

    I hope your garden grows well, no matter what it's called. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. That potato looks great and so do your onions. How exciting to be planting already! I like your definition of potager.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!