Thursday, November 10, 2011

Forget-Me-Not

By SKEETER
Here you see a Blue Daze flower blooming in my Georgia Gardens. This is NOT a forget-me-not flower as I do not have one to show you. But it is as close as I could get without borrowing one from the Internet. With our recent issues of a blog thief, I decided to not borrow one from the Internet. I will ask you to click HERE so Wikipedia can show you one.

The Forget-Me-Not flower has been used as a symbol for veterans since World War I. Some of you may be familiar with the paper Red Poppies and may even wear them during a Poppy Fundraiser Drive. I have never seen a Forget-Me-Not Drive but according to the DAV Site, (Click HERE), they do have the Drives. The Forget-Me-Not's are used in literature we receive with donations to the Disabled American Veteran's.

With our latest donation, we received a poem. With Veterans' Day being tomorrow, I would like to share the poem with you. Now keep in mind I DID NOT WRITE THIS POEM. I have searched high and low on the Internet and cannot find the author of this poem to give proper credit. I did find many poems about this beautiful flower though.

FORGET-ME-NOT

Forget-Me-Not
When you're lost in thought
As you make it through your day

Forget-Me-Not
I am one who fought
And was scarred along the way

Forget-Me-Not
For the Freedom bought
With the lives one can't repay

Forget-Me-Not
When your child is taught
To remember yesterday

Forget-Me-Not
When the day is hot
And you bend your knees to pray

Forget-Me-Not
Yes, I heard the shot
But I did not run away

Forget-Me-Not
I'm a patriot
And I need your help today...

Don't Forget Disabled Vets!

If you see a Veteran, give them a big smile and say thanks...
In the Garden...

Tina and Mr. Fixit, THANKS!!!

Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

19 comments:

  1. Hi Tina, this is so interesting, I have never heard of forget me nots for remembrance, only poppies. I guess poppies are big here in Australia because they are blood red and grew in Gallipoli. cheers, cm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone have a great day!

    I am off to get my yearly mammogram. Oh what fun to be squeezed in a vice....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Skeeter, I got mixed up and replied to Tina, then realized that it was you who wrote about the forget me nots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw how wonderful just in time for Veteran's Day! I love the poem. Just perfect! And thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great way to remind all of us of the debt we owe to all veterans; thank you, Skeeter. I'll echo the thank-you to Tina and Mr. Fix-it, too!

    You've also reminded me to make my mammogram appt:) No fun, but one of those things I wouldn't skip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks astonishingly like a "real" forget-me-not. And thank you for the poem. A beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful poem, Skeeter! Thanks for the reminder. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never hear the poem before but it is the truth and touching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a truly beautiful post, and I thank you for it! I loved the poem! You were very kind for your comments on my Veteran's Day post also. And thank you for your service also, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great poem. I've only seen the poppies given away. Now I'll start looking for forget-me-nots!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the poem. In Spanish we call it "no me olvides" which is a literal translation of the English, although I doubt it came from English. It's one of the few flowers I can recognise.

    Many thanks. That was a gem of a post.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely tribute for our disabled veterans Skeeter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is most important that we never Forget how many have sacrificed for our well being.....

    Everyone have a great weekend. We will be spending some time with family.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks to all of the Veterans!

    Great poem and post, Skeeter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Skeeter, Forget-me-not! Yes thanks to our Veterans, and we have heroes whose lives were just lost due to lawless elements, and they are implementing the law! Regarding things from the internet, i just also posted a video from Wikipedia but i put the source. I forgot whose blog it was but I've read earlier that someone got a poem, acknowledge the source, but apparently it is not the right source, as the real owner complained about it in the proper courts, and she was so sorry she ever used a poem. Apparently, the source she acknowledge was just a plagiarist and not the real owner. In the future I will just do what you did, put the link in words. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Words cannot describe the Thankfulness in my heart! Would you like me to send you some Forget-Me-Not seeds? I posted a photo of them today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love to learn the history behind flowers and this is very special. I love these flowers and welcome them in spring. Now I will welcome them for a more special reason. My neighbor across the street lost her husband in Iraq 2 years ago. He left behind 3 children...this poem certainly hits home. I will talk with her to perhaps plant some of these from my garden to hers...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have that poem on the back of my bookmark! That's so weird, and i wanted to say that poem at a school assembly but i didn't know who to give the credit to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, I searched high and low and could not find the writer either. I have it on a book mark as well...

      Delete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!