Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Huntsville Botanical Gardens Part Deux

100_3975
Part II of my posts on the Ramsey family's visit to the Huntsville Botanical Gardens sees many more fabulous sights along with lots of butterflies. These few posts I have put on this blog cannot begin to scratch the surface of all the Huntsville Botanical Gardens has to offer but I hope you've gained some great garden ideas and have enjoyed all the pictures. The above butterfly is what I believe to be a Gulf Frittilary in the Butterfly House portion of the gardens.
100_3940
This flower is no longer in bloom but is still beautiful in my book. It is the common Joe Pye Weed. I love this native wildflower in my garden and was impressed by the large healthy swathe of them here at the botanical gardens.
100_3938
White beautyberries are a new to me plant. Right next to these bunches of the white beautyberries were the usual purple beautyberries. I can't decide if I like one more than the other as they are both great plants. The berries normally will persist on the bushes until December here in my Tennessee garden. Birds love them.
100_3948
The formal herb garden was a delight. All of the beds were raised up with quite a variety of herbs. The beds were grouped according to usage. For instance: there might be an ornamental bed, a culinary bed, or a medicinal bed with the appropriate herbs growing in each bed. This process makes it easier for interested parties to learn about herbs. Herbs are not my strong point so I enjoyed perusing the various beds.
100_3951
Along with the herb beds there were some unique plants in this fenced in garden area. The one that caught my eye the most was this root beer plant. The plant itself is fabulous as the leaves are quite hairy.
100_3952
Japanese anemones are splendid fall bloomers. This large stand of them was simply gorgeous.
100_3959
I am a huge fan of Japanese maples and the Huntsville Botanical Gardens had quite a collection of several types of Japanese maples. These two were labeled 'Bloodgood'. 'Bloodgood' is a very commonly grown upright Japanese maple. I wouldn't call this color spectacular but the play of the sunlight on the leaves is still quite an eye catcher.
100_3963
These two columns were part of the Children's Garden area. They were a nice focal point from the pathway. Note the clear blue sky. Fall in the south and especially in Alabama is traditionally a season of clear blue skies, low humidity, and wonderful sun. There is not usually much rain to contend with during the southern fall season.
100_3960
Now this Japanese maple is quite a unique Japanese maple. I've never seen a bush/groundcover type Japanese maple. The cultivar is listed as 'Goshiki Kotohimo'. I tried Googling this cultivar but could only come up with 'Goshiki Kotohime'. I do believe the two to be the same. This is a dwarf Japanese maple that might be an option for those who are space challenged. It is supposed to be an excellent tree for containers and bonsai.


100_3888
Well, you know it is getting close to the holiday season. As such many botanical gardens tend to have scarecrow displays. The Huntsville Botanical Gardens have a great collection of scarecrows and actually apparently ran a contest. We could see the winning markers and found the creativity of the people who created these scarecrows just unimaginable. The lady above obviously is "Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary".
100_3890


I'll finish out this post with my two favorite guys. They were great sports to come along with me on the trip and I was simply delighted they were able to take part in a hobby I am very passionate about....


in the garden....


Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

13 comments:

  1. Good Morning All.
    Thanks for the tour Tina.
    I really enjoyed it.
    That was quite the lady.
    I like the way that they had the herb beds. That would be nice to have ones herbs separate like that.At least I could tell which was which. lol
    Have a great day all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos!
    I've never seen a white beautyberry, just the purplish-red ones.
    We went to the Huntsville Gardens in September last year. It was a lot of fun. Glad to see that they are doing the scarecrow thing again this year.
    Thanks for sharing your photos.
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lola, Good morning!

    Lea, Welcome and good morning! Yes, the gardens were so fun. Glad to meet a new regional blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that the guys went along with you. Makes a trip all the more fun. White Beautyberries, interesting!! The Mockingbirds are cleaning mine out now...it is fun to watch.
    That tiny Japanese maple is so cute. Amazing what varieties are out there now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, it's me again!
    I just checked my blog and discovered that while I was here commenting on your blog, you were over there commenting on my blog!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  6. White Beautyberry? I feel your excitement over this one. Like me, when I saw the Whitebud trees next to the Redbud trees in VA. LOL. So is that dwarf maple a Tree or Bush? Hum, interesting. Love, Mary in the Garden! You and I are so lucky to have our men explore gardens with us….

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like great trip. I think the Joe Pye Weed is just as pretty when it has gone to seed as when it is in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the tour. I love to see pictures of places I know I will never get a chance to see for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tour. Love that dwarf Japanese maple. I will have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your photos! So exciting to see something I've never seen before; those white beauty berries are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How delightful! I also love Joe Pye weed, and was astounded to see the white beautyberry! The Huntsville Botanical Gardens looks like a great one to visit. Never been there, though I am a N AL native. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I started oooing and ahhing from the first picture. Love the white beautiberries and Joe Pye of course is a fav. The best was the pic of your 2 fav guys though!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for taking us along on your tour.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!