Friday, April 29, 2011

A Glorious Arbor Entrance to the Vegetable Garden

100_2443

I have a few arbors in the garden that have been screaming for their time to shine on the blog. Literally-they are saying look at me! My time to shine! Today we'll talk about the gigantic PVC arbor I built as an entryway into the vegetable garden. I built this PVC arbor from 6" PVC pipe several years ago. It is about 10 wide at the base and about 16-17 feet tall at its peak. I pieced together PVC parts to make it all work to form a large arbor and glued the parts together with construction adhesive. I couldn't get that stuff off from my hands for days. It is really really strong glue. Prior to putting the arbor together I painted the white PVC with a deep green color using the Fusion spray paint made for plastics. Once the arbor was in place I secured chicken wire to the arbor so the vines would have a place to cling to as they grew up the arbor. It has been about five years since I built the arbor and the vines are finally providing me with a show.

The left side of the arbor (south side) has a 'Tangerine Beauty' crossvine (Bignonia capreolata) growing on it. The north side has a 'Pride of Augusta' (Gelsemium sempervirens). Both vines bloom at the same time. One side is orange and the other is yellow. I highlighted the yellow side in my vegetable garden post from last Wednesday. Today is the crossvine's (orange) time to shine.


100_2442


Crossvine is a cousin to the vigorous trumpet creeper we see blooming all along the fencerows in Tennessee during the summer. Crossvine is purported to be less aggressive. I cannot vouch for that because I do not grow the trumpet creeper, but I can say the crossvine is a very manageable vine that can grow in the shade or sun. Bloom will be much less in the shade however. My vine grows on the northern side of mature oak trees and is somewhat shaded. It does get some sun but probably not as much as it would like. Nonetheless it blooms wonderfully every year.


100_2441


100_2492

Can you see the chicken wire attached to the arbor? I do have to do some training of the vines to ensure they are growing up and around the pillars but once the vines have a solid structure I should have to only trim errant stems. I need a ladder to reach to the top of this arbor so training and trimming is not something I do often.


100_2440


And finally here you can see the complete arbor in its glorious context. This arbor is a big presence in my garden and I really like it not only for its presence but for the fact I can grow up-a nice luxury when I run out of room on the ground....


in the garden....

Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

23 comments:

  1. Looks like monkey flower. Like the photo where it kind of spirals around the pole... It's a beautiful vine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! My husband made our trellis out of lathe wood we removed from the farm house when we remodeled. Have orange and yellow trumpet vine established. Not even budding yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How that's a very very cool arbor !!
    Barely see the wire.
    Love the trumpet flowers...and there's so many !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chandramouli, That picture was actually a late entry but I couldn't resist. This vine is definitely a keeper. I'm not familiar with monkey flower. I'll have to check that out.

    Nancy, Please post a picture of your trellis when the trumpet vine blooms. I bet it is stunning!

    Patsi, The vine has been here about two years. I hope soon it will skyrocket even thicker but I think finally-I've found a good spot for it to get so many flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina, the arbors I usually see are those cheesy metal hoops that people drop into the ground in front of a door with no fencing to the right of left. You end up with this "pathway to nowhere" effect and it's always been such a turnoff to me. I look at yours, and THAT's an arbor. The straight lines are great (those cheesy arbors usually have swirly thingamajigs) and your use of the chicken wire to house the tendrils is a fantastic idea. Air can circulate and your hands and scissors can get in there to do what you must. This is a great looking arbor. Two Thumbs Up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a mass of blooms on this crossvine! Your arbor is really eye-catching, Tina; a great focal point for your vegetable garden. I doubt I'd get up on a ladder to trim very often either:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, the humidity is gone and I shall be out plucking weeds today!

    Stunning look Tina! Crossvine is a new one to me and yes, it looks so much like the trumpet vine I have growing on the white picket fence in front of the gas tank. The trumpet vine is a mess as it is growing all over the place! Yikes, I have to pull sprigs pretty much every time I am in the Semi-Formal garden. I like that it has found its way to the chain link fence though as I want it to take that over.

    The Cicada are super loud today! Sounds like sirens going off in the woods…

    ReplyDelete
  8. That vine is rather stunning if I may say so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are the "how to" queen. If there is a way, you will find it. Love the arbor. Smart with the chicken wire. It certainly looks good with all the blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so clever & thrifty with this great arbor Tina. That Trumpet Vine is really showing off this spring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, what a stunning vine that is. Wow, all those flowers and such a ptreet color. Nice or not I am green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! I am so glad that you guys are okay after all of the storms. I hope the bad storms are over for this spring. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love DIY creative projects! Crossvine really needs a big arbor and you've filled the prescription for it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. HI ALL.
    Tina that is some vine. I don't think my little arbors would hold all those lovely blooms. I am trying the Cardinal Vine on one of my arbors. sure hope it works. I also noticed some morning glories coming up volunteer from last yr. Maybe they will intermingle. Will send you a pic if it works.
    I really like that arbor. Sadly I didn't get one built.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tina, That crossvine is beautiful. Mine is the straight species without the tangerine highlights that give yours added beauty. I just planted trumpet creeper this spring so we will see which is more vigorous. My cross vine is pretty aggressive, but I like that. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tina,
    Arbor or monolith? Very cool project. I can see our crazy cat climbing it the catch critters.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very clever! The crossvine is beautiful and looks much better behaved than my trumpet vine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a glorious entrance! I admire how inventive you are with materials not usually used in gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We need to make some arbors for our garden. Your Crossvine looks beautiful. The wild Trumpet Creeper is an extremely strong grower, and has very thick vines. It's snapped the seal on the rotary arm of my bushhog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is so beautiful Tina, you can now forget the glue which stayed long on your fingers. They flower a lot making that arbor so very special.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very pretty. Admire the uniqueness and originality of your garden arbor.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tina you commented on the Piedmont azaleas ~ I got mine from Niche and Sunlight gardens, both of which do mail order. SG might be a better bet since I've noticed azaleas being extremely potbound at Niche the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That crossvine is spendid looking.
    I have never seen anything like it before. How wonderful that you were able to create such a welcome sight with your crossvine covered arbor. Your flower pictures were so delightful to view, thank you.
    Betty
    http://gardeningjoy4thesoul.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!