Friday, October 26, 2007

Hatching Wrens








Here are some pictures of birds in the garden Skeeter shared and I thought you all might like to peek in at the newly hatched wrens all the way through the fledgling stage. It is a common tale that if you handle newborn baby birds then the mother will abandon her nest and babies. This is simply not true. I have researched my birding book and found only certain types of waterfowl will possibly abandon their nests if they are disturbed. The types of birds we will find in our backyards (titmouse, sparrows, cardinals, finches, wrens, bluebirds, blue jays, mockingbirds, chickadees and robins to name a few) will NOT abandon their nests and babies. I have found some parents to be very tolerant of observers and handlers of their baby birds. Other parents-notably robins, mockingbirds and blue jays will let you know in a not so nice way they are not happy with the interruption but they will not abandon their young. Seeing and holding a baby bird is a gift from Mother Nature that children will never forget and is a great way to share in gardening.



What kinds of birds have you all found nesting in your garden and which is your favorite bird? Let me know which is your favorite bird and why and we will conduct an informal straw poll. My vote is for chickadees because they have such big personalities, always on the move and are always scolding you! My next would be hummingbirds because they are also always chattering to themselves when they feed-does anyone know why?

in the garden....

3 comments:

  1. Tina,
    In 6 years of living in this house, I have documented 54 different types of birds in our backyard! And that is Not counting the different sparrows because I have a hard time identifying them. I love them all but my favorites have to be the Bluebirds, Wrens, Titmouse, Chickadees, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Nuthatch, Brown bats and all the Woodpeckers. I love it when I am working (playing) in the garden and my bird friends are singing to me! Just does wonders to my soul… This year I will leave the dead flowers and plants in the garden to act as shelter for them during the winter. I get a kick out of watching the birds taking a bath in the bird bath in the garden. They have the best time splashing around while surrounded by the pretty flowers…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Skeeter,
    Good to hear from you. 54 birds is a great amount of bird types! Much more than I have seen. Is the bluebird you all time favorite? I like chickadees the best.

    I finally figured out how to archive and only display a few postings at one time. Let me know if it is better.

    Anyone else out there have a favorite bird or bird story they would like to share? Which bird is your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can’t seem to pick just one! I love them all but the Pileated woodpecker rates high on my list but I don’t see them as often as I would like. They are a private bird and stay mostly in the woods... I love the colors in the Cardinal and Blue Jays. I admire the parenting of the Bluebirds. I enjoy the squeak of the nuthatch. I get a joy from looking at the cute little button eyes of the titmouse. I get a thrill from how close I can get to the Chickadees and the Wrens when they are on nest. Don’t make me pick just one, I love them all for different reasons….

    And yes the blog opened up faster for me tonight.. So it must have worked…. Keep up the wonderful garden chat! Maybe some one else will join us to chat as well…..

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!