Mr. Fix-it and I spent a few days in the garage. I am no shrinking violet when it comes to woodworking, but I have a hard time visualizing how to get to the finished project in the simplest and most logical way. I usually take the long way around. Very counterproductive. In the case of my wheelbarrow, Mr. Fix-it was a reluctant partner.
We both worked on the project but he did most of the design work. I hammered a few nails and told him how I wanted it to look as he went along, but he built this wheelbarrow himself. I am sure he is still wondering how I conned him into building it on his days off during the holiday. Actually, it just took him about eight hours to build it, and he really didn't have much to do on his must do list, so it worked out for me!
I have a little small farmer's cart I purchased in Germany. I used to use it for flowers until it literally fell apart. I am trying to repair it, and if I am successful I will wisely place it under the covered porch, instead of in the elements. This wheelbarrow Mr. Fix-it built will not be harmed by the elements and will take the place of my little cart from Germany. All wood is pressure treated and it is stained with a good outdoor stain. I plan to use it for some potted houseplants and annuals for outside color in a front garden.
I pick up old wheels when visiting flea markets. I happened to have two decorating the garden. One was the perfect wheel for my 'new old' wheelbarrow. I just love reusing and repurposing items. I have had some wheels for years and only just now came up with the idea they would work so great in a wheelbarrow. If you have some wheels decorating your garden, they too might work for a new wheelbarrow. The rounded rails on the top of the sides and front are salvaged pieces of our broken split rail fence. The rails were cut in half and notched so as to fit over the side boards nicely and shelter the plywood edges from the rain.
I thought the finished wheelbarrow looked a little too plain for my tastes, so I painted a few designs on it. Starting with a big R in front (for Ramsey) and finishing with some shasta daisies on the two big sides. I hope the designs hold up well outside but I have my doubts. I would post a picture of the painted product, but alas, my computer bit the dust and is out of commission for a few days. Jimmy is kind enough to let me use his, which works for the Internet, but little else.
Maybe not a relic from Europe, but a relic in the Ramsey household none the less.
in the garden....