Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Button Bush

BY SKEETER
 When I started loading these photos, I thought I was going to have yet another Mystery Plant on my hands. I spotted this one with a recent trip to the lake. The blooms caught my eye and I was thinking this bush needed to be in my GEORGIA GARDENS.
Research tells me this is a Button Bush (Cephalanthus Occidentalis). Here is a photo of a bloom beginning to pop open.
 Another bloom further along.
 And yet another bloom even further along.
As you can see, this bush is thriving in the lake water but also can survive in moist soil in gardens. This bush provides food for ducks, bees butterflies and even deer eat its leaves. I have never seen one of these bushes before and found the blooms most awesome. They are located all over the eastern USA and if  you Click HERE you can read an interesting story about Button Bush being Landmark #492 in the San Joaquin Valley! 
Too bad we are normally under drought conditions in my garden or I would have a BUTTON BUSH, In the Garden...  
 
My Calendar tells me it is Oct. That means, time to get out the Sewing Machine and make a Costume for the Clarksville Humane Society's Wags to Witches Fur Ball....

Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

11 comments:

  1. I too love this native shrub. It is so graceful and has these playful buttons. I have tried to get it going in a wet corner of our garden. It dries out too much for it through the late summer. I will have to admire it from afar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love the fluffy blooms Lisa! If I did not have something already planted near the Air Conditioner unit, I would put a button bush there to help soak up the water drainage! But my beloved Elephant Ears are enjoying that moisture...

      Delete
  2. I've been trying to get some going in my garden for years! I do have a Chinese buttonbush which is said to grow in more shade than the native one. It is doing well and looks great but no blooms. Maybe next year but of course I am moving it. I got a native one at the Nashville Lawn and Garden show this year and planted it by the pond in the moist soil. Right where we were sitting actually. Farmer Fix-it weedwhacked it! I am not sure if it will come back. It is supposed to be a very good shrub. I'm surprised to see it actually growing in the water. Have fun getting your costume ready! The ball is early this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must make those plants in the area of a wild man weed whacking! The Saint does not often weed control as he thinks everything is a weed! LOL, next to your pond would be a great place for one of these bushes. Hey, you may even attract a duck or two to the pond.

      Yep, the Fur Ball is a bit early this year and that gives me less time for costume making. Yikes....

      Delete
  3. I have one in a container that I got at the Nashville Lawn and garden Show, too! it gets watered daily, no pond to plant it near!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Research tells me this bush is Native and I know how you admire those Natives so it is fitting that you should have one in your gardens! Although I don't think kindly to something that must be watered daily. I would easily forget then let the thing die on me. How about near your AC Unit as the runoff would keep it moist and happy. Am sure you are like most of us with that spot already being taken by another beauty....

      Delete
  4. I've never seen one of these. They are pretty.
    Let us see your costume when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I will be showing that costume Lola :-)

      Delete
  5. I had never heard of this plant before either until I saw a couple specimens in a friend's garden last month. They can grow quite tall and really are interesting looking shrubs. Her garden was bone dry, though! Looking forward to seeing this year's costume, Skeeter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bone Dry you say? Wow, then that is one tough plant! Standing in water happy as can be and in Bone Dry conditions... Hum.... Makes one wonder....

      I worked on the costume for many hours today and no where new finished with it. I shall show pics after the Fur Ball....

      Delete
  6. I have always loved the blooms but never saw one myself in person...this may be a must to find for my garden especially those wet areas...

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!