Sunday, August 31, 2008

Southern Hospitality

I recently told you all about my beautiful Southern Belles. My pretty Belles continue to show me their beautiful dresses of pale and deep pink colors.

Georgia is one of many states known for its Southern Hospitality. My Southern Belles are no different then any other Belle in putting out the welcome mat and opening up their homes for others.

My Georgia Belles welcome all types within their folds. All types in the form of birds that is! Here you see a birdhouse and bird nest together in the Belle by the house. I assume the Mockingbird that built the nest was sure no resident was in the little house or were they thinking, eggs for breakfast?

This nest was found in the driveway island Belle. Notice how full it is of white fluffy stuff? That is a funny story. I set small pine trees on the porch as a winter decoration. Since we don't see snow in the Deep South, I place fake snow (pillow stuffing) under the trees for that cozy winter snow look.
The squirrels steal the snow and take it high into the trees and make nice warm pillows for their nest. Just look at that brave squirrel on my front porch stealing snow!
In time, the fake snow falls from the trees with the blowing winds. The birds find the snow on the ground and use it for pillows in their nests!

Here is another such nest in the Belle in the front yard.

When we had storm damage to the Belle by the house, we had to prune some of her branches. I carefully took the nest out of the tree for a good picture for you to see how soft that bed must be for babies. The Mocking birds never had babies in this nest as something took the eggs. I am guessing the crow I saw nearby. Argggg...
After I snapped the picture, I placed the nest on the ground at the bottom of a tree. Now look what happened within two days. Every bit of snow was gone with nothing left but the twigs! I can only assume the squirrels took the fluffy stuff back up the tree for another soft pillow. Recycling at its best! The critters in the yard are real funny at times and they do amuse me.
Our Southern Belles were gracious this year in providing lots of SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY to their guest, In the Garden...

19 comments:

  1. Good to see that your garden residents are recycling and repurposing... sustainable woodland creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although they never stopped, our crapes are on their second wind now and look almost as goog as they did in July. I wouldn't garden without them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures, Skeeter. Are birds still laying this time of year, or are those mostly old nests? Our bird families are all grown . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool story! And the photos animated it. I posted some photos of crepe myrtles a while back too, They are a lovely, dependable plant.

    When I was in high school I used to sit outside in the sun and dry my very long hair almost every day. One day we were in the hedges for some reason and found a bird nest and it was manufactured with long, red hair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great examples of southern hospitality Skeeter. I love that the birds/squirrels are recycling your fake Christmas snow for their nests. I like to put dryer lint in my yard for the same purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recycling at its best for sure! Those pesky squirrels are pretty smart when you thing about it. Great pics of the nests!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I was reading the post, I was thinking, recycling at its best!!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Skeeter, when I was snapping pics of my lady slippers, I found the smallest birds nest, made with my shredded paper! I was already on the ground and looked as if it never had little ones, got a pic of it. Who would of thought? Wonder if my birds are stealing from the squirrels? That would be a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute post Skeeter. Loved the pics. Some times the birds will take from squirrels especially the Mocking Bird. I have a container stuffed with a cotton material that I hang out for the birds to use in nests. Also dryer lint is used. I've also watched a squirrel take wash cloths off clothes line & take it up tree to "feather" it's nest. Something real soft for those babies. But he made sure it was the green one. lol Wonder if they can tell the difference in colors. Hmmmmm!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what fun these creatures have had with your faux snow. i would be tempted to keep it out all year round. thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. skeeter,

    Your Southern Belles are still lovely and I think your squirrels are way more talented then mine!

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Skeeter, beautiful southern belles, and grrrr to whatever took those eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Skeeter, that was great story telling! Kudos! The squirrel shot in the act was brilliant, way to tie it in. I have left pieces of colored yarn cut into six inch pieces for the birds to use in their nests, it is fun to see who uses what. Our mockingbird nest had something get into it too, but there are still no shortage of that type of bird. It is unsettling to discover it though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bet those mockingbirds had the softest nest in town! Too funny:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe snakes took the eggs. I hope not. Arrrggg.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Skeeter, That pink is so pretty!
    Even sqirrels understand (southern) comfort!! A post that I thoroughly enjoyed reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just peeking in real quickly to let you all know I have read your wonderful comments!

    I am still on R&R and headed to KY today....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very beautiful and interesting pictures. Those crepe myrtles are lovely!

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!