Thursday, October 31, 2013

Trick or Treat?

BY SKEETER
Well Folks, it was once again time for the Humane Society of Clarksville, Tennessee's annual Fundraiser. "Wags to Witches Fur Ball Bash" is their largest fundraiser of the year. The goal is to get a facility for Low Cost Spay and Neuter up and running. They are well on the way with building and other supplies needed to complete this goal. Such Benefits get them one step closer to fulfilling their Dream! Click HERE to learn more about my hometown's Humane Society...
 
The theme of this years Fur Ball was "Carnival Creeps" I spent several days running from one Goodwill store to the next looking for items that would assist me in creating a Lion Tamers outfit. I came home with a suit jacket, blouse, slacks and an Elvis type gold costume all for a few dollars. I tore out the sleeves of the jacket, cut out a low neck on the blouse (The girls come out at Halloween hee hee), rip the gold sparkles off the Elvis costume and got to sewing. A few feathers on a small headband hat and a crop complete with fun feathers. I came up with the perfect, for me and most importantly, a comfortable Lion Tamer's Costume... 
 The Saint, my Scrooge, wore a cute Tee-Shirt. I must admit, he did try for a costume but it backfired on him. I think he learned his lesson to not order a costume from the internet... The event did not bring out as many fun Costumed Folks as in the past events. But with the Gov't Shutdown, Furloughs, other events going on at the same time, etc. to be expected I reckon. They did have success at raising almost $14,000.00 towards the opening of the Clinic! So not to bad. We had a great time eating, drinking, dancing and visiting with old friends and making new ones until the wee hours of the morning.




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
One of the big draws (money makers) to the Fur Ball is the Pet Photo Contest. Our Cheetah won 2011 and Sheba won 2012 so their Reign as Queen's are over.  Although, we voted on the two beautiful fur babies you see above which won the titles of King and Queen! Mr.Wags; King Richie the recently rescued Dachshund and Miss Wags; Queen Shadow, also a rescue, both belong to some dear friends of ours. We are so happy these two babies will be donning the cover of the next benefit. Being the yearly Calendar. These two are the lucky ones that have their Fur-ever home. Unfortunately, not all cats and dogs are as lucky, Sigh...
The party is over and back to our GEROGIA GARDENS where work continues. We live in the country so we can burn from October-May each year. We had a large pile of debris collected from fallen limbs, pruned trees, etc to make the first of many fires to come until May. Our woods are full of "stuff" that needs to be picked up. That will come once the temps fall a bit more so we know there are no snakes to accidently grab. Yikes! 
While clearing debris off the ground, which has sat for some time, I found two small turtles. Not sure if they are related but the same size. We have never found any this size before have seen plenty smaller and larger ones each year. I failed to snap a photo of the one as I was so upset when I found it that I quickly put it in a safe place to continue resting. 
The second one I came across was awake and wanted to pose for the camera so I rushed into the house and grabbed it. The Saint had formed a bond with the little guy by the time I returned with the camera. 
Aren't they just the cutest things? After snapping a few pix, I put this one near the other turtle and we left them alone. A nice Treat to find!
I also spotted another Treat near where I found the turtles. An egg of some type. As soon as I picked it up I knew it was a dead egg as it was too light with no yolk inside. Strange thing though, I did not see a hole in the egg. I sat it aside and kept raking debris to toss into the fire. My brain never shuts off so the wheels were turning in my head. Too round for a Snake Egg, not round enough for a Turtle Egg plus large for any turtle that would be in our yard. I was thinking, I knew that egg but no way it could be one of those eggs. 
Once the fire was roaring and I had no need to add more debris, I picked up the egg for a closer examination. Yep, I know that egg! It is a Fake Egg that I put into my Fake Bird Nest's in hanging plants on the front porch to deter Finches from nesting in them! Click HERE to see that if you like. I had noticed last year that a few eggs were missing. I was thinking that a Crow was going to have a belly ache. So the question, how did a fake egg get from the front porch all the way to the back of the yard and so far away from the porch? Not a Treat but a Trick, ha...
Back to a wonderful Treat of my beloved Banana Tree!
A day later, Jack Frost dropped by and played a bad Trick on me! We normally do not see frost until after Thanksgiving but this year is different. Oh well, she will only return stronger next year!
My Cheetah kitty
Happy Halloween
Be Safe and have fun playing TRICK OR TREAT, In the Garden...

Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

6 comments:

  1. You guys outdid yourselves with the fur ball this year. Love the costume! That's funny about that egg in the backyard. Maybe a squirrel or something. We are getting ready to burn too but in Montgomery county we need a permit to burn October 15-May 15. I'm not sure about Stewart county tho-need to check that Never any problems with burning? We have an awful big pile and I am worried. Good picture of Cheetah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, we do not burn all our debris at once! We have about a 6 X 6 hole we have dug out for the burn pit. We burn a bit at a time taking us all day. We get a good fire going with all dried debris before we add wet things to the mix. We also never burn on windy days and keep all dried material at bay. Plus we have a water hose stretched out and ready in case of an emergency. One of us is always standing on guard of the fire.

      The egg cracked us up. Oh, did I just make a sort of joke? Ha... We got a good laugh from that for sure...

      I have put a couple of different hats on my Cheetah girl and she does not seem to mind them on her little furry head. Although, I am holding her for a photo op and then take it off as soon as the camera is finished snapping... She loves her mommy and would probably let me do anything to her. Sheba on the other hand would scream at me... LOL

      Delete
  2. Happy Halloween indeed, It look like you guys had lotsa fun in a good cause. oH I LOVED the baby turtles. My sons used to keep them for pets...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is tempting to keep a turtle as a pet but we decided that when we moved into this house in the middle of the woods filled with wildlife, that we would let the wildlife remain wild. We observe them from afar and get to enjoy a little turtle photo op now and then but that's about it. Well, I have been known to get a fat juicy worm from my compost pile for a large turtle. They enjoy the snack. And I bring a frog in occasionally to let my cats sniff it but not play with or harm it. I just want my cats to remember where they came from being the wild as well. LOL.... We did Foster a store bought turtle once though. We kept it for about a month until we could transport it to its new home. She was a fun pet but not for us...

      Delete
  3. You have been mighty busy. I hope you had a happy halloween. What a good cause to dress for. Sounds like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of fun and for a good cause indeed Lisa! I have not missed one Fur Ball in 7 years!

      Delete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!