Friday, April 26, 2013

Tennessee Dixter Part III


DSCN6588
My last post on Tennessee Dixter, the garden of Jimmy Williams, takes us through his lower garden which is mainly a woodland garden.
DSCN6609
These paths were made of moss! I so covet moss paths and have worked hard here in my gardens to change the grass in some areas to moss. It is not an easy thing to do.
DSCN6610
The garden ornaments were very graceful and appropriate. They ranged from the above formal pot to homemade cedar trellises with a bowling ball on top.
DSCN6611
Evergreens are a necessity in a well rounded garden. I liked the informality of how these evergreen boxwoods were displayed for interest on the hillside below the house.
DSCN6613
Another pond with goldfish. I happen to think Japanese maples and ponds go together. This Japanese maple is centrally displayed as a focal point.
DSCN6614
Pieris japonica (the white flowered shrub) is a lovely woodland shrub. For more information check my post found here.
DSCN6615
Some of Jimmy's evergreens were shaped into forms. Here a bunny says goodbye to us on our way out.
DSCN6616
Snowflakes (Leucojum vernalis and aestivum) play well in the spring garden. Here they are paired with ajuga and camassia.
DSCN6632
We are now on our way out and back to the parking area. This small lawn with a raised bed area holding an urn was a bit of formality.
DSCN6619
And one last picture I could not let get by. This wonderful display color garden was designed to be viewed from the balconies above. The garden is in the shape of a half pinwheel with evergreens separating the 'pie' into slices. The rock wall was wonderful. Behind this garden and barely visible is Jimmy's Voodoo Room, aka his gardening area. It was quite a neat area and probably should have a post of its own but for now I'll just leave you with these three posts on Tennessee Dixter....

in the garden....
Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

15 comments:

  1. Oh, my! How beautiful. Is this open to the public or was it a special "open garden"? Thanks for an informative and beautiful tour of yet another beautiful space. (I agree about the Japanese maples & water going together....and the scattered boxwood made for an eye-pleasing sight.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope those of us that couldn't make this tour get to go...it's just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you again for this lovely post on these wonderful, peaceful gardens.

    A friend told me that she takes moss and buttermilk and blends it in her blender then spreads it where she wants moss to grow. Maybe you could do this for your paths. Moss is wonderful and I even have some down here in s.e. FL.

    Happy gardening ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. How peaceful. I'm a woodland garden "convert". Ok I had no choice when we built our new house in the woods. Wish I could grow Japanese maples here...;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely garden! Wonderful place to wander, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to walk down that path and sit on the bench. How fabulous that the paths were moss! That made me want to walk down the path barefoot! Love the little bunny! It made me smile to see it. With all the evergreens, I imagine this garden is beautiful in every season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for taking us on this tour, Tina! I have been hit and miss with blog reading lately, so I went back and read your two earlier posts. What an amazing garden! You must have been enthralled the whole time you were touring this. I loved all the rustic, natural areas and touches; they must come as a surprise to visitors after seeing the more formal areas in front. Hope you'll give us a peek into his "voodoo room" one day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice garden! Spring has finally come to Maine: 60s an Cote's is open.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that was quite a garden. I do love Japanese maples, but my shady area is only a few feet wide, so I'll keep dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love this garden. Jimmy really has an eye for design and for plant material. How lucky that you could tour it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, what a beautiful tour. I loved every bit of it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a new appreciation for woodland gardens (now that I have one..a very different challenge!). What a glorious garden, thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Tina, those topiaries under the trees are so lovely. But much more so is the pond among those lush growths, wonderful. It is exciting to explore this garden, as there are so many unexpected finds in every nooks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this is some garden you have shared with us! Formal and Woodland, it gets no better then that! The textures are a great combination. Lucky you to be able to enjoy Dixter Gardens!

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!