Wednesday, October 23, 2013

One of These Sheffield Mums is Not Quite Like the Other


DSCN9274
Hi you all! I am currently out of town but on my way out I was able to really enjoy my 'Sheffield Pink' mums. What a joy they are! During sunny days the large bouquet is literally covered in bees, butterflies, and other insects such as flies and who knows what else. These are wonderful perennials in my garden.

DSCN9262
But I noticed something funny about my clump of Sheffields. This yellow Sheffield is not a normal Sheffield Pink. At first I thought perhaps it was another flower that had gotten mixed in with the Sheffield Pinks. When I traced the stem it was not separate at all! In fact, the same stem had regular Sheffield pink mums on it as well. How weird is that?
DSCN9268
It is not that I don't like the new yellow 'Sheffield's mums but find it really strange that the flowers changed from the above to....
DSCN9267
this really pretty yellow. Not only are these flowers very yellow but they have more petals are are a little bit smaller in size. Has anyone experienced this before? I had meant to snip off the yellow flowers and stick them in the some soil so that I could grow a whole new plant of yellow Sheffields, but I did not have a chance. Maybe I'll ask Farmer Fix-it and see if he'll help me out.
DSCN9266
Speaking of Sheffies, look at the view my gray cat named Cloud recently had while Deacon was outside with me. I am not sure what was so interesting to Deacon, the big black lab, but he seemed pretty intent while Cloud simply watched from his regal position safely on the other side of the Sheffields.....

in the garden....
Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

8 comments:

  1. I had this happen with an Azalea too! Strange happenings and that time of year with Halloween on the horizon... Love the last pic of Deacon and Cloud. My favorite things, Animals and Flowers.... Happy Travels and enjoy your Granny time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never saw anything like it. My mums died. Guess it is too hot here for them to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that yellow one though. Makes you wonder what happened to make a yellow bloom on your Sheffie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a plant I've had on my "wish-list" for awhile; now if only I consult this list next spring when I start plant shopping:) Frances of Faire Garden also posted some photos of different colored Sheffields recently; I don't remember exactly her explanation, but it seems they do change to shades of yellow and pink over time. So pretty no matter their color!

    Deacon is striking the same pose I see in Sophie so often; I have no idea what they find so interesting in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right. I've never seen anything like this. Beautiful photos, though.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Odd. Really odd. But then I don't have a clue how this all really works....:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some sort of latent gene that slipped through the plant breeding cracks? Anyway, I think it adds to the beauty of the plant. I've been meaning to ask you what the name of that purple aster is that you gave me a clump of from your garden last year? It's thriving here, and I'm thrilled as none of the garden store varieties have done any good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful tumbling cloud of mums. I have no idea about the color change.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!