Thursday, October 3, 2013

Pest Worm/Caterpillar

BY SKEETER
 My GEORGIA GARDEN has seen some Pest's lately. I must say even a pest, this Pack Saddle Worm/Caterpillar is one cool looking critter!
 Look but DONT TOUCH as this is a cat with a bite! Bite in the form of a painful sting from those fuzzy little hairs you see. Also this guy has fake eyes on his rump as you see in this pic.
 Here, you see the face and mouth munching on my Banana Tree. Isn't this a cool looking critter? We just let it enjoy the tree for a couple days then it went on its merry way.
 What is the Saint doing to his Bald Cypress Tree with that long pole and brush?
 He is pulling out Tent Worm nests!
 At this stage, they do not look like Tent Worms. Click HERE to see more on Tent Worms. Maybe these are fuzzy baby's.
 Our Tomatoes are long gone and were most enjoyed by us this summer. As they began to fizzle out, we spotted this Horn Worm. We found it neat how this critter holds onto the stem of the tomato plant.
 The worm munched on this and another small and not so pretty tomatoes for several days. 
 Not to be confused with Raspberry's but what we assume to be Hornworm poop! Ewwwwww.... See the worm has moved onto another mater in the background.
 Now comes a mystery Pest for us. Here you see the Trolling Motor on our boat. Look at the White dots to the left and right of the name brand.
 Zooming in you can see one of the holes better. This is where the Motor Cover is screwed onto the unit.
Once we break the white coating, a nest is revealed.
 And a Pupa falls out! These things will nest in any small hole they can find. We find them in just about every screw hole on our boat! We have no idea what they are but they can wreak havoc on machines such as Weed Whackers, Lawn Mowers, etc. We once discovered one on the boat motor clogging up the water out take! The Saint had to jump into the lake and remove it from the motor before it over heated and killed our motor! Does anyone know what these things can be? We are baffled and do NOT take kindly to these PEST WORM/CATERPILLARS, In the Garden...


Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

13 comments:

  1. I surely recognize the first and third pest. I've been stung by a saddleback. It feels like boiling water is poured on you because it is a large sting with all those hairs. It hurts! But the pain goes away faster than a wasp sting. I don't recognize the tent caterpillars. There are so many different types of tenting caterpillars. I think yours may be fall webworms. Bald cypress is a tree they attack. http://pender.ces.ncsu.edu/2013/08/what-is-making-webs-in-my-tree/

    On the larva (pupa) I have tried to find out what it is with no luck. I will keep checking it out but maybe someone can help. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people become real sick from the saddlebacks Tina. Vomiting and fever, Yikes! We stay clear of all caterpillars just to be on the safe side. I think you are correct with the Webworms! The images I see on the Net sure do look like the tiny ones we saw. Wish I had a better pic but was a hot day and I was tired and too sunny to see if I had a good pic or not. Sigh. Oh well, am sure they will be back again some day for a better peek at them...

      Delete
  2. Your garden looks like a Wonderland with various types of curious caterpillars. I know they do harm to your plants but I've always been impressed with how cool they look. Your photos are really nice and I particularly love your caterpillar photos. The third one is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was captivated by the saddleback! Its color was so vibrant and looked like wax. I enjoy all wildlife in the garden and try not to harm or bother anything so caterpillars, we pretty much leave alone to do as they may. I know I am not a true Gardener or I would rid the plants. LOL...

      Delete
  3. Yikes! You certainly have some obnoxious looking pests there. I'm only familiar with the tent guys who can denude a forest here in Minnesota in a flash....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The South is full of fun creepy crawlies! I do not remember seeing many pests while living in Colorado but I was younger then and more then likely would have not really noticed them anyway. That is as far out West as we lived. I know there are pest everywhere though.

      Delete
  4. Have you tried putting the pupa in a jar with holes in the top (or something similar) and bringing it in the house to see what will emerge? That might be the most reliable way of seeing what these critters are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought of that! I may try that next time I run across one of those things....

      Delete
  5. I have never seen such a pest before. I hope you find out what it is and tell us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too as I don't like them clogging up my holes... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mud dauber larvae, from what I can tell

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!