Thursday, October 20, 2011

Through My Fathers Eyes

By SKEETER My parents recently visited my Georgia Gardens. It has been 2 years since they have seen my gardens other then in pictures or on this blog. That horrible flood and having to deal with renovating their house kept them away until now.
My dad strolled around the gardens with his camera and snapped all the pictures you shall see today. In this shot, you can see Rye Grass growing where the pool stood all summer long. I do believe his focal point was that banana tree. He kept talking about it when sitting at the patio. I find it interesting to see the pictures he snapped as I had no idea he was out strolling about.
Until seeing this picture, I never realized how country this little area looks.
I did not see any pictures of the Semi-Formal Garden but this shot of the entryway. I don't believe he entered the gates and I do not blame him. It was a mess at this stage and not very inviting. I have since done a lot of work in this garden and it is looking so much better now.
I showed you the swing and arbor filled with Cypress and Cardinal Vines a few days ago. This shot shows other beauties as well. As you can see, the chairs have been moved around at the table of the patio. No "staged" photographing by my dad. We had many laughs while sitting around that table with both mom, dad and my brother which was kind enough to bring them down to visit with us. While sitting at the table my dad said, "I see color in every direction I look." I was a happy gardener at that moment as that has been my goal for some time now. My mom said she wishes her mother were still alive to see my beautiful gardens. She said my grandmother would be so proud of me and would probably move in with me! I tell ya, it was enough to make a gal misty-eyed.

Mom sent me these pictures after they returned to Tennessee. It was fun seeing THROUGH MY FATHER'S EYE'S, In the Garden...
Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

20 comments:

  1. What a sweet post. Isn't it interesting to 'see' what others 'see' of our gardens. We are soon to be spreading our winter rye, hope it stays out of the gardens this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very sweet your parents sent you these photos. What a great look at the garden. You father did a good job on the photos and all is looking super! Congrats on color in all directions!! I know you've worked very hard on those large gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely. Your garden seems to sit so comfortably amongst the surrounding landscape. A real haven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How neat to see the garden through your Father's eyes, and to have him and your Mother both there to visit. His photos speak his words, plus he said he sees color all around and your Mother said your Grandmother would love what you have done. Those are lovely words to hear.

    I really love your vine covered swing area, really pretty. Looks magazine worthy to me.

    Enjoy ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Burrrrrr, a bit chilly this morning here in GA. Windy as well so it looks like a blue jean kind of day...

    Hobetz, thank you so much. It has been a work always in progress…

    Darla, ha, yes, I had a talk with the Saint before he spread the seed. He used the drop spreader instead of the broadcast this year. But I have seen some sprouts in places where they should not be but due to the rain washing it around a bit…

    Tina, As a gardener, you know the value of a parents praise! I am so proud of my gardens this year. They are finally filling in and looking really nice. I think staying home and tending them this year paid off as well. With my discovery of McCorkles sales, I shall add more fun things in time….

    Lorna, We are lucky to have such a beautiful woodsy setting for our gardens. It is our peaceful haven for sure…

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flowerlady, It was fun to see my gardens through dads eyes. I am grateful they are still with me to enjoy the beauty. Even though I long to have my grandmother see them, I do believe she sees them from above. And yes, she is proud some of her talents carried over to her only grand daughter...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Skeeter, I know how much your grandmother meant to you and I was a little misty eyed myself and was gonna tell you that she is seeing your wonderful gardens but you beat me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post, Skeeter! I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Isn't it great to see your garden through someone else's eyes? Especially when its the eyes of someone who knows and loves you like your dad?
    I loved your mother's comment! I think I'd love to move in too ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is an interesting perspective.
    I should try this with my son. That would be a riot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful. Sounds like they were delighted with your garden, and quite proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No matter how old we are, our parents' approval still means SO much to us, doesn't it?

    Your experience makes me think there MUST be such a thing as a gardening gene :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Widzieć piękny ogród oczami swojego ojca i "słyszeć" od niego pochwały, to cudowne. Pozdrawiam

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad your parents were able to see & enjoy your labor of love. It looks great.
    It's a bit nippy here. Was this morning. In the morning it is to be just a bit cooler. Yikes. Fall is here for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful to have your parents visit your gardens. My dad has been gone a long time now and I wish he were around snapping pics with his favorite camera. heck he would be showing me tips about photography too if he were here. My mom has not been well enough to come here to visit. I would love her to see the gardens. She did see my gardens at the old house when she came for our wedding 14 yrs ago. It was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! Isn't it nice to see your garden through someone else's eyes...especially your dad's? I think your mom is right, your grandmother would have to be proud! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's always nice to "see" our gardens through others' eyes. But it's particularly special when it's through the eyes of those you love. I'm sure your mother's words meant more to you than any garden award ever could. You have every right to be proud, Skeeter; your garden is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks everyone for your kind words. I am proud of my gardens this year and having my parents see it was a grand bonus and I thank them for all they have instilled into my soul. My nurturing nature, love of plants and animals come from them...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Skeeter, what a touching post. I am glad your folks got a chance to come visit. It is always interesting to see our gardens through someone else's eyes. Love seeing what drew your dad's attention. Wishing your grandmother could have seen your garden is a compliment from your mom as well. You have made a welcoming and comfortable garden.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Skeeter, you are so lucky to have such loving family, that understand and appreciate and acknowledge your passion for and skill at gardening. As has been said above, sweet post. cheers, catmint

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!