Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Many Faces of Spirea Foliage and a New Proven Winners Spirea

100_2199

Do you like spireas? I love them. Yes I know they can be very aggressive and in some cases even downright invasive but I still like them and can't seem to remove them from my garden. In fact, I keep adding more. I just can't help it. Spireas are easy to grow and bloom all season. I also like them as substantial plants in a border or garden. I simply adore spireas and so far I haven't met one I don't like. Today I'll discuss a few of the lower growing mounded varieties in my gardens. These are generally known as 'bumalda' or 'japonica' spireas.

Last May I received a shipment from Proven Winners that included a 'Double Play Big Bang' spirea plant. Proven Winners sends some garden writers plants to trial and I was lucky enough to be on their list. It was like Christmas when the FedEx man pulled up with that box I tell you. While most of the plants in the box were annuals I was very excited to get this spirea. As I am wont to do I tend to grow the plant for at least one year before I post on it. I'd hate to post on a new plant only to have it later die. Well, that has not been the case with this 'Big Bang' spirea. The foliage (pictured above) tends to grab your eye. It is quite a stunner in the garden and came back admirably-even after having to suffer through the drought last summer and other indignities such as being moved at least once. I am really looking forward to seeing some blooms on it this year. To give you a good idea just how special this spirea is I thought I'd compare it to two other spireas I have growing in my garden.


100_2200


The first comparison is to the newly emerged foliage of 'Goldmound' spirea. This spirea foliage starts off a brilliant chartreuse/yellow color but will gradually darken to a green as the season progresses. It is a beautiful color and shines in the garden almost as much as 'Big Bang'.


100_2201


The last spirea I am showing you is 'Magic Carpet' spirea. This foliage is definitely an improvement over the 'Goldmound' spirea. The contrast between new and old growth is very nice being a somewhat dulled down version of the 'Big Bang' spirea. 

I tell you I really like all three spireas and it would be tough for me to pick a favorite but if I had to pick I'd choose the one that has the most wow power. For me that is the 'Big Bang' spirea....


in the garden....


Which one of the three spireas do you like the best???


Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

22 comments:

  1. I believe these are all beautiful spireas...hmmm why don't I have any?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them, just not too many! I mentioned on in my last post too. I think it's 'Magic Carpet' like you have. But its planting predates our living here. I have about 8 propagated in the garden shed right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Tina! The "Big Bang" does have beautiful foliage, so I think it's the winner, too. I just planted two spirea last fall--my first--both of them the 'Magic Carpet' cultivars. I'm anxious to see how they look this spring. I remember the old-fashioned ones we had when we were growing up that sprawled all over the place. I'm glad they have developed some better behaved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big Bang indeed! The foliage is just wow to the eyes and I can see why the name "Big Bang". Anything called that must be a winner...

    Big plans for the yard today! Have a great day…

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning all!

    Darla, It might just be time to add some. They are all so easy to grow and bloom all season.

    Dave, I think you can't have too many spireas. I love them all here in my garden as they bloom all season and look good all year. A delight for sure. As a bonus the drought never bothers them.

    Rose, Spireas have come a long way and are all such a delight. They are one of my workhorses here and I didn't even realize it until I began this post.

    Skeeter, I know doesn't it just jump out at you? It is a delight here. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For garden novices like myself, I really appreciate the Proven winners selection. These look like beautiful shrubs!
    I read on W2write blog (in your comment) that you hurt your back. Hope you are okay! Rest up and take it easy.
    Rosey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rosey, Thanks! You are so kind. I've never had a back injury and this one has laid me low. It's so hard for me too not that I'm whining (saving that for hubby:) Proven Winners are the best! I love all their plants and honestly when I buy plants I will buy a PW over others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been arguing with myself over whether to add them to the yard in Florida or not. They certainly flourished where we lived in S. Illinois and W. Kentucky. Maybe since they've developed some tame ones, I'll have to give it some thought. Big Bang looks like a dandy of a plant. What's the size estimate on it?

    I hope your back starts to feel better soon. Have you been putting ice on it? Maybe schedule a massage?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just planted three Gold Mound, was looking for Gold Flame, but they didn't have any. The bright yellow foliage in the spring just jumps out at you. I have not heard of Double Play Big Bang-- will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful spireas...mine have not gotten aggressive so I like that...I love the foliage on all of them but the last one is especially gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just bought one last year but never got it in the ground. Hope it comes back this year in the pot but if it does not, it will be my own fault. Yours are all pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tina at first I thought maybe there was a different kind of Spirea other than the shrub when you said you had them everywhere and they were aggressive. But nope it's the shrub. LOL I have a small one called Little Princess that I really like but every year it looks dead for so long that every year I'm convinced it didn't make it. Guess this year I'll remember it only LOOKS dead. hehehe I'll have to look for the Big Bang since they mentioned how large the blooms are.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are all great. I think I like magic carpet the best. Those red edge leaves just won me over.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Everyone.
    Under the weather so no gardening today.
    Tina, that "Big Bang" sure is a winner in my books. Already checked on it in my area {local} but sadly they are out. May have to go farther to get it. I've been wanting the old fashioned kind {?} but don't know if it would fit in my small yard. I do intend to get the "Big Bang" when I locate it.
    Thanks for the info.
    Wanted to ask a question if you don't mind. Would Cardinal Climber be an invasive vine? Will it come back next yr.?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I meant to ask how you are. Hope you are much better soon. No fun being down.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have 3 Goldmounds in my garden and love them. Such a great no-fuss plant. I love that Magic Carpet, the foliage is fantastic. Thanks for sharing some info on Big Bang too, it looks like another one to add to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. With all the snow out back, I clicked down south for blooms and got fall foliage? Of course I like the spireas with the autumnal leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My vote is for Magic Carpet. Love, love the colors! But...they are all pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like all 3. All add a lot of colorful interest.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like all of them. I have one that was passed to me by a friend. She dug it up from her grandmother's garden and did not know which variety. I still love it. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love 'Magic Carpet' spiraea. Its peach-colored foliage in the early spring is to die for and it has great fall color. I don't really like the pink flowers with the gold leaves but am getting used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I generally like Spiraea, especially the ones with colored foliage. This past fall I ripped out a Vanhoutteii, gave it to friends and replaced it with an Ogon Spiraea. Love the golden foliage!

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!