Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Garden Gifts

By Skeeter
I have something new in my Georgia Garden! My parents sent me a card for my birthday last month and also a little green was included. Of course, I knew I was going to turn that green into something for the garden but I had no idea until we visited the Habitat for Humanity Restore that I was getting an arbor!
This arbor is made from old closet doors which I found cheaply priced. I found three sets and they were in perfect condition! One can find great things at the restore.
I painted them with outside latex paint (per my local hardware guys advice) in hopes they will last a long time. I know non-treated wood outside is not smart but I decided to go for it. We also have the structure on top of gravel instead of the soil for less rotting.
The Saint dug deep holes and filled them with quickcrete and put posts in them to attach the panels. The post used is from the old swing top, click HERE to see that recent project. We are recycling them as they will be sturdy enough for this project. He attached them with zinc screws and L-brackets for extra support. We placed one single panel across the top. Hum, what to do with that one remaining panel... Any suggestions?
I then headed to the Garden Center with the remaining green backs and found two plants to trail the arbor. I chose Swamp Jessamine as my plants.
Swamp Jessamine has yellow blooms and the tag says it will bloom in both spring and fall. It is an evergreen foliage which I like and also attracts hummingbirds which I adore! It is a hardy plant to 10-degrees which we rarely get to in our area.
These pictures were taken back on April 1. I have more going on in this area since then and also less weeds then you see here, ha ha. I will show that with another posting. I just love GARDEN GIFTS, In the Garden...

A Special thank you to my mother and father for making this gift possible for me!


Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team,

In the Garden

25 comments:

  1. I love the arbor, Skeeter. It was witty to use the closet doors! Great find.
    Belated birthday wishes! It was a great gift that you parents gave you! Thoughtful too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very nice and the yellow will be so pretty against the white. Use the remaining panel as a stand alone trellis for a clematis or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skeeter,
    You have a one of a kind arbor! Seems the top needs something though, perhaps a 12 inch french door panel stood on end?

    Got the gifts you sent, loved them. I planted the ceramic signs out in the garden with some ceramic goodies Meg brought home from pottery class. The tin can we still have to find a place for it, it is so cute. Thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skeeter ~ What a wonderful way to use recycled louvered doors. They should last you a good while, since you have them painted, plus they are mounted to a pole that is set in concrete. They are going to look wonderful with that jessamine covering them.

    Since Randy brought it up about the top needing something, maybe you could attach the remaining door, to the top door, as a skirt.

    I think you did a wonderful job and how nice to think of your folks when you look at this piece.

    Enjoy ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! You are super good with repurposing those doors. The jessamine will be super good on it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Habitat ReStores are awesome place to get items for the garden. You were very creative with your find. Your arbor looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that's just pure genius! Good idea Skeeter!-- Randy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning all. I have a four legged house guest keeping me and the cats running. I have two appointments today so no time to chat. I will pop back in when I get a chance this afternoon....

    Everyone have a wonderful day in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to repurpose! I love the arbors and I'm sure any one of the climbers in your garden will love to climb up the extra panel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Skeeter, You are a clever girl! I love the arbor and the reuse project. I am heading to Habitat store to get mirrors for my mosaic project today! Happy gardening! gail

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a clever idea. I will keep this in mind, I believe there is a Habitat restore in Greenwood...who knows what I might find. Look forward to hearing how your weathers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's the cutest arbor I've ever seen, what a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very creative Skeeter! I think your painted wood will do fine for a long time. You may have to repaint it in a couple years though. Very neat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good morning Skeeter, your new arbor looks great. I wish I had your imagination. Would have never thought of something like that.

    For a couple years I have been trying to decide on an arbor between the garden and the garage area. So far can't come up with an original idea.

    Wanted to let you know I received the little frog rain gage. It is so cute. Last fall I broke my old rain gage so this is just perfect!!!. Thank you so much.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a clever idea, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very creative, i can visualize how it will look like in a few weeks time. I am as excited as those who put in a lot of labor.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea! I think you chose the right plant for it. I'm looking for something to attract hummingbirds. I'm told that cardinal vine is good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so clever & creative Skeeter. I love your new arbor, great way to recycle those louvered doors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What are great idea, you are so creative. I love the look of the Jessamine against it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for all the wonderful comments everyone! It has been an in and out day for me with stress worrying about if my cats have killed the dog without me around to supervise! Yikes, I hope not on my shift. I am about at the end of another project but must get back at it now as it may rain on us. We could use the rain as we have less then an inch in the past 5 weeks. Plus it would be great to have the rain on all the new things I have planted this spring. Off I go now….

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now that is one beautiful and clever idea. I love it. It would go so well with my potting bench with the window and shutters on it. No, I won't come and steal it. LOL! It looks so pretty in your garden. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it! I think when the vine covers it, it will be perfect!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a clever use of recycled materials, Skeeter! The arbor really sets off this garden area. Looking forward to seeing it covered in blooms later in the season.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great job. You will ejoy it for a long time.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!