Thursday, January 24, 2008

Two Rivers Tree Alliance (TRTA)


I am betting most of Clarksville does not even know what Two Rivers Tree Alliance (TRTA) is or does, or has even heard of it. Maybe you all can help get the word out. The TRTA is a fairly new and loosely formed group of dedicated individuals who love trees. They try to educate the public on the value of trees, sponsor tree activities, work with the Clarksville Tree Board, the Extension Agent (Karla Kean) and the Clarksville City Forester, and are an information network of informed individuals willing to help the public with specific problems concerning trees.

The majority of the active members in this organization are Tennessee Citizen Foresters. To become a citizen forester you must attend 40 hours of training and complete a 25 hour volunteer requirement within one year of completing the training.

Citizen foresters are normal citizens, we just have a little more training to go with our passion for living things and trees in particular. There are some really dedicated people in this organization but they need more interest and involvment to truly make a big difference in Clarksville. A big difference that most people don't even recognize, but I guarantee you that if all the trees in Clarksville were cut down, citizens would take notice. Conversely, planting more trees (the right one in the right place) and beautifying the city and county are going to make a big difference too. The difference may be subtle but newcomers and long time residents will subconsciously appreciate landscaping and shade and beauty and be more likely to resettle here and stay here for the longterm. Trees are important but without some guidance their importance may turn into a negative item, such as with topping or blocking or destroying roads and homes and power lines. Citizen foresters help to ensure trees do not become problems while espousing their uses in our community. For more information about the Tennessee Urban Forestry Program click on the following link:
http://www.tufc.com/winter08.pdf to read their newsletter.

There is a meeting of TRTA scheduled Tuesday, 29 January 2008 at 6:30 pm at the extension office on Cumberland Road. Karla Kean is a point of contact for information and can be reached at 648-5725. Additionally, this year's training to become a good tree citizen is scheduled to begin February 12-March 11 from 6:30-8:30 pm at the extension office. Classes are held on Tuesday weekly, but in case of imclement weather which forces the Montgomery County School System to close, classes will also be cancelled. Karla is currently accepting registrations. Cost of the classes is $50 which includes all study materials AND an excellent Tree Field Guide. The field guide alone costs approximately $30 so you are getting a deal to get the lectures too! Go sign up and spread the word around. Citizens from surrounding counties (and I am sure states) are welcomed.

in the garden....

11 comments:

  1. Nice program that everyone should have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is, mom. I bet Maine also has one-though I haven't checked. That would be for you and Dawn with peaches to do.

    Please tell my two children up there, their ol' mom is going through stuff-spring cleaning you know-and they will be having some momentos headed their way. Their turn for it to collect dust or be trashed. bye now. onto the seed cleaning. next big chore of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure we have a club starting with Pine Tree....something....something. Our town actually has a tree warden, everyone teases him about arresting a oak on a "stick-up". Boo...what small towns do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tree warden, ummm, that is a new one. We call it "City Forester" down here but tree warden does have a certain ring to it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does sound like a great program...

    Hey Tina, in our paper down here in GA this morning, in the garden section, they were talking about using Shredded paper from your home office shredder in the compost pile! We have tons of shredded paper and it usually goes to the trash can! Duh, on my part for never thinking about that one! But since I dont have a compost pile, I guess I never put too much thought into it!

    I am putting some thought into a compost pile now though. I always thought they needed to be out of sight but since seeing how neat they can be, I think one by the garden will look okay for me! I have some stacked tree logs that I think would make a great 3 sided border (container) for a compost pile. What do you think???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there Skeeter!
    Good morning! Cold one up here. Shredded newspapers are great in the compost pile. They add the carbon element so you want to make sure you add kitchen scraps and stuff to add the nitrogen element. Spread them around and don't bunch them too much.

    Logs would be great as a compost bin. Did you get the trees all cleaned up and these are from the trees? I love my compost bin. It is in plain sight and most people wouldn't like that, but my garden is a working garden and I want things accessible-so it is close enough to put stuff in (2-3 trips per day) and close enough to take stuff out of! You can make them beautiful no problem. Send me a picture once you get it complete. You will wonder why you didn't have one before after about one year. I don't turn mine (unless my grown son is in town) so mine takes a little longer to cook, but that is ok, so that is why say it takes about one year. Maybe sooner in Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Skeeter that sounds like a great idea. Duh here also. We have a great recycling center so I save every little scrap of paper for it. I do keep my shreded paper in a seperate bag so hubby can put it in the paper bin but always look at it and think there should be a good use for it. Now I know! Thanks for sharing that good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We shred, careful squirrel like it. Perfect nesting material.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also put our paper shred in the compost bin. My composter is (a purchased one, as I have said before I am not creative) and is located close to the house and my gardening bench.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dawn, Skeeter will have to be much more careful with her shredded paper because she has some very bold little squirrels who not only love fake snow, but will surely love shredded papers.

    Nina,
    Purchased composters work just as good as homemade ones. My good gardening friend, Nancy, who is a mentor to me and watches out for me always, gave me a purchased one she wasn't using anymore. So I have a homemade bin and premade bin. I use them both. Actually, the one she gave me is in the front yard because it is more attractive. Good you have it by your garden bench conveniently located to put those shredded papers into.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!